Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Can you toast in a microwave?

chisue
10 years ago

I would like to have ONE countertop appliance in my kitchen that will microwave, make toast and warm rolls. Is this impossible?

I dislike the OTR microwave in one kitchen and the built-in combo microwave/oven in the other one.

We use a toaster-oven twice a day. We use a microwave several times a day. Each kitchen has a conveniently out-of-the-way corner currently occupied by a toaster-oven.

Comments (13)

• weissman
    10 years ago

No, you can't toast in a microwave. You can toast under a broiler in an oven if you watch if carefully and turn it over yourself.

• chisue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was afraid of that.

Do you want to toast or scrape? LOL

• plllog
    10 years ago

Even the Advantium, which is a speed oven that has both microwave and convection oven abilities (more powerful than a standard convection microwave), and claims to toast, doesn't make good toast like toaster toast.

You may have posted about your kitchens but I haven't seen it. What you could do is create a framework for a toaster or toaster oven and a microwave, chosen to look good together, that would help them coexist in the same place. Is there room to have the toaster oven on a shelf over the microwave, for instance? Perhaps convert your out of the way corner into a small appliance haven?

I don't make toast much anymore because my old toaster oven, which was great at toasting stuff that doesn't do well in a popup toaster, died, and the replacement, which was best reviewed in the toaster class (i.e., not the level of the Breville oven), is bigger but doesn't toast well enough to live on the counter. It's in a drawer with other small appliances. Sigh.

• nyrgirl35
    10 years ago

Check out the link I attached below. Bertazzoni claims its microwave/ convection oven can toast. I can't find any reviews on it. I tried posting about it here and in the kitchen forum, but didn't get anywhere. I'm really considering this, just wish I knew someone that had it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bertazzoni

• plllog
    10 years ago

The Bertazzoni might work, Chisue. It's actually a small speed oven and has a broiling element. That's the big difference. A broiling element is more useful for toasting the top of a casserole than toasting toasted bread, but if you're not too picky you should be able to make toast.

What concerns me is that this video is from Purcell Murray, who are distributors in California who put on a lot of live demos and classes. They have an excellent reputation and I personally have found their cooking advice to be high quality. I don't blame them for styling the food for the video, or for having it all be obviously cold. However, regarding the "toasting", notice that we're shown the tops of whole bagels, unevenly toasted frozen waffles, and an unevenly toasted, frozen breakfast sandwich. And a really disgusting looking, char-splotched steak that has been broiled. And not a beautiful, golden, caramelized surface of a lovely piece of toasted bread. I'm thinking if it could do it, they'd have shown it. The emphasis was more on replacing the oven features of a toaster oven than the toast features.

I think both of you need to see this thing installed and bring your own tester foods to see if it does what you need in operation before you go spending money, especially because it requires a built in installation.

• nyrgirl35
    10 years ago

Plllog how does that work with the built in cut out? I figured I would do the cutout for 30" they have the trim for it since it's really 24". I figured if down the road I had to change it 30" is a more the standard size? I checked the specs on the ge advantium and they are close but not exact. How does that work?

• plllog
    10 years ago

NYrgirl, I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't know what "the built in cut out" is. Are you referring to a piece of stock cabinetry meant for built-in ovens? If so, I really don't know anything about that. My cabinets are all 100% custom.

The rest of your question I can answer better. Yes, trimming in an oven in a 30" wide cabinet is a good hedge against the future, though 24" is also a standard size. It's both 2' and a tad more than 60 cm. Both nicely round numbers. As are 30"/75cm. You're at an advantage because the inch measures are a fraction bigger than the metric ones. It shouldn't be hard to replace a 24" oven well into the future. Think of all those tiny kitchens in massively expensive tiny apartments in Asia and Europe. But if you think you might want to change the oven for some new technology walking down the road that needs a little more space, 30" is a safe bet.

I'm not sure which specs on the Advantium don't work. If you mean the measurements, what don't they work with? A stock cabinet? They're the same width as GE single ovens. I'm guessing a 30" oven cabinet is actually a tad larger so that it can accommodate a 30" oven. My custom ones were designed with trim panels rather than just open gaps for the ovens, so the cabinets themselves are several inches bigger.

If you want to know more about sizes and specs and how they work, start a new thread with a detailed subject line, like, "How does a 30" oven work with a built in cutout?" There are people here who do know the answer.

• nyrgirl35
    10 years ago

Thanks Plllog!!

• chisue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there a reason there are no toaster/microwaves? Perhaps heating elements can't withstand micro-waves?

Seems to me both appliances have about the same useful lifespans.

• plllog
    10 years ago

Chisue, I can't even find a good, new toaster oven! By that, I mean one that makes good toast. But, yes, I think the technologies are probably incompatible. They do make those toaster ovens with a popup toaster attached, or with a couple of electric burners on top, etc. They've been making them for decades, so they must sell well enough to keep making them.

Maybe what they need to do is figure out how to make an appliance that's a convection microwave with a toasting drawer underneath, kind of like the broiler on a gas oven. It would only need to be the height of one of the old, good toast toaster ovens, like 6-8" high, Just enough room in the drawer for a bagel or a baking dish. Then have a small microwave on top. If it would require too much electricity to use both at once, there could just be a switch to choose modes.

So...I figured I couldn't be the only one, and I Googled. They do make microwaves with popup style toasters attached, though they pop out instead of up. There's a little door that covers the slots when not in use. Another version has a basket that slides out instead of the slots.

THEN I found this picture of exactly what I described on Pinterest. It's supposed to be Kenmore but the link is broken.

HA! Found it! Through Google Images camera thing. It's LG and is supposed to be a convection microwave pizza oven combo. There's also a Daewoo MW with a little pizza compartment in the top. Do they eat a lot of pizza in Korea, or is this what they think Americans want? Lots of good reviews, including one that talks about toast being browned on both sides. Didn't rave about the toast (didn't rate the quality of the toast at all, just compared it to toaster oven), but it toasts. :) Apparently, everybody is wowed by the frozen pizza setting. :)

Someone on Chowhound said the Miele speed oven with the Max Broil setting did a good job toasting a bagel.

• chisue
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pillog -- Wow! Thanks for the research...and FIND! Now I'll try to find these for myself.

My 15-year-old Krups toaster/broiler/oven makes good toast, but it's not fast. I never broil in this thing because I don't want to have to try to clean it. I do use its' broiler pan in my built-in oven/broiler when just doing a couple of chops -- then eventually use self-clean in the oven.

• darlien
    6 years ago

I have a 30 year old Sharp Hot Stuff. It toasts, bakes and microwaves. I'd love to find a new one. Does anyone know where I can?

• plllog
    6 years ago

I couldn't find anything by searching so I think your best bet would be eBay.