Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycbluedevil

How to clean a Miele speed oven

nycbluedevil
10 years ago

I have never seen a good answer to this question. My speed oven has that "perfect clean" surface. Yes, it is perfectly clean on the bottom and sides. But the rear of the oven and the top get gunky and I cannot get them clean. I tried the overnight baking soda and water trick but that didn't work. Maybe the baking soda paste was too thick but in any event, it kept falling down off the sides of the oven.

While the oven works perfectly fine, I would really like to be able to clean it.

Can I use commercial oven cleaner? I am afraid to but nothing else seems to work.

Comments (18)

• dodge59
    10 years ago

There are quite a few post here in Garden Web, as well as elsewhere on cleaning the speed oven.

This poster thinks He has the answer, See what You think!

" I too wanted a deep cleaning trick that did not use Easy-Off. I found that a 50/50 mixture of tap water and white vinegar in a glass bowl, placed on the rack (no glass tray unless it needs cleaning as well) for about 5-8 minutes using the microwave setting seems to break apart the hard to remove grime as the steam created gets into the seams and top so nicely. I let the interior cool down and wash with a mild soapy cloth, and a rinse cloth to remove all vinegar. So far all is well using this technique."

Gary

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Gary. I did read all the posts and that trick was the first thing I tried (except that I used the glass tray because you are not supposed to use the rack with the microwave-only function--can't imagine that matters especially because the bottom and sides are clean). It didn't work.

Has anyone successfully used commercial oven cleaner on this oven?

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

I have an 8 y.o. Perfect Clean regular oven. I would not ever use a commercial oven cleaner as that will compromise the enamel. Knowing Miele, the speed oven is the same.

Here is what my book says:

"Do not use abrasive cleaners, ceramic cleaners, metal scourers or oven cleaners on PerfectClean surfaces."

"Do not use abrasive cleaning agents, hard brushes, metal scouring pads, steel wool, knives or other abrasive materials."

"Do not use oven sprays on any part of this oven."

It recommends hot water and liquid dish soap. I have sprayed it with soap+degreaser (the orange stuff) which helps on grease removal but needs to be wiped out repeatedly with a damp cloth.

My best results have been when I clean it while it's still as warm as possible by wiping with a squeezed out soapy microfiber cloth. The gunk seems to stick to the microfibers better than anything else -- I scrub pretty hard with those. I get the cheap ones at Target. Then I have to wipe out with clear water. The hotter the oven, the better the result but care must be taken to avoid steam burns, of course. I wear thick, lined rubber gloves.

For very stubborn places it recommends a "soft nylon brush."

The only thing that cleans the racks fairly well (they are also coated) is Astonish which I apply with a no-scratch teflon scrubber. But I don't use Astonish otherwise as it would likely damage the enamel.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 18:00

• jennyinlaeast
    6 years ago

Hi - I just found this thread and have had my speed oven for a few months. I too cannot seem to get the top and back clean. I have tried every water/vinegar/lemon trick. Does anyone unscrew the top metal piece to clean that or to be able to get to the roof easier? Any advice would be great, thank you!

• plllog
    6 years ago

Have you tried the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide? That was recommended in another thread. I haven't used it on my (Gaggenau) combi-steam yet, but it worked amazingly well on my regular oven racks. You dampen the area slightly so the baking powder will stick and spray lightly with the peroxide, just enough to dampen. Let it sit. Warming the oven slightly first might help. After a couple of hours, give a light scrub with a non-scratching scrubby (nylon or plant based). If the stains don't all come off with a light scrub, repeat the application of soda/peroxide. I had tried everything, and this is the only thing that works.

For the roof you might need to make a paste first and then apply it. Just use as little peroxide as you can so it stays thick and pasty. I easily found a giant box of baking soda and first aid misting spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide for a good price at a catering supply place that also sells to the general public.

The acids (lemon or vinegar) are the best if you have oxidation (rust or dark spots that aren't from food products).

• future_retiree
    6 years ago

For anyone reading this thread I'd suggest take a look the operating and use manual (link), in the Cleaning and Care section.

