Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrinavhh

Ruined induction cooktop, risking electrocution?

katrinavhh
10 years ago

Hello! First, thanks to this forum I made great choices in appliances when we built our home a few years ago. One of my all-time favorite decisions has been our induction cooktop, a dream! I could go on...

BUT! I just ruined it by forgetting a pot of boiling water for a long time. (We were having a fantastic party outside, and, you know...)

So, the water boiled out and the heat of the empty pot (a Le Creuset stockpot) cracked the top - in a major way. I cleaned up the mess and taped the cracked glass with heavy duty packing-type tape, and I have been using the other hobs without any problems as I strategize our replacement. The cracks don;t get near the other hobs, but they are large and there are several.

Today, I went to the manual to see about the installation measurements (to try to minimize the headache that the replacement will be) and I see a warning that says this:

"Cracks in the hob: Risk of Electrocution! Disconnect the unit from the mains if the cooking hob is broken or cracked."

What does this mean, exactly? Can anyone tell me whether what I am doing is unsafe? Does the hob refer to the glass/ceramic top or is the hob the interior parts (that I can't see).

I have not noticed anything wrong, or smelling funny, etc. as I use the other 4 hobs. When I discovered the pot, the heat was still on, but of course I have not turned that burner on since. I have been cooking with the other 4 for a week now.

I have a family of 5, so not using the cooktop would be a huge inconvenience, but I would obviously stop using it if the warning is legit. Also, I don't know exactly what I'll replace it with yet, so it could be some time before I get a new one installed.

(BTW, the unit I have is a discontinued Siemens 36", which I can't find, so I have to begrudgingly find a new model. Did I mention I loved it?)

If anyone has some electrical/appliance knowledge who can help me consider the risk of using the remaining hobs, I'd be so appreciative.

Comments (6)

• katrinavhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks laat2. I called Bosch today to ask about a replacement top, and they carry the Siemens top for my unit at a price of 640 plus labor. I have a Bosch tech coming out a week from today with the top. It's an expensive repair, but a new unit is $2,000+.

Does anyone know if there is a real risk of electrocution if I continue to use the appliance with the crack in the top?

• caliente63
    10 years ago

I certainly won't tell you that your cooktop is OK to use (both because I have not seen it and because I don't want to be sued by your grieving family), but there is nothing mystic about this. Electrocution can only happen if you come in contact with an electrically conductive part that is not grounded (which includes water that is in contact with a metal part inside the cooktop). The fact that the glass is cracked makes it more likely that you, or spilled pan contents, could reach a dangerous part inside the cooktop, that is all. Manufacturers' instructions are generally very conservative.

I'd actually be more concerned that the cooktop could fall through the counter (they are generally held up by the glass resting on the counter). Cracks can sometimes propagate rapidly.

• katrinavhh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caliente, thanks so much for your thoughtful (and funny!) response. I guess it's better not to risk either possibility, so I suppose I'll make friends again with my microwave and ovens. I hope the repair is possible and I don't wind up buying a new induction cooktop less than 3 years into my affair with induction. :)

Thanks!

• kaseki
    4 years ago

The 'hob' is the counterpart of a gas cooktop 'burner,' except with induction a hob comprises more parts. In this case the most relevant parts are the glass cooktop where the hob coil is, the coil itself just underneath the glass, various bits of insulation, and (one hopes) whatever temperature sensor is embedded at the center of the coil. Other parts are the electronics controlling the coil, and the power supply modifying prime power and generating the coil waveform. The temperature sensor should have detected a blazing hot pan and shut down the hob.

Once the glass is cracked, and assuming that the coil and its circuitry are still capable of being powered, one has high voltage accessible without a sealed covering. As noted, almost any liquid being cooked could spill and run into the glass fractures, and most of these liquids will be sufficiently conductive to make a circuit connection to someone touching the liquid. At this point an electrocution hazard will be present. If another part of the person is grounded, even barely, a shock potentially causing electrocution is likely. Medium voltages at 40 kHz are definitely hazardous.

In addition, once liquid is inside the electronics, more can be damaged than just the glass top. I would put some paper towels over the cracks as protection against spashes, and/or seal the cracks with shipping tape, and de-power the unit using its circuit breaker or other disconnection means.

• kevinande
    4 years ago

While this information may come in handy to someone in the future. The OP posted this over 6 years ago. I'm thinking they have most likely addressed the issue by now.