Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warming Drawer? Yes or No

Posted by asovey (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 16:34

We are getting ready to FINALLY - after years of waiting - do a major remodel of our kitchen. One of the options I am looking at is to have a warming drawer. Our plan is for a large island that will have a 48" Wolf stove (all gas), prep sink, lots of storage,etc. I have never had a warming drawer in the past, but many people I know feel it is an essential. Wolf has one with a great insert that I am looking at. If you have a warming drawer - do you use it? What brand would you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warming Drawer? Yes or No

Can't advise about the warming drawer, but there are many many good reasons NOT to have your range in an island. Before making any final decisions, you might want to post your entire kitchen layout over on the Kitchen Forum. That is a very active forum, with many layout experts who are very generous with their expertise. Hey, someone over there may know about warming drawers also.

o

I think it's fine to have a rangetop or a cooktop on the island. Just make sure you have the proper ventilation for your need. Modern island hood can cook nice and does a good job.. but it's definitly more costly than non-island hood.

Back to your warming drawer question. I don't think warming drawer is essential. It's nice to have one but it's not necessary. there are two main function for a warming drawer: 1 is to keep food warm.. 2 is to warm plates. Both of these can be done in oven or steam oven, combi oven or toaster oven. However, warming drawer is probably a little easier and more efficient if that is something you do all the time.

Sometimes, warming drawers are advertised for proofing bread, and the news ones says they can even do slow cooking. I don't have any comments about that, but I think you can do those functions in oven too.

So, think of your need and see if you need one. It does comes in handy. We used ours all the time. I decided to get it because sometimes our nanny will cook something before we come home and it will be an hour or two before we start dinner. So we use the warming drawer that way. we also use it to keep our main entree warm while we have the first course and second course (salad/ soup/ appetiser) when we have guest over..

This post was edited by noopd on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 19:57

o

My KD put one in the plans - I looked at the price and function of the other ovens and skipped it for storage.
My Advantium has a keep warm feature that works great. I can choose dry or moist and 3 different settings. I even used it for slow cooking a stew - I forgot to bake the bread and needed the main oven - so just popped it up there.
So - bottom line - I don't have one but figured out plans to use my speed oven as a multi-purpose.
If I had all of the space and $$ - go for it.

o

Love, love, love my warming drawer. I've been using it since the first of the year and am super happy that I put it in.
I'd decided on a Miele and then had a lucky day when I chanced on one at Fergusons when they were getting rid of a display model. I talked them down significantly lower than their already discounted asking price!
I followed the advice I found on GW about placing it near the range and agree that's the most logical and useful place for one. It helps that mine is also near the barstool area of our island so that it's easy to reach if we're eating there and it's a direct straight shot with no turns into my dining room. Company helping to get things on the table for meals can get to it without stepping around into the "busy" side of my island.
The Miele has open sides so that it's easier to put things in and out. The extra shelf for stacking is very useful also. I saw wd's with the inserts but wasn't sure how useful it would be since I'd rather use my own dishes for serving and baking.
Wonderful for entertaining of course, but also just a normal breakfast since it allows me to leisurely do toast etc and keep it all warm until I get around to the eggs and last minute items. Can't say enough good about it.

o

If you have the second/smaller oven on the Wolf 48", do you really need a warming drawer? Will there often be times when you're using both ovens simultaneously and still need another space to keep stuff warm? Not just a one-off meal like Thanksgiving, I mean often, several times a week.

I'm planning to have a warming drawer but I have only one oven, my DH and I have different diets and I often make two entirely different dinners for us, so I have an almost daily use for a warm holding area while another dish/meal is being prepared. That's just me, though.

o

I have a kitchenaid warming drawer and love it!
I use it to keep food warm and to proof bread. If space is an issue then I would forgo but if you have the space, then it is a nice plus to have!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here