Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpg2004

gas cooktop: DCS vs. Electrolux vs Bosch vs???

mpg2004
10 years ago

Hi,

Just found out that we need to replace our 36" gas cooktop. I'd like to find something available locally, in the $1000-$1300 price range, easy to clean (as easy as a gas cooktop can be that is!). I went to the local appliance stores today and liked the DCS 36" drop-in cooktop, the Electrolux wave-touch 36" cooktop & the Bosch 800 series cooktop. I've read reviews that the Bosch scratches easily. The specs for the DCS call for a more powerful hood than we have. My most used pans all fit fine on all 3. Any advice on which of these to go with or avoid?

thanks,
Michelle

Comments (5)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

The Bosch is actually 37" so this might be a problem since it is a replacement. Bosch does not specify its lowest simmer point.

Electrolux matches 18k btu high and gives you a specific 450 btu simmer. Of the three that is probably what I would go with.

• sas95
    10 years ago

We have had a DCS 48" cooktop for 3 years and are very happy with it. No issues at all. Burners are powerful and it simmers really well.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i have the 36" DCS drop in gas cooktop-- have had it for ~ 5-6yrs. we could not easily put in a hood above our island cooktop (existing- we just replaced cooktop) so we put in a dcs pop-up fan- just needed to get the granite cut to fit it since the cooktop that was there was a jennair down draft...
    i love the cooktop--- has worked without any issues since we got it and simmers extremely well. i chose it because i liked it's appearance best when compared to similarly priced 36" cooktops!! (i specifically liked the grates better than the kitchenaid and bosch, which is the 3 i narrowed it down to.)
    the fan is just fair,(better than the downdraft tho!) but i don't do alot of frying at high temps which might result in alot of smoke or grease.

• redjmartin
    10 years ago

We have the 36" Bosch 800 cooktop in stainless (NGM8654UC) and we're very happy with it. As deeageaux mentioned, it is a little wider - the specs call for a 34 15/16" (887 mm) cutout width.

We've had ours installed for over 5 months and have had zero problems with scratching. The "low" burner simmers very nicely, but as mentioned earlier Bosch doesn't publish a specific spec. It's easy to clean and I think the grates are well made - solid and flat.

Overall we've been very pleased with the Bosch cooktop, but I can't really compare to your other options.

Ed

• jammin1944
    9 years ago

I purchased Electrolux cooktop and double oven five years ago.
    Had the oven serviced 5 times. I let the warranty run out because I didn't want to invest more money in it. It still does not hold the temperature in the oven. Support from Electrolux was "call a service repairman". Repairmen replaced the thermostat TWICE. Useless, waste of money.

As soon as I can save enough money, I will replace.

My cooktop works ok, but I spilled some water in it and now the burners won't ignite. So much for a closed system, $500 to replace ignition system. Am just going to purchase a new cooktop.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ELECTROLUX EVER. Poor quality.