Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shivy_gw

GE cafe dbl oven range vs. range w/baking drawer

shivy
12 years ago

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone owns either the GE cafe double oven gas range- CGS990SETSS, or the GE cafe gas range with baking drawer- CGS985SETSS.

My appliance shop recommended the one with the baking drawer but reviews say that the baking drawer really doesn't cook well- better as a warming drawer.

We want a true double oven- does the double oven model cook well in both ovens and is the bigger oven big enough to fit a turkey?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• dgoods123
    12 years ago

Hi. I'm in the process of trying to make the same decision. Appliance store recommends the baking drawer because of the location of the larger 2nd oven. They have a point, picking up a roast or turkey from floor level could be an issue. But, I really like the look of the 2 oven model.

Now I'm thinking about compromise and getting a single gas convection oven and a microwave/speed cooker above. It's quite a bit cheaper, plus, I only need a 2nd oven about 6 times a year, and mainly for casseroles.

Any thoughts?

• shivy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks- same reasoning my appliance place gave.

Anyone else own either of these?

Thanks

• lolittakat
    11 years ago

I've been doing some research and am leaning towards ge cafe with the baking drawer. i don't plan on using it often but want to have that option a few times a year when i'm cooking for a large crowd. Double oven looks cool, but has many limitations...

• theultimatebikerchic
    11 years ago

Lolittakat, I will probably be purchasing the GE Profile double oven and am curious to what limitations you are referring?

• lolittakat
    11 years ago

theultimatebikerchic, I'm pasting directly from GE Cafe Q&A page answers given by GE representatives(I doubt that profile range would be any different, but you should look into that yourself)
    'The lower large oven offers 9' of usable height and the upper smaller oven offers 5 1/2' of usable height'
    'There are a number of functions available for the lower oven (i.e. convection bake, regular bake, convection roast, etc.) but you do the broiling in the upper oven. The lower oven does not have a broil setting so you�ll want to save the broiling tasks for the upper oven' So if you have something large to broil you're out of luck.

Also i've read a number of complaints that the top oven doesn't bake evenly or burns the food (convection is not available) and that both ovens are less functional then one large oven.

On the plus side, the heating time is much less and if you are on top of your food, it cooks much faster, and you can multitask a lot. And of course, you cannot beat the way a double oven looks! at the end it's a personal choice

please read through all the Q&As in my link

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Q&A

• icrs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Does either the baking drawer (GE Cafe) or the warming drawer (GE Profile) work as well with the main oven off? Does that use less gas?

• blubird
    6 years ago

I believe that both the baking drawer and warming drawer work independently. I also believe they are both electric, even in the gas version.