Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any self cleaning ovens safe around pet birds?

Posted by sunnyflies (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 14:10

We have a much loved parrot and I have learned that self cleaning ovens emit vapors from their coatings that kill parrots. (They can't be too good for us either, if they kill birds.)

So, instead of installing it, I will be donating the GE double oven I have been storing for a year to a charity, and I am looking for something safe. Any input?
Our house is fairly small and the bird can not be put far from the kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any self cleaning ovens safe around pet birds?

I doubt it - but why get rid of the ovens - it seems easier to keep the ovens and not use the self-cleaning function - you can always manually clean them with cold oven cleaner which is what you'd most likely end up doing with a non-self-cleaning oven. Also, generally people only run their self-cleaning function a few times a year. Can't you take the bird out to visit someone while you're running the self-clean?

o

Well, definitely not gas. I have a freind, Birdlady, that used to raise Cockateils--right from the eggs, She says if the pilot lite goes out on a gas stove or oven, or it fails to lite, even a small amount of the gas is deadly to these birds.
I would keep the oven and just clean it manually.

Gary

o

Birds may be sensitive to oven cleaner as well. I'd keep the ovens, damp wipe it clean frequently, and let the bird spend the day at a neighbor's a few times a year for cleaning, whether you use the self clean or a chemical cleaner.

o

The short answer is no. The problem with self-cleaning ovens and birds isn't the coating; it's the fats and what-not that are being burned out of your oven during self-cleaning. Since the gunk on the sides of your oven is the same no matter the make, all self-cleaning ovens are the same in terms of the danger they present to birds. Birds are sensitive to chemical fumes of all sorts, whether those are from a self-cleaning oven, a hot Teflon-coated pan or oven cleaner. One approach would be to move the bird to a well-ventilated room elsewhere in the house or, to play it extra safe, somewhere else altogether.

dodge1959, I'm dubious about your friend's birds and gas story. Sounds perhaps like a myth drawn from the old "canary-in-a-coal-mine" birds-as-poison-gas-detectors thing. Birds *are* extremely sensitive to carbon monoxide but appliance running properly don't emit enough to bother even a bird. Maybe cockatiels have a particular problem. I can say from experience that lovebirds have no problem coexisting with gas appliances and yes, sometimes small amounts of raw gas come out. There are a lot of bird owners out there with gas appliances who would be very surprised to hear there's supposed to be a problem!

o

We have gas appliances--water heater & range--and two parrots, a Senegal & a Blue Crown Conure. No problems with the birds.

I wouldn't run the oven clean cycle with the birds in close proximity, though. Why couldn't you move them to a back bedroom on a day when the weather is nice & open the windows so the room is well ventilated and with the range hood exhausting the kitchen? Same procedure you would need to do if you clean the oven manually with oven cleaners like Easy-Off.

Birds are to freak-easy to tote them off to the neighbor's house for an afternoon, IMO. So, I would put off oven cleaning until the weather was nice. With a double oven, it oughtn't be too difficult to manage the wait.

o

First, before donating your oven, make sure it is in fact coated with PFTE (Teflon). Some may be but most are not. I never realized Teflon is used in ovens, especially self cleaning, but apparently so. Most are coated with vitreous enamel. If it is Teflon coated, I would ditch it as I believe high baking/roasting temperatures (450 degrees), not just self clean temperatures can generate hazardous fumes. However, the vapors generated by the grease residue that burns off during the cleaning cycle of any oven may be dangerous to the bird-certainly irritates my eyes. Move the bird to the other end of the house when cleaning as others have suggested. And if you have teflon coated pots and pans, think about those also-high heat from sauteing can probably generate fumes from them also-and don't preheat them with nothing in them.

o

I am a recently retired professor who taught Building Science and just joined this forum so I could post this response. Gas ovens can produce fairly high concentrations of carbon monoxide (CO). In fact, gas ovens are allowed under ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards to produce air-free concentrations up to 800 ppm. I'm attaching a short PowerPoint presentation I made for my class which includes the results of an experiment I did to measure CO concentrations while my self-cleaning gas oven was in cleaning mode. The CO concentrations could definitely harm a bird, which is why the directions for self-cleaning ovens include a warning about that very thing! Canary in the coal mine? Definitely.

Here is a link that might be useful: CO from self-cleaning gas ovens

o

Apparently no one reads their use and care booklet for self cleaning ranges and ovens, the part that says "Warning"

o

I checked the manual for my electric double oven and no warning-probably because it is electric and not Teflon coated. I think the OP's ovens are also electric (GE doesn't make gas double wall ovens I don't think) so CO is a non-issue for him/her. (And I tend to blame the wine and quantity of food for my post-Thanksgiving drowsiness, not carbon monoxide!)

o

Yes, self cleaning Ovens are okay with birds as long as they are used rarely and with all the windows open and your bird at the very very end of the house, also well ventilated for a few hours or until you feel it's safe. Also make sure to ventailate if cooking in a self cleaning oven over 400 degrees F. Teflon and other non stick coating on the other hand, is completely deadly. We threw out all Of Our tefllon pans before we got my Sun conure. We had just bought an expensive very nice griddle that was non stick so we gave it to a pet free friend. You have invested to much love ( not to mention money ) in your parrots to kill them in a matter of minutes. Please, don't chance the Teflon. Also, be aware of Teflon or other non stick drip Pads in ovens. I have a friend who lost a baby bird to one. Sad sad story.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here