Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gap between dishwasher and cabinet?

Posted by snbtwins (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 14:54

I just had my new Bosch stainless dishwasher installed and it must be smaller than my prior dishwasher because there are gaps on either side where it meets the cabinets. Is there something I can buy to fill in the gaps?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gap between dishwasher and cabinet?

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
another picture

Photobucket

o

In our last house there was a gap though not quite as large as you are showing. We had a beaded piece added to each side of the cabinet. That made it very tight.

o

The dishwasher is supposed to be installed in a 24" wide opening, same as others. Don't know how your other one was installed but you have face frame cabinets and the install looks to be correct.

Part of the problem is that you have partial overlay doors, Euro DW's just tend not to look there best with that type of cabinetry anyway.

o

Our Miele calls for a 23 5/8" opening. This might be smaller than a standard American opening. Sorry, I don't have an answer for you though.

o

Miele has a metric cabinet - 60 cm, the y sell strips to take up the xtra space if you're retrofiting in 24"

Same as the Bosch, they don't look theri best with framed partial overlay cabinetry.

o

Thank you for the responses. I guess I just have to live with the gap. My previous dishwasher was black and I guess I just didn't notice the gap, it probably just blended in.

I am very happy with the dishwasher so far.

o

snbtwins, since your raised panel cabs have a beaded look in them a piece of beaded trim on each side of the opening would look very good. Also with a tight fit the DW is quieter. If you could get one from the cab co. I am sure a carpenter could make one up quickly and you could find a good match on the stain.

o

Depending on who did your cabinets, you might be able to put a filler piece in there, perhaps with some glue (to the cabinet side).

o

The cabinets were here when we moved in, I don't know who the manufacturer is, unfortunately.

o

From the photo, it looks like red oak cabinets. It should be quite easy to pull out the DW, install 2 filler strips (stained and finished to match). The filler strips could be either glued screwed into the cabinets or nailed-- both screws and nails would be hidden by the dishwasher.

Best.

o

Snbtwins--I'm not seeing any vapor barrier to protect the underside of your countertop. You'll need something there to protect the particle board.

o

I will go to Home Depot and look for filler strips.

What do you suggest for a vapor barrier?? I think it has been like this for at least 10 years.

o

The vapor barrier while a good idea isn't strictly necessary with integrated Euro models. As long as you wait for the unit to cool down after running before opening the door your tops should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here