Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did you buy extra warranty for your appliances?

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 14:15

I am getting the items below:

1) Bertazzoni 30" PRO304GASX
- range
2) Fisher Paykel fridge RF170ADX1
- no water, no ice maker - basic
3) Zephyr Anzio - hood
4) Miele Crystal DW
5) GE 12'' microwave

What your thoughts are? Should I pay extra money for a warranty for at least the Berta and F&P?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you buy extra warranty for your appliances?

This isn't something I usually do. I'm the sort of person that only carries liability insurance (no collision) on my cars. However, given the widespread repairs reported on modern appliances, I opted to spend $179 at Lowes, which covered 4 additional years (five total) on my LG fridge and my FisherPaykel dishwasher drawers.

When I bought my induction range from AJ Madison, they threw in their 3 year (additional 2) warranty for free.

o

One big problem with extended warranties is that you may be locked into a particularly bad service company. Better to save the money and hire a good repair service if necessary.

o

Thank you both! Great tips!

o

I would not pay for extended warranties. However, I have used free extended warranties as bargaining chips in securing my business. I obtained an extra year of warranty for example on my Wolf range to purchase it from a particular vendor. They were offering me the unit at the same price as another vendor, so the tie went to the business that would sweeten the deal another way.

o

I usually decline extended warranties for anything, but DH insisted on getting them for our DCS range and Meile DW 4+ years ago. The service on the Meile (through Meile Canada) has been horrible - took almost 4 weeks to get a part to fix the %%^** thing. The warranty on the range was through the dealer, and I got a new oven igniter the NEXT DAY!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here