In particular it says this (not the mention of soda, i.e., baking soda):

Unsuitable cleaning agents
    To better maintain your appliance avoid
    the following:
    – Cleaners containing soda, ammonia,
    thinners, or chlorides
    – Cleaners containing descaling agents
    or lime removers
    – Abrasive cleaning agents (e.g.,
    powder or cream cleansers, pumice
    stones)
    – Solvent-based cleaners
    – Stainless steel cleaners
    – Dishwasher cleaners
    – Glass cleaning agents
    – Ceramic cooktop cleaners
    – Hard, abrasive brushes or sponges
    (e.g. pot scrubbers or scrub
    sponges, sponges which have
    previously been used with abrasive
    cleaning agents)
    – Eraser sponges
    – Sharp metal scrapers
    – Steel wool
    – Stainless steel spiral pads
    – Spot cleaners
    – Oven cleaners*
    * These can, however, be used to
    remove very heavy soiling from
    PerfectClean treated surfaces

• plllog
    6 years ago

My mistake. I thought Jennyinlaeast was talking about a stainless oven.

• future_retiree
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Two things: 1) The cleaning instructions in the manual are pretty clear, and 2) use Miele's spray on cleaning foam.

• homepro01
    6 years ago

Although not officially sanctioned, I used the Hydrogen peroxide and Baking Soda mix on my speed oven and it worked wonderfully. I avoided the mesh holes in the back of the unit and it has been fine. I have also used the Miele spray on cleaning foam. Once I got all the gunk off with the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda paste, using the spray cleaning foam is keeping the unit clean. If there is too much build up, I did not find the Miele spray very effective.

Good luck!

• vmda2005
    4 years ago

Can you please guide me through how to make that cleaning solution baking soda and hydrogen peroxide ? Please

• Indra Ladha
    3 years ago

I have inherited a miele speedoven with the perfect clean finish. however, the previous owner of the home did not clean it for the 5 years he lived there with his 2 adult sons. it had probably 1/4" of build up on the top, and close to the same on the sides and back. I have been able to get a lot of the build up of grease and food splatters off. The top still looks pretty bad and some of the vent holes are still blocked.

Here is how I was able to partially rescue it:

steam 50/50 vinegar and water for 7-10 min, leave the door closed for a few more minutes and it helps loosen the build up. Then I used Easy off no fume self clean spray for and hour, wiped clean, wiped with a damp cloth, dried with another cloth. Sometimes used my plastic craft scrapping tool wrapped in damp paper towel to remove/ score the buildup.

I had to repeat this process for 4 days about 2-3 times at a time.

i have a miele service call in to see if they can disassemble so i can clean further, or replace the stubborn panels.

any other suggestions?

• Oscar Goldman
    2 years ago

get a new oven!

• sixoaks
    2 years ago

😂

• Marilyn Hill
    2 years ago

I do use No Fume Easy Off on my Bosch Speed oven and it is the only thing that gets it close to clean with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser.  It isn't perfect especially around the coils at the top but otherwise I am happy with it.

Thanks for the reminder to "read the manual" from all those people who have probably never tried to clean a speed oven - lol. BTW- the guy who wrote the manual has never cleaned one either ὠ2

• emlinteriors
    last year

We've had our speed oven for about 7 years and have never been able to properly clean it. It's a great oven that we use almost daily, but we never use the microwave feature because we've never been able to get it to work right. I called our local Miele showroom today to ask what they recommend we use to clean the oven. They said we could use their Miele oven cleaner or Easy-Off oven cleaner! They said they were just given the OK to recommend using Easy-Off as long as you're careful not to spray it directly on the roof of the oven where the heating coil lives because it can get into the electrical wiring and possibly damage the oven. They recommended spraying the Easy-Off on a cloth and wiping the surface with the cloth instead of spraying directly on that area. I'll try this and see how it goes.

• awm03
    last year

Which Easy Off, blue cap Fume Free or the more caustic yellow cap Heavy Duty?

• PRO
    Erin Ness Design
    last year

don't use Easy off. It ruined my oven and i had to buy a new one. It breaks down the sealant/ coating and then the toxic coating will get into your food