Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwats612

double oven--Kitchen Aid?

jwats612
11 years ago

We are considering replacement of a 27" double oven..Maytag,Frigidaire, Kitchen Aid, Jenn Air all fit the current cut out--European brands apparently do not. I would really prefer not to modify cabinet. The 27" size excludes many brands

The sales person was recommending Kitchen Aid as the best mid level choice.

Wondered if anyone had experience or opinions

Thanks

John

Comments (2)

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Kitchenaid ovens "seem" to be making a comeback here in Gardenweb. However many of us still remember the huge problem they had with the self cleaning problems a few years back, and worse than that, was the way it was handled, (To the best of our knowledge), they never admitted the problem, and many folks were left out there "Stranded", so to speak.

We have seen a few new posts, that complain about bigger and louder fans now used, to prevent a "repeat performance" of the self cleaning problem---so do take that into account.

To me, the new ones have not been out long enough, nor do we have enough info (Yet) in garden web to recommend them.

While the Electrolux is an European company, their ovens are made right here in the good old US of A. They also did a huge amount of research back in the early 2000's to determine what the folks in the USA wanted as far as appliances go, and at least to me, with their ovens, they hit the target, straight in the center!

We recommend downloading the installation manuals for any appliance one is considering. That will tell you all about the cutouts needed, wiring location etc etc---while you're at it download the Operator's Manuals too!

Good luck on your pending choices!

Gary

• bpath
    11 years ago

We are also replacing a 27" double oven. I can't help you with the KitchenAid question, but I can tell you this: Go to the dealer at the quietest time of day, such as Friday evening at closing. Ask the salesperson to turn on an oven for you, not in demo mode, but so that you can hear the fan. Keep in mind that the fan is on from the time the oven starts to heat up until it cools back down, 45 minutes or more AFTER you turn off the oven. Do a search here on your oven, and also search for "oven noise". I wish we had done those first, instead of installing a Whirlpool and immediately exchanging it for a Bosch, due to arrive in 2 days.

The installers did have to do minor cabinet modification to get the Whirlpool to fit, and I imagine the Bosch will require that, too. We also had to replace the 20-amp supply line with 40-amps. I think it's worth it to get the oven you want.