Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wonderwoman313

Does everyone hate front load washers/dryers or is it just me?

WonderWoman313
11 years ago

I seriously HATE my front load washer and dryer!

It's the first (& hopefully LAST pair I'll have).

They're not the most expensive models, but they weren't cheap either (they are Frigidaire Affinity front loaders) and they stink....literally!

My clothes smell musty and no matter how much I try to keep the rubber ring in the washer dry (it's just such a pain) and I swear the dryer puts in more wrinkles then it takes out somehow!

I've tried those bleach cleaning tabs in the washer, but they don't seem to do much good either.

Is it just me or just the brand/model I purchased or are others having these same annoying issues?

Comments (255)

• kitchengirl
    3 years ago

Thanks, dadoes: it was/is a Duet.

Quality-built and I liked the integral pedestal to make its load height more comfortable, but fairly small capacity. I had a favorite wool sock that got lost inside the gasket for a year and a half (I never thought to look there!). Came out quite discolored from the moldy gunk in there, but survived.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

My neighbor bought and renovated a foreclosure into a rental property, configured it for a stacked set, which he wanted to provide. He bought a used 2006 Duet pair in 2012 via Craigslist. The washer had bad bearings, dryer OK other than needing clean-up. I refurbed them. Eight years, currently on the 3rd or 4th occupants. No further repairs on the washer. Dryer had a couple minor parts go out 2 years ago, then the main board went bad a couple weeks ago (it's NLA but I found several choices of used and repaired on eBay).

Some of these early Duet models have a hidden tub clean cycle described in the user manual. Not directly on the selection dial, accessed via a special button sequence. Fills to a higher level and runs the drum faster than normal wash speed to slosh the water around the tub boot.

• kitchengirl
    3 years ago

The only issue I had was with the matching dryer: the automated cycle occasionally went on the blink, so that you would have to use the manual function to set time (and perhaps it didn't sense moisture on the manual setting, not sure). But it would regain function and go back to working fine.

I looked up how to clean the washer and ran it a couple of times (after finding the long-lost sock), but I don't remember if I used a special sequence.

• kitchengirl
    3 years ago

p.s. Nice to see you on here, dadoes. I have followed a few subjects since 2004.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"Humming bird feeder glass container and wine decanter are two things I've found it seem will only dry standing open end up.....I can't speak to the science, but I see it all the time."

My late father would have had the answer right away, but I decided to run an experiment: 2 glasses of the same exact shape, size, and material, each with exactly 3mL of the same temperature water in them. On standing upright, one on its side (at a slight 7-8 degree angle to prevent it from running out). My curiosity is piqued.

• Cesare Beccaria
    3 years ago

Toronto, re containers drying. A significant factor, I think is the size of the opening compared to the container. My wine decanter, hummingbird container, as well as washing machines--especially front loaders, have smaller openings than the overall diameter of the containers. Something like a drinking glass which is a plain cylinder with an opening as wide as the glass, will be a different environment from the washing machine. Also worthy of note is that our top loader no-agitator LG washer has a much larger opening than our last GE frontloader, and that is probably another factor.

BTW that drawer-pedestal that raised our GE washer to a more convenient height, also added a lever effect to the imbalance issues with that washer. Over a few months the washer moved to the side until it hit the dryer, after which it continued moving itself and the dryer until they both reached the wall.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

I had to run my test a second time because I accidentally sprayed cleanser near them, but when I ran it again, the upright glass did have faster evaporation. I'm surprised, and now I need to search out the reasons.

