Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Can u explain the difference b/t counter-depth & buit-in fridge?

Madeline616
12 years ago

So, this fridge thing is something I've never really understood. What's the difference between built-in and full-depth?

Is it just that a full-depth either stands alone or sits into one of those cubbies the cabinetmaker builds? How is that different from the built-in, which I assume also fits within some sort of cabinetry?

Is there a height difference? I know a lot of high-end fridges have that vent-looking thing at the top...does that make them extra tall?

Comments (5)

• philwojo
    12 years ago

Counter-depth mean that the fridge "Box" for lack of a better term will be the same depth as standard counters/cabinets, but that the doors and door handles will stick forward of that depth.

A built in fridge will sit totally flush with the front of the counters/cabinets, the doors will not stick out, but the handles will like on any door on a cabinet.

There are also freestanding units which are even deeper than counter-depth, the fridge "Box" in this case is even in front of the counters/cabinets, then the doors again are further out.

As for height I can't say for certain, but I think most built-ins are either 80" or 84" (inches) tall. Well I know that for sure at least with the Liebherr I am looking at.

Hope that helps.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

There is no real standard for counter-depth fridges. But in general, the depth without the doors will be the depth of the counter, 24-27". The doors will protrude from the counter and cabinets.

A built-in will look like the cabinets themselves. It is shallower but available wider (40"-42") to make up for the lost volume. A built-in has 'special' hinges so that the doors can swing without hitting adjacent counters.

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Counter depth is a marketing term that generally means the fridge is 24" deep BUT that can be just the box or include box and door. A friend of mine wound up with a "counter depth" fridge, built in, that really was 33" deep and stuck out from the cabinets like a brute because the spec sheet did not include the measurement with the door.

Built in fridges don't have finished sides, get bolted to the cabinets and can take a front panel or not.

Non built in fridges have finished sides and can be installed to look like built ins even when they are not.

Older fridges were something like 63-68" tall and about 33" deep. Because counter depth fridges have less depth, they must be taller. My Viking is about 83" tall.

Before buying, it's best to go see the various fridges and check the spec sheets so you know what's needed. Some require clearance on the side for the door swing and others do not. In addition to the spec sheets, I'd take a look at the design guide, too.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, this is really very helpful.

• badgergrrl
    12 years ago

Well, they don't HAVE to be taller, some of them are just smaller 'european' sized fridges, which are perfect for those of us with small kitchens or just two people who have less fridge storage needs than a family of 4.