Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthavila_gw

Calling Liebherr Owners: BioFresh Yes or No?

marthavila
13 years ago

Well, it has finally come to this: At approximately 2 years post install, my beloved Liebherr 36" FD, integrated refrigerator is being replaced! Turns out that, in the opinion of the servicer, there have just been too many issues with my first generation unit (i.e., doors, icemaker). Therefore, they have decided to toss it and replace it with a fully upgraded new model. Woo hoo!Now, the big question for me is (and this is especially for those with direct ownership or sales experience with Liebherr's Biofresh units) -- do I go with just a later generation, improved and upgraded HC 2062 or do I request a HCB 2062 -- i.e. essentially the same model but with Liebherr's Biofresh feature? (I note that Biofresh was not available in the 2062 line when I first purchased my refrigerator back in 2008).

As far as I can tell the pros and cons of Biofresh are these:

Pros: Food storage goes up several notches in quality and duration. In fact, according to the KBIS review (2010), With BioFresh, the Liebherr technology allows the drawers to self adjust, adapt to any fluctuation and ensure that the temperature is perfect for the contents of the drawer. You can independently adjust each drawer one as a HydroSafe, the other as a DrySafe depending on what you are storing. It is the precise control system that is way beyond the capabilities of any crisper drawer.

Cons: The refrigerator capacity of the Biofresh unit is reduced by .7 cubic feet(with or without Biofresh, the 2062 units have the same exterior dimensions.); the cost of the Biofresh unit is approximately $600 more than the regular 2062 (a price increase that is unlikely to get passed on to me in full -- or at all.)

If you were in my position and about to make such a swap -- WWYD? Biofresh or no Biofresh? And are there any other pros and cons I might have missed?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Don't think I have biofresh since only the freezer is adjustable. However, things keep so long in there it's astonishing. Like 3 weeks -- so while it isn't really peak fresh it's still very usable. Nothing wilts the way it does in the other fridge. So either way, you're good.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

I just purchased an RBI 1410.

I have not installed it yet but the Bio-Fresh was the single biggest pro on my reasons to buy it.

• wwu123
    13 years ago

So funny, because I also just had my two-year old 36" Liebherr replaced under warranty, but for totally different issues - fridge temperature after at least five repair visits.

My original one was a freestanding CS2062 flush with the cabinets, and we did offer to pay $1600 to upgrade to the fully integrated stainless version HCS2062 mainly because we were never good at closing the doors fully - so we'd hear that annoying beep at least every other day. I did not realize there were newer upgraded versions like the Biofresh version, otherwise maybe we would've asked for that additional upgrade for free.

The self-closing doors are a mixed blessing - the left door is great as it closes by itself, but the right doesn't ever because its middle seal bulges out. We moved all the frequently used things to the left side. The doors require a more sustained and forceful pull to open fully, and pulling one door will grab the other one a bit, before it releases and causes it to slam shut.

Truth be told, the replacement does not cool down fully down to the setpoint either, but it's better - at least the things on the top shelf are at 42 deg instead of 50 deg, and the milk doesn't spoil in a week. I'll live with that as I'm tired of having the repair technicians come by.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

42 degrees is certainly not acceptable for the inside of a fridg---is that with the control set to lowest temp? If so that thing is working WAY TOO HARD, just to maintain 42F and it won't get better as it ages.

We know from your post that you have had far more "Servcice" than you wanted, but I fear you are
    "Cruisin' for a Bruisin' " in the not too distant future if you don't take care of the problem now.

Most Fridges, including my Jenn-air recommend 37F for the inside of the Fridge and indeed I could go much lower than that should I choose---but I won't, as I not fond of chipping ice off the bacon.

It might be a good idea to google the model # and reviews or even the model # and problems just to get an idea of "What Gives" with this Fridge (of course all you will see is Problems)if you google problems so don't put a lotta weight on those posts---just use it to see if there is a "Trend" with this Fridge!

Good luck with it!!

Gary

• marthavila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Email me offline, wwu. I can put you in touch with someone at Liebherr who may be willing to do some intervention for you.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

I took the time to DL the Operator's manual and they recommend 38F for the Fridge and 0F for the freezer and they say the fridge should be able to be set as low as 36F.

Still see a lot of post about door problems even after the "New fix" has been incorporated, and many posts that the seals around the doors split after 3 or 4 years, On most Models---not necessiarily just this model.