• ArPJ21
    2 years ago

This is hilarious how long this post has been going on for. My two cents.... I DESPISE my front load Samsung washer. I don't think I've ever hated an appliance the way I hate this machine. We bought it off a friend who had only had it for a few months, they had no issues with it, they were just moving. I can't tell you have much money I've spent on Vinegar to still have my clothes smelling musty or mildewed. It's disgusting. Then every couple weeks I hate to clean the drain. The "drain" is located in a closed compartment on the front of the washer. There is no way to not get water everywhere, I've tried. It's about a gallon of water that comes out. It's disgusting and so unsanitary! Over the front load washer and I will NEVER go back. My husband mentioned selling it, and I'd hate to catch that awful Karma coming my way for selling such a POS washer. It's not a sanitation issue, its the whole washer. Its super high maintenance. Also, every so often (once a month) you have to put it on a "self-clean" cycle with bleach that lasts for over four hours! You'll know its time for the self clean cycle because all your clothes start smelling again. It's just the worst.

• James S
    2 years ago

Yep. Which is why we replaced ours! Say no to front loaders and get the top loader with the pre-soak and extra rinse features :D

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@Arriel Phillips, vinegar is unlikely to do much to ward-off accumulation of mold, mildew, and smutz in your washer. You don't mention anything about your day-to-day laundry habits but washing in primarily cold water, and even warm on the designated Normal cycle is a large cause of problems. Warm water nowadays is essentially cold, especially on the Normal cycle which is the basis for EnergyStar ratings. Using chlorine bleach on a weekly whites load (kitchen linens, bath linens, socks, etc.) also does a lot of good ... not just monthly on that self-clean cycle.

Also, contrary to popular belief, toploaders can and do catch mold and smutz. I've posted photos of machines I've disassembled and cleaned-up.

• kitchengirl
    2 years ago

dadoes: I have a 2 year-old HE top-loader LG, largest size. I have only used bleach in it a couple of times, but leave the top open for 12-24 hours after each load. I don't notice any odor. Do you think I should be running bleach through weekly to avoid gunk like in your photos, above?

The LG customer service person did say that running extra water would reduce hot to cool/lukewarm, so if one really wants hot water, it has to be @ low water volume. That makes a lot of sense, but had previously escaped me... I sometimes wish I had purchased an old-fashioned (not HE) washer and dryer, but I do want to be a good citizen for the environment.

• ArPJ21
    2 years ago

@ dadoes Good to know. My family has just mentioned using vinegar to prevent and get rid of mildew smells, and to use it since it helps with cleaning. I typically do a white load every 10 days maybe -we just don't have that many white clothes to wash, but I love bleach. If the washer started to smell a little funky and I knew I just did a clean cycle, I may wash a a couple white towels with bleach just to get that smell out. I wonder if I should get that thing cleaned though, I didnt know that was an option. Im so past that point though. I think that the ultimate, last-straw component for me is that you have to clean that filter at the bottom of the washer. Water not only comes out the front nozzle, but it will pour out the side of the washer too. I can't imagine what the floors will look like once I move this thing. @dadoes It's just not for me. I need a less high maintenance washer. I just want my clothes clean, that's it. Thank you for your response and input though!

• dadoes
    2 years ago

There shouldn't be a need to clean the pump filter on a recurring basis unless you are in special situations such as routinely washing throw rugs or deteriorated/stringy towels and such that generate a lot of lint, pet bedding with a lot of hair, or are careless about checking pockets for stray objects. You can run a Normal (hot water such as it is) or Heavy or other cycle with bleach and no clothes more often as an alternative to the longer tub clean cycle ... although the tub clean cycle presumably involves the machine's onboard water heater to reach higher water temperatures and higher fill levels and faster tumbles to slosh the water around, which is why it's a long cycle.

My sister has a circa 2006 Samsung frontloader that heats to 130°F for the tub clean (PureClean) cycle. The Sanitize cycle on it heats to a higher temp (150°F-something) but doesn't fill with as much water as PureClean or tumble faster to slosh it around. The Normal cycle on it gets around 85°F (without involving the heater) for Warm and approx 95°F for Hot.

The trick is that by the time mold/mildew odor develops from lack of diligent maintenance, it may be too late to cure without a disassemble cleaning of the machine. That's why it's important to have good habits and run that tub clean cycle on a recurring basis immediately upon putting the machine into use, before a problem become evident.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

These photos are a couple of toploaders. It's highly unlikely running a bleach wash would clean this kind of accumulated residue, LOL.

• ArPJ21
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We bought the washer in good condition, but it was second hand so I didnt have the manual or instructions. Anyways, I looked at some stuff online and asked "how often should I clean the pump filter on a washer (for a samsung)." It literally says "once per month or after 30-40 loads, whichever comes first." Im an RN so I routinely wash everything, lol. Thanks again.

• bostonmamatofive
    2 years ago

Hate them! Sold out front loaders ten years ago now 5 kids later still using em daily. The agitator gets stuff cleaner! My towels always smelled moldy and I cleaned the washer and gasket all the time and left the door open.

• gigelus2k13
    2 years ago

TL vs. FL has been a hotly debated topic since washing machines have been invented. Just like red vs. blue, or vi vs. emacs (that one is odd, vi won long time ago already 😂).

I continue to love my Maytag FL. Have had it for 14 years and it’s still performing like a champ. Cannot understand what LG and Samsung are doing wrong to lead to musty and moldy clothes

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

I had an electrolux front loader. Hated that thing. My clothes built up such a stink. It was not even 5 years old, still running fine and clean as a whistle and kicked that thing to the curb. The smell of the clothing was not musty or moldy. The clthing only smelled when they got wet. It smelled like something dead. I got an LG front loader and the stinky clothes issue is resolved. My front loader allows you to add 3 extra rinses if need be.

Top loaders pose a problem for me due to me being so short. I would have to almost climb into the top loader to reach any items that may be at the bottom. I like having my front loaders on pedestal because it puts it at the perfect height for me and I like having the drawer storage since my laundry room is very small.

• boba1
    2 years ago

As I've said before, I don't believe in washing in cold or cool water. I always wash in Warm, Hot, and Sanitize temps. I use both powder and liquids and fabric softener. I do not have an odor or mold problems with my 9.5 year old Whirlpool Duet. I always leave the door open when not in use. I also do NOT use my Normal cycle because the temps are too dumbed down and so little water is used. Cycles I use are Bulky, Whites, Heavy Duty, and Sheets/Linens. Heater is always engaged on those cycles. And use steam for stains option to deal with horrible stains.

• goshdarnit
    2 years ago

9 years on from the OP's question, and I still hate front loaders like poison. The clothes twist and cause more damage than an agitator. They really haven't the capacity to use enough water to properly rinse anything

There is always muck (surfactants) left in the washing. DON"T get me started on struggling to wash large quilts and blankets in them, and only being able to do one of those items at a time.

I have a mechanical speed queen top loader that never misses a beat and no maintenance to speak of - I think it's life expectancy is more than mine. I can do anything with that machine. I am 5'2", but would rather struggle with the height issue, than have the struggle of things not being clean, extra maintenance to avoid smells, etc etc. I can stop the FL machine, and add anything easily, at any time., I can soak stuff overnight, without being punished by smells etc. I had to use an FL at a friend's when looking after his recently blind, sick, elderly father - so you can imagine the workload. The frontloader didn't do the job, so I bought a second hand top loader. Sensory things are extremely noticeable to the blind, and he commented on how the clothes and sheets felt and smelt better. They still have the front loader, mouldering in an outhouse, and he bought a new top loader eventually.

I, on the other hand, always wash in cold water. IF something needs to be sanitized I use nappy soaker., and make sure it is steam ironed. Hot water fades clothes so fast, especially as I can't use polyester fabrics. Hot also sets a stain if it was missed, or pre-treatment is otherwise insufficient. IF I use a detergent that needs to dissolve, I will do that separately instead of unecessarily heating water. Hot water also encourages bacteria and micro-life to become resistant to high temps over time, especially that the generation rate is so high for those life forms. My two cents on that subject.

• HU-453689556
    2 years ago

I will NEVER buy another Front Loader. I bought the Whirlpool Duet because a Serious car wreck i was in, Its much better to pull an push forward than upward for my neck. It's just me an my husband I wash for. You shower, do your hair, throw on clothes head to work an then go What??? Thats my clothes... I smell GROSS! I used every clean your washer pod on the market. DON'T BUY FRONT LOADER Machines!

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Don't wash in cold water.

• Cesare Beccaria
    2 years ago

LG no-agitator top loader, I leave lid open when not in use, and it's always dry inside. Re cold water, I use Lysol or Clorox laundry sanitizer in the fabric softener cup. Started using it even before the pandemic. It was hard to find for a while, but available again.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Cold water allows laundry soils, oils, skin sebum to congeal and adhere to internal machine parts that aren't accessible to clean unless it's disassembled. Like the scum-line that adheres to a kitchen sink when dirty dishwater is left to go cold overnight.

• MIKE KELLY
    2 years ago

The seals around the door turn into a circular Howard Johnson of mould.

• MIKE KELLY
    2 years ago

The door seal turns into a circular Howard Johnson of bacteria and mould. No thanks. If water was scarce I'd think about it.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

I've never had mold on my door seals.

• Chris Powchuk
    2 years ago

I absolutely hate my front-load washer. The clothes smell musty and old, the rubber ring at the front needs to be cleaned with every use, and cold water is a big no-no as the undissolved soap and grime stick to the inside of the drum. I use hot water every time. The biggest "pet peeve" I have is NO WATER LEVEL selection or load-size button. The machine weighs the clothes and decides how much water to put in the drum. That means that sometimes, I have to run the washer TWICE because the load I put in, came out dry, as in *not clean.* I will never gain buy a front-load washer.

• boba1
    2 years ago

Chris, if you are the Normal cycle, that's not the cycle that will use the most water, it uses the least water. Select another cycle such as Whites or perm press/casual, bulky/bedding. What's your washer brand and model?

• Chris Powchuk
    2 years ago

Its a GE washer/dryer set and the selections are as follows:whites, colours, stain wash, delicate, speed wash, drain/spin. I also have soil-spin-temp buttons. There is NO button for "load size" or water level. If front load washers implemented a *load-size button* or water level button, I would be much happier.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"There is NO button for "load size" or water level. If front load washers implemented a *load-size button* or water level button, I would be much happier."

But they would not work as well. It's one of those situations where (as much as we hate to admit it) computers do a better and faster job.

• Chris Powchuk
    2 years ago

I understand the "technology" behind front-load washers. The water level is calculated by the machine to save water and be more efficient. But I will never buy another front-load washer because, its not just the 'water-level-button' that I miss, its also the front rubber ring which needs to be cleaned daily, the fact that once the washer starts, I cannot just open the lid and throw in a missed towel, and if I have to wash my down-filled comforter "twice" because the machine can't understand that the comforter is big, but weighs very little, then (in my opinion) that's not what I would call energy efficient.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"the fact that once the washer starts, I cannot just open the lid and throw in a missed towel,"

Sure you can - at least on the new machines. Mine as an "add item" button to toss in the forgotten piece of clothing or whatever. I used it twice on the weekend ;)

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Much of the cleaning action in a frontloader is via the clothes falling and "slapping" against the surface of the drum. Too much water makes the clothes float and/or roll instead of lift-and-fall, which reduces the cleaning action. Cycles for delicates ... Delicate, Handwash, Woolens, Silks, whatever a given machine may have ... typically fill higher to cushion the clothes. I once helped a friend clean-up one of his rental properties between tenants, who left behind sheer curtain panels in the living, dining, and kitchen area. I washed them in the frontloader that he provides there on the Delicate cycle. The higher fill level made the items float instead of tumble-and-drop. Undissolved powder detergent was left in the panels. I ran them again on the Normal cycle (lower fill level), which cleared-up that problem.

The Start button typically also functions as a Pause. Press Start/Pause once to pause a running cycle (press and hold it a few seconds to cancel a running cycle). Open the door when it unlocks, add an item, then Start to continue. Although, the machine may pause but not unlock the door if 1) the water level is high enough to spill or 2) the water is hot enough to be a burn risk if running a high-heat cycle such as Sanitize or Allergen on a machine that has an onboard water heater.

• Cesare Beccaria
    2 years ago

Now that I have a no-agitator top loader, I'll never suffer the aggravation of a front loader again. It's labeled "high efficiency" and has a couple key (for me) features: A "water plus" option that, of course, uses more water. And a Soak cycle. Having no agitator in the center makes it better for large bulky items (same as a front loader) and it's gentler on clothes. Best of both worlds.

• Chris Powchuk
    2 years ago

So, one comment suggested that newer washers have the features I am complaining about . . . so I should run out and buy a new washer? Really? I should spend $1,000 on a new washer/dryer set? NO, that's never going to happen and to suggest such a thing is both ignorant and unreasonable. I'll never buy another front-load washer.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@Chris Powchuk, I'm curious what specific model is your frontloader that doesn't have a function to pause a running cycle.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"So, one comment suggested that newer washers have the features I am complaining about . . . so I should run out and buy a new washer?"

No, but I am suggesting that your reasons aren't about not liking front load washers, but not liking YOUR front load washer - and should not be a reason to "never buy another " one when you know that the things you dislike might not be a factor in "another" one. By your reasoning, because I dislike how my Tesla today doesn't have a 360 degree camera, I should decide that I'll never buy another Tesla, even if a Tesla will have that feature when I need a new car. You are writing off the future because you don't like the present.

• HU-820163682
    last year

Hint… set water level higher or add additional water right in the drum it is the only way I got my clothes to get clean and not smell

I would never buy another front loader😳

• Chris Powchuk
    last year

Agreed, my next washer will be a top-loader. At least then I can set my water level and my clothes get clean.

• dadoes
    last year

@Chris Powchuk

Majority of toploaders nowadays don't have a water level control for a choice of multiple fill levels. Auto-sensing is the default, with an option for Deep Fill or Deep Wash which fills to maximum regardless of the actual load size.

Speed Queen TC5, a brand/model often touted for people who want an old-style agitator toploader, for example fills approximately half-way for the default level on all cycles, or 3 to 4.5 gals more with the Deep Wash option selected. It has no other choices.

• Chris Powchuk
    last year

@Toronto Veterinarian

All new front load washers are built the same. My machine may vary slightly from another brand, but they are all basically the same build. Water level is done by an "auto-sense" for size & weight of load and the "rubber dam" is necessary to keep water in the machine and off the floor. And leaving the door of the washer open 24/7 is easy for me because I have the space, but not everyone has that luxury. The 2 main reasons I would not buy another front-load washer are (A) no water level selector and (B) the rubber dam at the front of the machine, which needs to be constantly cleaned otherwise mould will develop.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

"And leaving the door of the washer open 24/7 is easy for me because I have the space, but not everyone has that luxury."

I've spent the last 14 years with a laundry closet, rather than a laundry room. I still was able to leave the FL washer door open 24/7. It takes about 2" of room.....You don't need the luxury of space in order to do that, all you need is a door to keep the kitten or puppy from climbing in while you're not looking. In 20 years of using FL washers, they never needed to be cleaned to keep away mould, they just needed to be ventilated and dry.

• vinmarks
    last year

@Chris Powchuk I don't agree with that at all. I had an Electrolux front load. Crappy machine. Bio-stink built up on clothing. You would think after running a 2 hour cycle with warm water, on heavy cycle with extra rinses would result in clean clothing. Nope. The machine was also clean as a whistle inside and out. I kicked that machine to the curb and got an LG. Much better machine. Clean clothes and clean smelling clothes. So I do not believe they are all built the same or operate the same. I used to dry the boot and leave the door open on my Electrolux. Never any mold. I have gotten lazy with my LG and do not dry the boot but do leave the door open and again no mold. I run affresh on the tub clean cycle every now and then and that's about it.

