Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ruined induction cooktop, risking electrocution?

Posted by katrinavhh (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 15:56

Hello! First, thanks to this forum I made great choices in appliances when we built our home a few years ago. One of my all-time favorite decisions has been our induction cooktop, a dream! I could go on...

BUT! I just ruined it by forgetting a pot of boiling water for a long time. (We were having a fantastic party outside, and, you know...)

So, the water boiled out and the heat of the empty pot (a Le Creuset stockpot) cracked the top - in a major way. I cleaned up the mess and taped the cracked glass with heavy duty packing-type tape, and I have been using the other hobs without any problems as I strategize our replacement. The cracks don;t get near the other hobs, but they are large and there are several.

Today, I went to the manual to see about the installation measurements (to try to minimize the headache that the replacement will be) and I see a warning that says this:

"Cracks in the hob: Risk of Electrocution! Disconnect the unit from the mains if the cooking hob is broken or cracked."

What does this mean, exactly? Can anyone tell me whether what I am doing is unsafe? Does the hob refer to the glass/ceramic top or is the hob the interior parts (that I can't see).

I have not noticed anything wrong, or smelling funny, etc. as I use the other 4 hobs. When I discovered the pot, the heat was still on, but of course I have not turned that burner on since. I have been cooking with the other 4 for a week now.

I have a family of 5, so not using the cooktop would be a huge inconvenience, but I would obviously stop using it if the warning is legit. Also, I don't know exactly what I'll replace it with yet, so it could be some time before I get a new one installed.

(BTW, the unit I have is a discontinued Siemens 36", which I can't find, so I have to begrudgingly find a new model. Did I mention I loved it?)

If anyone has some electrical/appliance knowledge who can help me consider the risk of using the remaining hobs, I'd be so appreciative.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ruined induction cooktop, risking electrocution?

Shut off circuit breaker and stop using unit.
The link probably has the glass cost info.

Google: Siemens induction glass replacement

You're likely looking at air freight back to where it was bought for repair and then back to you. Labor. Part cost possibly around $400.

Maybe $1000. all together for an iffy repaired unit?

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product/EH975SK11E-Siemens-IQ700-Ind uction-Hob-Glass-16093.aspx

If you have access to someone who can get you a new unit in England or elsewhere that might be the best idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siemens Parts (UK)

This post was edited by laat2 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 22:56

o

Thanks laat2. I called Bosch today to ask about a replacement top, and they carry the Siemens top for my unit at a price of 640 plus labor. I have a Bosch tech coming out a week from today with the top. It's an expensive repair, but a new unit is $2,000+.

Does anyone know if there is a real risk of electrocution if I continue to use the appliance with the crack in the top?

o

I certainly won't tell you that your cooktop is OK to use (both because I have not seen it and because I don't want to be sued by your grieving family), but there is nothing mystic about this. Electrocution can only happen if you come in contact with an electrically conductive part that is not grounded (which includes water that is in contact with a metal part inside the cooktop). The fact that the glass is cracked makes it more likely that you, or spilled pan contents, could reach a dangerous part inside the cooktop, that is all. Manufacturers' instructions are generally very conservative.

I'd actually be more concerned that the cooktop could fall through the counter (they are generally held up by the glass resting on the counter). Cracks can sometimes propagate rapidly.

o

Caliente, thanks so much for your thoughtful (and funny!) response. I guess it's better not to risk either possibility, so I suppose I'll make friends again with my microwave and ovens. I hope the repair is possible and I don't wind up buying a new induction cooktop less than 3 years into my affair with induction. :)

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here