Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonjohnsd_gw

Ceiling integrated hood/exhuasts?

BostonJohnSD
13 years ago

Hi everyone, i've been reading this forum for the past few weeks and as I design my kitchen remodel and have learned a ton of information.

Right now the biggest concern I have with my design is the hood/exhaust options for the gas cooktop. I'm placing my cooktop infront of a pass-through which will be added to the wall between the dining room and the kitchen. I've seriously been considering a telescopic downdraft, but have read mixed reviews. I'm trying to avoid an island hood because it will block a good portion of the pass-through which i'm adding to open up the space.

Would something like the Broan L500K be effective and has anyone used it? My concern with this is that it will sit flush with the ceiling and will likely not capture as much as a hood sitting 30" above the range.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• plllog
    13 years ago

I'd like to try to convince you not to put the cooktop, especially gas, in front of a passthrough. It's very tempting for people to actually pass things through there, and that can be very dangerous. Knocked over pots are the least of it, burns and sleeves on fire are the worst.

If you put the cooktop to the side of the opening you'll be able to use a wall hood, have a backsplash, and still be able to see into the next room.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Oh Plllog! You have no imagination! I can think of far worse than mere burned sleeves and arms! :)

John, have you run your plan by the kitchen forum yet? I recommend it if you haven't. They (except maybe for me) are very sensible!

• BostonJohnSD
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Have not run the design by the kitchen forum yet, but I should do so. I would have maybe 6 inches of wall above the counter before the opening so that provides some barrier for people's arms, etc.

I'm trying to preserve the location of the gas lines rather than moving them which is why i'd like to keep the cooktop where it is. I'll see if I can come up with a configuration that moves it slightly.

• colin3
    13 years ago

Moving or adding some gas line may shouldn't be that big of a deal.

• ellencrowe
    13 years ago

Definitely avoid downdrafts, they just dont work (especially for the front burners). An overhead venthood is much better. As far as your concern with "blocking the view", there are plenty of companies that make slim models that keep the air clean without looking bulky. Here are a few I found while I was doing my own search:

Miele Lumen DA6290D
    Kuppersbusch IKD122500EUL
    Thermador Professional HPIN
    Futuro Futuro Streamline ISSTREAMWHT
    Franke Opus FDF367IXS

• kaseki
    13 years ago

The higher the hood, the larger it has to be to collect the rising and expanding effluent. Also, the higher the hood the more the effluent is disturbed by drafts, including those from people moving about. Nonetheless, there are cases where this can work. I have seen ads for commercial kitchen ventilation where the entire ceiling is perforated metal and used as one giant collection surface.

kas

• BostonJohnSD
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kaseki - I agree. For example, commercial kitchens do not place range hoods 30" above the cooking surface, yet they place massive exhaust systems up near the ceiling.

My proposal is much the same. For a 30" cooktop with a distance of ~60" to the ceiling I would need roughly a 42" vent. This assumes steam/grease vapors expand 3" left or right for every 30" up.

Ellencrowe - Thanks for these suggestions. A nice slim island hood is not completely out of the question so I will look into the models you suggest.

• jsceva
    13 years ago

I may be missing something, but it looks like the Broan L500k doesn't actually have any filters or baffles? It just exhausts the air out without filtering it at all? If so, if there is any length of ducting at all I would guess it would end up coated in grease, which would really not be good.

On the other hand, if it does have some kind of filter then it must be a pain to change, being up in the ceiling and all..

I jsut don't see how this works in the real world?

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Commercial kitchens also get a lot of deadly grease fires.

And yes, what you have found is merely a fan. No filter, baffle, etc. This is just the part that moves air.

You can completely forget calculating the geometry of expanding effluent if you're cooking in front of a pass through. Room breezes will take your grease into the dining room, living room, family room, manscaping room or what have you well before they reach the ceiling.

• BostonJohnSD
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very valid points, there are no filters and baffles which would make this solution a grease nightmare after a year or two of use.

I guess i'm stuck with a conventional island hood or a telescoping downdraft...

• jsceva
    13 years ago

For what it's worth...Best By Broan does have an in-ceiling option that includes filters. It requires a dropped ceiling of at least 13.75 inches, however, and only works with inline or external/remote blowers. I still don't see it working great in real world situations, since there is no contained capture area. Maybe if your kitchen was self-contained enough it could act as one big capture area it could work...

Here is a link that might be useful: Best By Broan Cirrus

• kaseki
    13 years ago

A useful number for undisturbed air is +/- 22.5 degrees from the pan edges, although the angle varies with several factors.

The perforated ceiling systems address grease above the perforations with intense UV that breaks up the grease compounds into simpler relatively inert compounds.

One would want to build the kitchen from scratch or start with very high ceilings to consider such a system. One also has to deal with the ozone generated. I don't recall how that is addressed commercially.

kas

• kaseki
    13 years ago

If the conditioned make up air you will need were dumped into the room where the pass-through leads, there would be less odor passing into that room.

Note that a 4 ft x 6 or more ft hood aperture mounted at 7 feet approximating a normal baffled commercial unit will force three inconvenient actions:

o Provision of enough vent cfm to keep the entrance velocity high enough at the hood aperture; i.e., to meet the requirements you can find on Greenheck's site for commercial cooking. You might be looking at 2000 cfm depending on cooktop size and what you cook.

o An equal amount of conditioned MUA and an attendant MUA control system

o A cooktop mounted far enough from the wall and pass-through to allow the expanding effluent to be captured and not passed through (at least in still air)

I'm not recommending this.

kas

• sherlobp
    12 years ago

We are also considering placing our cooktop infront of a pass-through which will be added to the wall between the dining room and the kitchen. I have been following the responses to your posting hoping to gain some insight. I am also concerned with using an island hood which will block a good portion of the pass-through space. What did you decide to do? What did you find regarding your options?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio