Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kc270

How Do You Know When a Gas Range is Too Old?

kc270
13 years ago

Does anyone have any opinions on the lifespan for a gas range? Ours is a Caloric 30" free-standing gas range that is 28 years old. The range is in good shape and meets our needs.

I am wondering if at some point the number of years of service take their toll, and for safety's sake the range should be replaced even though it is still working.

Is there a rule of thumb for when an appliance should be replaced?

Comments (23)

• weissman
    13 years ago

It should be replaced when it stops working or when you want a new one for other reasons. If you don't have any gas leaks, and you would smell it if you did, then there's probably no reason to replace it. My old range was was 21 years old when I replaced it and it was still going strong - it wasn't right for my new remodeled kitchen.

• chesters_house_gw
    13 years ago

Unlike refrigerators and dishwashers, there's no efficiency issue either. So as long as it works...why invite trouble?

• chris11895
    13 years ago

If you're happy with your range after 28 years, I'd have someone come and do some sort of aesthetic cleanup to it and hope you can enjoy it for 28 more!!!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Just to add a bit of dramatic reinforcement to the above comments, my range was over 90 years old when I finally realized it was time to replace it. The original plan had been for it to be the focal point of my kitchen renovation. But a brilliant plumber who came in to reroute the range's gas line (in order to accommodate new cabinetry) had different ideas. He somehow managed to severely damage the manifold which then resulted in multiple gas leaks. At that point, I had to get real about the condition of this lovely antique range (which also had pretty serious rust issues) I had been trying to ignore. Although all 6 burners and both ovens were still functional at this point, the range was really in need of a comprehensive restoration, not just a few minor repairs. So, after 90+ years of service, I decided to retire it. The cost of restoration would have been several thousand dollars and would have taken up to a year to complete. Without a restoration, I'd be taking the risk of building a whole new kitchen around an antique range, the lifespan of which I couldn't be sure of.

Doesn't sound to me like your 28 year old Caloric is in that category. Thank goodness!

• chris11895
    13 years ago

kc27: in all seriousness, maybe something inside made you wonder if it's time to replace it? You know those little gut instincts we have? :-) Anyhow, if I were you I'd start looking at ranges and see what you like. Then if something does go wrong you'll already know what you want to replace it with and won't be backed into a corner or have sticker shock. Hope that helps!

• kc270
    Original Author
    13 years ago

chris11895 - I started thinking about the range and whether it was manufactured with a limited number of "safe" years of operation because it recently needed a $30 part. None of the on-line or local appliance parts resources could reference the needed part because the stove's model number was not in their databases. The broken part had to be brought in to be matched.

That got me wondering if there was a reason for the range to drop out of the parts databases, such as after a certain point they should be replaced, not repaired.

Anyway, for the reason you mentioned, I fixed the range myself so that I could take my time figuring out what I want to get next, rather than being "backed into a corner" as you put it when shopping for a new stove.

marthavila's 90 year old stove confirms what some of the others have said, that as long as it is working properly there are no worries.

Plus, in general, I kind of cringe anymore at getting rid of anything that is functional and is still useful to me.

• weissman
    13 years ago

The reason the part wasn't in a parts database is that typically manufacturers don't manufacture parts for ranges or other appliances that old - most people don't keep appliances that long so it wouldn't be cost effective to keep manufacturing them. Also, that long ago, it's likely that parts databases weren't computerized.

• texaskitchentoo
    13 years ago

It is time to replace an appliance when you visit a site like this and get 'kitchen upgrade-itis' and you think a new appliance is going to be worth it. Then you discover a new feature that has recently been included free of charge in most new appliances, 'pre-planned product expiration.' This feature allows your new very expensive appliance to be replaced in a few years due to numerous failed repairs, fried computer boards, or outright ignored by the manufacturer. This ensures you always have a nice shiny new appliance in your kitchen. So if you want this new feature, jump right in!

• earthpal
    13 years ago

You have definitely had good longevity from your Caloric range.

Personally I couldn't wait to replace our nearly 20 year old model. The oven temp swung 50 degrees while trying to bake cookies after we moved in and I never really baked cookies after that. The top was a _ _ _ _ _ to keep clean and those are my housecleaner's words. Plus, while turning on the burners, sometimes it would delay and then poof on me. I wasn't thrilled about gas when we bought this house and that always made me uncomfortable.

Really prefer our new induction cooktop despite the hassles of finding pots and pans for it... ;;)

• kc270
    Original Author
    13 years ago

texaskitchentoo - your reply sounds like the story of our Bryant high efficiency furnace. We probably saved on gas, but repairs and expensive parts ate up quite a bit of the energy savings.

One of the repair techs commented that our furnace is part of the first generation of high efficiency furnaces. He said like any new technology, the manufacturers learned from their mistakes, and now produce a far more reliable product.

