Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf Oven: Here we go again!

Posted by kalapointer (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 14:43

I am on my second Wolf E Series Double Oven. The first one had the dreaded chipping porcelain. Now the replacement oven start chipping after I used it about 3 times. Same chipping in all four corners. The oven was installed last March 2013. I contacted Wolf last November and told them but wanted to get through the holidays and would wait until some time in the spring.
I emailed them yesterday and told them my sad story of oven #2 and today I received a reply with these 4 questions.

1. Has the cooking performance changed? Not that I can tell.
2. When the oven is on, does any area of the floor glow red? You're kidding, right?
3. Is this occurring in both ovens? Yes but only used this oven 3 or 4 times. Never ran self-clean on it.
4. Was anything placed on the oven floor? No

Well, Question #2 is ridiculous. Steel needs to be over 900 degrees to glow red.

The Wolf Rep. also wrote that the New E series does not have a replaceable bottom floor, but the M series does. Last November they told me the E series had a replaceable bottom. Do they know what is going on at Wolf??

Stay tuned, more to follow. Kala

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf Oven: Here we go again!

YEP-line change they are overwhelmed with all the new models they are intorducing within the next yr

o

I got the same questions. I thought the same thing about #2.

Yikes.

o

I had my new replacement single E series oven installed several months ago. After my first use, and then again after my first cleaning, there was some chipping/crazing from one corner, especially. Since then, there has been nothing. I am going to use the self-clean again to see if I get any more shards, but I'm wondering if maybe the crazing has ended?

o

I was wiping the floor of the bottom oven and found several shards. They were not near the corners but in the middle of the bottom of the oven. I don't use the bottom oven much, it shows signs of chipping in the corners also.

photo 76e755f3-3687-41b3-b00a-d9a5ab14c928_zps7b3125bc.jpg

Here is a corner of the upper oven.

photo 974a709f-afc4-4a75-92e8-c6e18461c7d3_zpsbb4bfb5e.jpg

o

I'm kinda surprised that Wolf continues to manufacture and market these blue interior ovens, given that they seem to be associated with failure rather than quality.

o

Well, Good news. Wolf has agreed to replace my double oven at no cost to me, unless I want to up grade to the M Series when it comes out at the end of the year. Then I will pay the difference between the E and the M. Wolf will do the right thing if you are still under the warranty period. Sorry Wekick.
Jelly - You are right that Wolf needs to find out the problem with their blue porcelain failures. Maybe they need to use the black and move on, but they tell me that this chipping is very rare and have only seen it a few times. HUMMM. Ok If you say so.

o

" ... but they tell me that this chipping is very rare and have only seen it a few times. HUMMM. Ok If you say so."

Did you tell them their rare beast was roaming around unchecked on GW?

That's great that they are fixing it for you. I'm still under warranty with my range (black interior) but my dealings with their customer service department have been a pleasure.

:-)

o

I don't think there is any issue under the warranty to get them to fix it, but I did expect to get a little more use out of my range than the warranty period. That time frame runs out. They have always answered my emails politely and promptly too. Very pleasant people.

gharborwa, I would be a little worried about tiny glass shards flying around that you can't readily see. I wouldn't use convection or cook anything in an open pan. Even if you don't have more chipping they might be present.

Posted by jellytoast

Did you tell them their rare beast was roaming around unchecked on GW?

Lightning has been striking many of our posters two and three times.

My son is a plumber and always asks people about their appliances and you would be surprised the number of people that do not cook and use their appliances minimally if at all.

o

Totally off-topic, wekick, but with regard to people who don't use their appliances, when I was shopping for appliances for my kitchen I saw a really, really beautiful, artistic,very expensive vent hood for over the cooktop. It was made of beautiful glass. I asked the salesman how does this get cleaned? It seemed like it would be splattered and need a wash-down after every omelet.
He looked at me, and with a perfectly straight face, he replied, oh, it's not for people who cook.

o

jelly, is there an issue with your range? we are set on the 36" AG and want to make sure no issues.

o

There aren't any issues with the all gas ranges that I know of. Only the DF ranges and the wall ovens with the blue porcelain. These are all electric ovens not gas.

o

AGK, I have the AG model that was discontinued last year. I had a recurring issue with the flames coming out a bright orange color and with constant clicking even after the burners were lit. After a couple of tech visits failed to solve the problem, they sent out two "higher ups" who worked on my range for several hours making adjustments. The flame was adjusted and is now fine. The burners still click, but it seems to subside after the initial condensation goes away from the bottom of the pans. And it generally happens with large diameter pans, not small ones. I emailed back and forth with another GW member who had the same clicking issue and hers, too, would stop when the condensation went away.

Yes, it's annoying that they click like that and I wish they didn't, but I still love the range! The burners work great (once they stop clicking!) and the oven cooks perfectly. Maybe some more fine tuning would completely solve the problem, but it's really inconvenient having service people come out. I'm still under warranty, but I don't want to bother with it. I do wonder if the extra clicking will somehow shorten the life of the ignitors ...?

Your model has different burners and will likely not have that issue at all.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 19:27

o

thank you for the info jelly and glad to hear you're pleased with your range despite the clicking. hope it resolves for you though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here