Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

36" current fridge space and 36" new fridge: how to make it work?

SparklingWater
11 years ago

I have exhausted even the appliance dealers in my search for a workable, near counter depth refrigerator. It's all because of a fixed stair rail mounted on a plaster wall to the right of the 36" wide x 27" deep fridge "box" or space. The latters height is changing to 72" but by necessity not the rest. This limits me to a fridge 70" high or less.

There are no left swing doors other than Liebherr and SZ and FP, which for various reasons are not an option. Gone are the days of GE, KA, Maytag left swing doors that would solve my problem.

I find the Electrolux IQ-Touch Series EI23BC30KS to be a perfect compromise: large interior with good layout, bright lights, no water in door, just ice maker (alleged to be fixed from prior years models by E'lux), and the finish and handles I like.

But, it is 36" wide, and needs 3/8" on each side. That would require my GC to cut the fridge panels in the field to 2/8" from the 5/8" we currently have. Is this doable even? Obviously, I will call him, but looking for help here as I've spent hours looking for a near CD that will fit our kitchen in function and form.

Hopefully someone will know if tall refrigerator panels can be shaved in the field to 1/4", or if that right plaster wall, when old filler removed could be shaved some to allow a bit more room. There is a 36" refrigerator cabinet box overhead starting at 72".

Thanks for reading and hopefully commenting. It's the refrigerator that has been the most difficult for me.

Comments (2)

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to post the link showing specs of Electrolux. thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: fridge link:

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Answering my own question. Ha. Model came out in early 2012.

Found out it's the french door sitting at 29 1/2" (plus 1" rear vent or 30 1/2") that are 36" in width, the fridge case or box itself is 35 5/8". Needs 1/2" side panels minimum. Might just work as current fridge side panels are 5/8" on both sides.

Electrolux refrigerators have wheels for easier sliding.