And top loads are not exempt from mold. I had a Fisher and Paykel top load at my previous house. That machine built up mold all around the outside of the tub where you couldn't see it but boy could you smell it. We had to take the whole tub out and drag it into our shower to clean it.

• dadoes
    last year
    last modified: last year

The rubber dam is properly called a bellows. It attaches the machine's outer tub to the front panel, provides a seal lip for the door, and is flexible to allow the tub to oscillate during tumbling and spin. Asko had a design (perhaps still does) that doesn't involve the flexible bellows.

As Vinmarks says, toploaders absolutely are not immune to smutz accumulation. I posted a few pics above months ago (and there are others in other threads) of moldy/filthy toploaders that I've cleaned.

• kapiticoast
    last year

I really like my Miele front loader, (it is the basic model). I like it so much that I had one in our previous home, and our holiday home. When we moved to a new house I got another one. I wash primarily on cold but occasionally run a super hot cycle ( extra white cycle and choosing 90 degree C. 194 F) when washing cleaning rags which gives a good clean out of the washing machine. I do not use fabric softener and do use Persil or Woolite detergents . I do not use detergent pods. It has never been necessary to use a special cleaner. I am rather particular about my laundry and feel that the front loader is easier on clothes. I put many things in the washer that are recommended to be dry cleaned. My daughter has one of the more advanced Miele front loaders and finds it excellent for doing laundry for her young family. (As an aside, I use only powdered dishwasher detergent and liquid rinse aid in my dishwasher as we found that pods and tablets caused a build up of residue. I have never had to use a special dishwasher cleaner)

• akrogirl32
    last year

I have mainly had front loaders. I even brought my Philips front loader over from England when I moved here, and that was the one item my ex and I both wanted after our divorce - I lost out on that :-( I had to live with a used top loader for a while after that, but I was so happy to finally get my Asko set. I have had my Miele LG set for over ten years now, and nothing could convince me to go back to a top loader again. My Miele handles all my horse blankets and saddle pads, as well as my more delicate items.

• Mel Clark
    last year

Yep, I'm with you. I literally googled 'front loader washer hate', just to see what I got. I so regret moving to a front loader AEG 8000 OKOmix Lavamat, it's so much more work than my old top loader, doesn't do as good of a job and takes way longer. I do an extra rinse with every load because I can't get the loads fresh enough, thus forfeiting the water savings. I leave the door open every time, wipe it down regularly and it has a stupid drain that I have to empty regularly - it has a small designed, hole in the lid and now the lid thing, has filled with gunk that I can't remove. I even rang the manufacturer to see if there was a trick for how to clean the stupid lid but they had no idea. So frustrated.

• Peter Lainey
    last year
    last modified: last year

We replaced our Maytag top loader with a Bosch front loader. At the time the Bosch had a great rating. Consumer Reports -at the time- rated washing machines and scored the front loaders very high on water use, gentleness etc. The ONLY thing not rated was how clean they got your clothes!!! I see why. Found an article called (honestly) Why My Front Loading Washing machine can Suck It! The rubber ring seal in the front loader got moldy and our old top-loading Maytag did a way better of job of actually get clothes clean. The fact that manufacturers introduced TOP LOADING high efficiency washing machines tells you something. The ONLY advantage of the front-loader is that it uses less water. But in the grand scheme of things the most important job of the washing machine is getting your clothes clean. Did some research and purchased a Speed Queen top-loading washing machine. It has been fantastic!

• HU-455265895
    2 months ago

I had a Maytag front loader and the clothes smelled too you can wash clothes in smaller amounts of water, but you need a full tub for the rinse to remove all the soap! I got rid of mine you would think that the genus people would know this!