Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feisty68

please help me not screw up my Miele dishwasher installation

feisty68
10 years ago

I have learned a ton from the reuters' "Help with noisy Miele Diamond?" thread. My dishwasher is the Miele G5285 SCSF Futura Crystal Series and it's not installed yet - it will be between the sink and the fridge with 3 cm granite counter on top. Here are the installations instructions for my dishwasher. Here is the Miele official video (?) for G5000 North American Installation. I am planning a 23-5/8" wide opening and no gap between the dishwasher top and the counter.

Question #1 - The video says "a light guide ensures that the dishwasher's operating status is visible at all times". The process for installing it is shown in pictures 6 & 7. That seems like a good idea because the controls are hidden. Thing is, I can't find the light guide in my stash of Miele items. Also, the vapour guard that I have doesn't look like the one shown in picture 6 (which in the case of granite is used only as a template) - it doesn't have the cutout for the light guard. So should I assume there is no light guard for my model?

Question #2 - Because my cabinets along that wall are bumped out, I will have a lot of space behind the dishwasher. Should I attempt to fill it in to reduce potential noise issues?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

I should say that even uninstalled the dishwasher is running pretty quietly (it's temporarily hooked up).

Comments (6)

• xedos
    10 years ago

The light lens is really not worth the trouble in my opinion.

You can see the red light projected on the underside of your counter with out it. What it does is creates a line of red between the DW door and the underside of the counter. Think a 1 unit high LED array that is used for the third brake light on some cars.

If the underside of your stone is not honed or polished, the lens wont stick anyway.

All this said - that model doesn't even have the projecting status light. Instead , it has a buzzer.

Be sure your cabinetry opening is plumb, level , and square.

Be sure the installer installs the fibre insulation between your cabinetry toekick and the unit's underside.

• User
    10 years ago

I've been amazed by all of the information that one can learn on this website.

I believe Xedos recently used the phrase echo chamber to describe my installation, and I was already inclined to believe him. The fact that your dishwasher runs pretty quietly outside of the cabinets only reinforces the idea that bad installations amplify the noise.

Best of luck!

• schicksal
    10 years ago

Thank you for inadvertently answering my question about what on earth the instructions have you doing in steps 6 and 7!

I too eagerly await the answer for your question #2. If the inside dimension of the cabinetry is 24.5 inches would some fiberglass batt cuttings eliminate the echo chamber effect, or cause other problems?

Also, I'm curious about how you're handling the toe kick. Our current design is a thin sheet of wood with aluminum or stainless adhered to the front (typical overall toe kick thickness) but if that is inadequate I need to change plans.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Suppose you can add some insulation behind the dishwasher. I know some European Bosch dishwashers have some behind the tub as well - not so much for soundproofing but to keep the heat inside the tank as much good as possible.

Alex

• feisty68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shicksal, I am continuing the cabinetry toekick across the diswasher.

Xedos - what fibre insulation are you talking about?

Sorry for the delay in replying - I didn't get a notification that there were replies here :)

• xedos
    9 years ago

step 6 shows you to pull the power cord from the front of the unit underneath it to the back - where your elect. outlet will be. It also shows you not to place that cord under the leveling legs. !

Step 7 shows you not to kink the drain and supply hoses and to be mindfull of the leveling legs.

Yours may not get the fibre insulation pad for the floor as it's a lower tier model. It's hard for me to keep track of all this stuff sometimes.