Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimman

Anyone have a pic of a Zephyr Tempest 2 Hood

Marc Miller
11 years ago

I have not been able to find any pictures of the Zephyr Tempest 2 (ii) hood other than stock photos. Anyone on the forum have some pictures you can share of the installed hood in your kitchen? Trying to decide between the Venezia and Tempest. Thanks.

Comments (27)

• jahrms
    11 years ago

The Venezia and Tempest 2 appear to be very different hoods. The Venezia is 12" tall, has a telescopic duct cover and the sides taper in. Venezia also has Zephyr's DCBL Suppression System running at 715 CFM. Tempest 2 is more of your traditional, 18" tall professional style hood with baffle filters, no adjustable duct covers but has multiple blower options.

I'd say the Venezia will have a "lighter" look and feel whereas the Tempest 2 is more professional looking and seems to have a bigger footprint.

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the differences in design and specs. Looking for pics of the Tempest installed. I believe dig on these forums has the exact setup I am looking to install and hoing he/she will respond. Bluestar36" 6-burner rangetop with the Tempest 2.

• Boilermaker98
    10 years ago

I'm in the same boat as swimman. I've tried an image search for a AK7536ASX Zephyr Tempest II 36" but have only found stock pics.

I also have a 36" Blue star 6 burner and after exhaustive searching this hood looks like the best choice for my price range.

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Boilmaker - I guess Dig is no longer frequenting the forums as they installed a Tempest 2. When my install is complete I'll get some pics up although that will not be for a couple/few months - house has only been framed so far. I do believe it will be the Tempest 2 but am working on some issues with the builder. Can't wait to get all this behind me!

• lafacia
    10 years ago

I think that's what we have - and are planning to re-use in new kitchen. I will check shortly and take a picture for you.

• lafacia
    10 years ago

Sorry - no time to research and be sure but wanted to post it for you in case it's what you are looking for. Please excuse the unpainted cabinet sides and trim etc. - we put in a new cooktop and hood when we moved in a few years ago and are going to re-use them now as we fully renovate the kitchen.

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Getting closer to closing on the house. Took a couple of quick pics with my phone today at the inspection. I'll get better pics at some point. Sorry for the glare from the pendant chandeliers (have not installed the glassware yet).

The hood is the Zephyr Tempest II with internal dual blower and a Bluestar 36" 6-burner.

• missmeghan702
    10 years ago

swimman - wondering if you are happy with your hood? Looks fantastic btw.

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

missmeghan - Yes, loving the hood. Works very well even though we mounted it 36" above the rangetop. The halogen lights are also a nice item and illuminate the cooking surface nicely. It is not too loud although it makes it presence known on level 2 and 3. You can tell it's sucking when you hit level three as the baffles are sucked up against the housing as if they are trying to exit the house!

The only issue we have is the 10" duct cover on the outside of the home (not a Zephyr product). When there is wind outside the cover slaps against the main body of the duct creating a noise inside the home as well as outside. This has been an issue in two other homes with this type of duct cover. The builder is aware of the issue and has a new style on order (I checked and this cover does not have a spring to keep the cover closed - it just hangs loosely). I have temporarily installed foam tape around the duct so the cover cannot make the noise when it closes.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have add'l questions.

Still working on getting better pics. Need to find the time and a clean kitchen!

This post was edited by swimman on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 19:14

• Vivi
    10 years ago

Swimman-
    WOW!! I Love your BEAUTIFUL new kitchen!! Congrats!! We are close to beginning the building our new home and I am showing your kitchen to our builder!! Can you help me out with your ceiling height in the kitchen? And one other question, if you don't mind answering....if you do, pls disregard ;>) What did you end up paying for the rangetop and hood? Did you buy them locally, thru builder or online? Thanks so much!

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

vivi88 - Thanks for your comments. The ceiling height is 10'. I think the kitchen looks better in person than in the pics but at least you get the idea.

I'll send you an email regarding the pricing. Thanks again!

