Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takkone_gw

Pipe diameter for gas range

Takkone
12 years ago

I ordered a Capital Culinarian range 36" wide four burners plus griddle. Had a plumber come out and look at the existing natural gas line and hookup for my old range, typical 30" consumer range. Current line running to range is 40' of 1/2" pipe then a short flexline. Plumber suggested replacing the 40' run with 1" pipe. Called Capital and spoke to an engineer who said they have no volume requirement for the range, only a pressure requirement of 6" water column. He thought 1/2" pipe would be fine but he was not given any info about the length of pipe.

Called my utility company. They said the house is supplied with 7" water column pressure at the meter. They said thatbequates to about 250,000 BTU capacity. They said just add up the total BTU requirements (clothes dryer, furnace, hot water heater, and range) and if i am around 250-275k BTU I should be fine. Although they also said the plumber could be right about the 1" pipe but that its not on their side of the meter.

Anyone know who to beleive and what to decide? Replacing 40' of pipe ain't cheap.

Comments (8)