I hope Marthavilla is able to help!

Gary

• wwu123
    13 years ago

I appreciate everyone's concern and suggestions. I should stress I'm not upset at Liebherr and I so like the fridge, otherwise I would not have shelled out even more $$ for the upgrade.

The 42 deg temp is just for items on the top shelf, which is where the milk and tall items are, and this is with the setting at the lowest 36 deg. The back wall does reach 36 deg, and the lower shelves do tend to read 38 and 36. So it's not bad, and better than the previous one.

I don't perceive the fridge is working overly hard, judging by how often the compressor is on. It does seem to be more about circulation, and maybe sensor calibration, design, and that's why I don't think another field visit will help. In the five previous service calls, Liebherr asked me a total of zero questions about the symptoms, and the only test procedure ever done is to check the onboard diagnostic codes. The cooling is passive with only one moving part, the temp is never measured or "adjusted".

The door thing is just that on my new unit, the door seal rubber on the right has more "spring" than the left one. When the right is opened the seal expands the full gap width and gets caught on the other door on closing; when the left is opened the seal does not expand hardly and doesn't catch. I'm sure if they were more equal, both would close by themselves.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I spent time studying Liebherr. Two years. In the end I got two fridges instead of one Liebherr.

The BioFresh feature was what made me a bit more skeptical than before. I actually had real Liebherr employees on the phone. They couldn't find words to describe it technically in any way.

In another thread I posted
    "Liebherr had a lot of fridges sold before Bio-Fresh was thought of and named as a thing to have, so BioFresh is not now suddenly "the thing to have". Liebherr had its reputation made before then. Like other high end fridges, their fridges hold a stable temperature."

Here is a link that might be useful: Is the Liebherr really worth it?

• marthavila
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I embarked on my reno of a small galley kitchen a few years back, I wanted and needed only one fridge. Beyond being seriously efficient, I also needed this refrigerator to fit as unobtrusively as possible into the existing footprint. Although I never expected to spend what I did for the Liebherr, I knew I could not afford to go the financial distance required by other fully integrateds such as Sub Zero or Miele. Therefore, after spending a lot of time "studying" appliances that would meet my personal criteria (including reading numerous rave reviews on this very forum), I chose a fully integrated, panel-ready 36" french door Liebherr.

I've been happy with that choice now for over 2 years, even though the specific Liebherr model I chose was a first generation unit that had its share of problems. As already mentioned above, these problems went to the functioning of the self-closing doors and the icemaker. I hasten to add that neither of these problems involved major components which interfered with the essential functioning of the unit such as the compressors, fans, etc. (The door issue was long ago and satisfactorily resolved, but the icemaker proved to be a stubborn hold out.) Now, I'm even happier to know that, having purchased a high end fridge, at least I chose to do business with a quality manufacturer so willing to stand by the product that they offered to replace my refrigerator, without my having to ask for it. This is especially so since I am now out of warranty!

What my experience will be with BioFresh is yet to be determined. All I know is that I've owned several refrigerators in the course of my lifetime thus far and none have kept my foods as well as the Liebherr. Certainly none have looked as good and none have performed as quietly. And, without a doubt, no manufacturer has been more professional and responsive when I've had to call for service. So, if the BioFresh is an improvement upon that, all the better! And, if it makes no difference over the regular Liebherr, I figure I'm still ahead of the game. If others are happier with a less expensive fridge, or with two fridges for the price of my one Liebherr -- great! Whatever floats your boat. I'm already on board with one that works for me.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Well said marvil

• chaydgc_gmail_com
    13 years ago

From the time I first got my Liebherr HC1050, around 18 months ago, the door seal felt loose and I have had trouble getting it to stick. Now the rubber seal is actually splitting. Just stumbled across this thread which seems to indicate that others have experienced door problems in the past and perhaps LIebherr has acknowledged and repaired? Appreciate any guidance about how to proceed, should you have had this problem and resolved it successfully.

• Robli3
    12 years ago

I've had my HCB 2062 for a couple months now and am truly amazed with the performance of the biofresh system. The food really does last much longer and even tastes better. I was very skeptical before I bought it but so glad I did.

• gardener123
    8 years ago

How do you like the HCB2062? I hope it's working out! It's on my list...

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Martha, I am seriously considering the same fridge as you. It's been 4 years since your review. How has it worked since then?