• Vivi
    10 years ago

Thanks Swimman!! Got your email and this helps me a lot! I think I want my ceiling height in kitchen at 9'. Anyhow, I love the kitchen! Thanks for helping me.
    Vivi

• missmeghan702
    10 years ago

Swimman -thought I posted a reply but it's not showing up. Is that the bluestar? Were highly considering this or the cooktop. How do you like it? Is it difficult to clean?

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Miss meghan - yes that is the Bluestar 36" 6-burner rangetop. It is different from their drop in cooktop. Really like the unit so far. It's not difficult to clean and in fact did so today. Just got finished making a pesto pasta meal for the family and the oil for stir frying the veggies got all over the grates. Took me one minute to wipe the grates and any remaining oil will cook on to them the next time it's fired up. Everything is slowly getting seasoned and finally not looking so new!

• constructionewbie7
    9 years ago

Hello fellow tempest 2 owners,

Would anyone be able to enlighten me on how to install the baffle filters ?
    My manual is not helpful

I am pushing against the springs and trying to fit filter in groove in front
    Is this the correct way?

Thanks in advance

• Cyndi Ritchey
    3 years ago

I know this post is a few years old but just found it & hope Marc will be able to respond.
    Wondering...Did you use the Tempest 2 duct cover? My ceiling is also 10’ but have a 30” space above the hood. I can only find a 12” extension.

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cyndi - I used the 12" cover as it was a good fit for my install. I would give Zephyr a call to see if they can custom make a piece to fit your area. At the very least, a local metal fabricator should be able to make a piece for you.

• Cyndi Ritchey
    3 years ago

Thanks for your reply! I will pass this along to the project manager

• hellonasty
    3 years ago

Hi Marc - Planning a kitchen in a new build. Def getting 36" all gas Bluestar range (open burners) and am considering Tempest II (42") - I noticed you mentioned yours has an internal dual blower - what does that mean exactly? The sales lady said we can get 1300cfm for more $ - is this what you mean? Do we need more power than 650 CFM blower that it comes with? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, EV

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hellonasty - when we built, the Tempest was available with a single or dual motor blower. We opted for the dual due to a greater flow rate. It depends on your cooking style and what you cook. The dual blower will definitely suck the unwanted odors out of the house much better than the lower cfm unit. When on high, it sucks the three filters against the frame as if it's trying to eject the filters from the house. You can tell the dual blowers really suck! If I had to do it again, I would spend the extra money to get the higher cfm. No question. As well, if I had to do it again, a Bluestar will be the focal point of the kitchen. Love the versatility and performance. Let us know how it all works out.

• hellonasty
    3 years ago

Thanks for you info, Marc! I am glad you like your Bluestar. I am excited to finally have one. Considered one 11 years ago in our current kitchen reno. We thought we were going to go with a 42" hood over a 36" range but have decided to go with a 36 over a 36 at the higher cfm. I will keep you posted! It's going to be a while from now tho :)

• hellonasty
    3 years ago

Update: We are going with the originally planned 42 hood over 36 blue star gas range. Double blower. Kitchen guy already factored in the plan for the 42 and quite honestly since it’s open concept up there to the living room and dining room, we could probably use all the power we can to suck that cooking stuff out. Thanks again Marc. We are several months off from this kitchen becoming a reality but I will post pics once it is. I cannot wait for this Blue Star! 🤗

• K H
    last year

Hello, I know this in an older thread but can anybody who installed the Tempest 2 with the double internal blower comment on whether it is very loud?
    I have the sones rating but would love to hear real feedback from people who actually have it installed. Thanks so much!

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    last year

KH - I've used it all these years and really like the performance. On level 3 it is loud and actually sucks the three filters against the frame. There is a tradeoff between performance and volume level which I'm willing to live with. Level 1 is much quieter which is used most often.

• K H
    last year

This is very reassuring to hear, Marc Miller. Thank you. The Tempest 2 you have looks slightly different than the current model (your control panel is on the front which I prefer). Does your hood also go up to 6 speeds?

• Marc Miller
    Original Author
    last year

KH - only three speeds on mine.