I agree, new features on appliances or whatever are nice to have, but they can often be a source of problems, too.

• aprince
    13 years ago

If it runs off of whale blubber, it's too old

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

if it needs an afternoon nap before dinner.
    if it yells, 'Hey! You kids get off of my lawn!!!'
    if it still has that 'I Like Ike!' button pinned to itself.
    if it doesn't know what an iPhone is and doesn't care.
    if it drives around with the left-turn signal on all the time.
    if it keeps watching reruns of 'The Golden Girls'.

• kc270
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What about the hardware and wiring of an appliance? Do they become a safety hazard after a certain point? For example, I could see insulation on wiring inside an oven degrading from being exposed to heat.

That was the gist of my original question. If you like an appliance and are happy using it, then great, keep using it. But is there a point where other factors override whether you are satisfied with what you have, and the appliance should be retired anyway.

It doesn't seem like that needs to be a concern, unless the appliance has been abused.

• organic_farm
    13 years ago

My semi-commercial Garland, which was purchased new for my mother, is 55 years old. I have the original documentation and warranty card. Although it has little insulation, the burners, the broiler/griddle and the oven work well. It needs occasional tune-ups by the owner, as the oven burner assembly seems to wander away from the thermocouple periodically, but that is all the trouble it has ever given. It is black enamel with the original Star grates, 24" depth and 36" wide. I like the way it cooks, but would pay to rebuild it just for additional insulation if there were such a service available for a nearly reasonable price in southern Ontario Canada. I see no reason to replace it as it seems to be proven technology :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Be sure you know what you're getting into when you decide to replace it just for the sake of replacing it. There are a lot of frustrations to be had with many new appliances. They're no long designed just to do the best job possible, but to conserve energy, hit a certain price point, and other such issues, that reduce the actual usefulness of the appliances. That's not to say that there aren't some superior ranges out there. Just that there are "issues".

• mkiv808
    13 years ago

I know someone with a 45+ year old Garland that still works better than most new stoves. If it's not leaking gas, and it works... there's no reason to replace it.

• segesta
    13 years ago

>>If it's not leaking gas, and it works... there's no reason to replace it.

But I _wannnaaaaaaa_.
    (in the style of Cartman from "South Park")

• Alice Johannen
    13 years ago

We must have that same Caloric range. I don't know how old ours is, only that the previous owners built this house in 1969 and it's possibly the original range. I totally (whining) want to replace it because I crave something new, but honestly, the thing works like a champ and I really can't justify the 2K+ it would cost to get the new one I have my eye on. So I guess we'll put our money into new counters and backsplash. There are worse problems to have, I guess!

• alexrander
    13 years ago

Some of the older gas ranges are quite prized and loved. The Wedgewoods, Chambers and O'keefe & Merritt come to mind. Many people use them forever, with an occasional repair like a thermocouple. Sometimes the tops start to rust, sometimes the oven burner that sits beneath the floor needs to be cleaned out. I've done it many times. People sometimes buy them and get them re-enameled and insulated and even put electronic ignitors on the burners (replacing the pilot flame) that's when it starts to get expensive. Most of my friends who have them do not refurbish.

• kc270
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just following up to my original post. We kept the range for 4 + more years since my original post, but will be getting a replacement this week. The Caloric is still fully functional - including the electric mechanical clock - it just doesn't look too great anymore - even with my attempts at repainting some of the trim. As far as I can tell the only physical issue is that the bottom of the oven cavity has rust - probably got its start when the range was stored in an unheated garage,

The planned obsolescence that many people have experienced with the new ranges has kept us from going too crazy in buying a replacement. We are getting a Kenmore 74332 gas range. I'm not too thrilled with idea that the new range's lifespan may only be 1/3 of the old range, but the replacement has a convection fan, so that will be something new to try.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I had a gas range wear-out. It did so very quietly, it just ceased to boil water. I have no explanation as to why or how it happened. Looking at all of the lines everything was perfectly clear and there did not appear to be any escaping gas. The new stove was hooked to the same gas line and works perfectly...

• zwizzle
    9 years ago

I love my old Roper Bake Master (circa 1950) with 6 burners, 2 ovens, 2 broilers, but she is a big-boned old lady with lots of miles on her. She still performs very well for me and has serviced me and my guests for over 35 years.

However, in my neighborhood, she wouldn't show to advantage if and when we sell the house, and no amount of cosmetic surgery or full fashion wardrobe can her make her look young and fit again! Oh, the indignities of aging.

I need new countertops so it seems that the the proud old lady and I have reached that time when I must "put her out". I felt this way when my first piano, an old converted player piano from the 1920s, was sold to make room for a new instrument.

This post was edited by zwizzle on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 17:10