Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homecookaustin

American Range killed my BlueStar Dreams

HomeCookAustin
10 years ago

When planning my remodel I had made a decision to buy a BlueStar 36" range. As things have moved along, we're finding ourselves over-budget. In the meantime American Range has introduced their Performer series, which seem to be comparable to BlueStar (similar star burners, etc).

With BlueStar I am looking at $6600 plus tax for at least $7100 if I buy locally.

With American Range, I can have one delivered to my door for $5249 from several different vendors.

That extra $1800 pays for a pretty nice vent hood.

I am not concerned about local servicing; I am a former contractor.

Should I make the switch?

Comments (17)

• jolb57
    10 years ago

You should recheck current pricing seem BS is running a sale.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

Or check online sellers. I got my 36" bluestar RNB for less than your quoted price for the American.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Below is a ruby red BS with griddle for $4995 plus $195 shipping.

It is setup for propane but the conversion kit is less than $100 for natural gas but I would check with bluestar first if interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Below is a 36" bluestar on auction current bid is $1775 plus $99 shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

The only time I've seen bluestar selling for something in the $7000+ arena was when its a 48" range. For 36", bluestar brand new could be attained for around $5000. This is especially the case when you're buying other appliances and can leverage your buying power to get a break on the range or perhaps an across the board discount.

• willtv
    10 years ago

2 1/2 years ago, when we reno-ed our kitchen, we paid $5100 for a 36" RNB 6 burner in jet black. Signed, sealed, delivered. Including shipping & tax.
    Unless prices have increased dramatically, you may want to shop around some or look online.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Prices have increased several times in the past 2.5 years.

The base RNB starts at about $5.5k

AR PS 36" starts at $4400.

$5249 buys you a grill or griddle.

That seems to be what the OP is looking at.

• HomeCookAustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@deeageaux,

You are correct and I should have mentioned that model. But even looking at the base 6 burner model, the AR performer is $4399 to your quote of $5500 for the BS.

Given AR is coming in 20% cheaper, is it a better buy?

On the AR griddle model I didn't like that it has a simmer burner in front rather than two high output burners. I guess I can forgo the griddle for the six burner model, which may give me more flexibility and would also be cheaper still. I'm not sure the built-in griddle is better than a pan. If anyone has one, I'd like to know.

• HomeCookAustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@rnb

That link to ebay is a company called "Markdown Madness". They seem to have sold several BlueStars at good prices, but I'm worried if they are legit. Notice the wording says "Unit is shipping directly from factory; may take 1-2 weeks to process shipment before delivery."

I wonder how it is possible that BlueStar would allow their ranges to be sold this way. Seems like they would protect their dealer network.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I bought a Gaggenau oven and Liebherr refrigerator from Markdown Madness. So far so good almost a year later.

They were a liquidator AFAIK.

Email MM to confirm they are shipping directly from factory.

If so then call Bluestar to confirm.

Did you look at the Bluestar vs ARPS rangetop thread on first page. Some good info there.

Also some things that most people think should be standard on the ARPS are optional. Like the coverings for the legs and backgaurd. Even the island trim is optional I believe.

The negative feedback on AR is old.

The limited new feedback on the ARPS has been almost universally positive.

Cheaper is almost always a better buy. A bit more risky than such a well known commodity as BS. At least here on GW :)

• eve72
    10 years ago

I believe island trim comes standard same as Bluestar and the 6 inch back guard is extra, same as Bluestar. The leg-caps are like 80, but without them it looks same as the other pro-models. If you can get discounts online for Bluestar, I'd think you could get discount on the AR as well. I believe one of the high btu burners on the AR is in the back, which I greatly prefer if I'm boiling a large pot of water (and want it out of my way) while using the front high power to sear. Just me though. I think the real question is what is Bluestar doing to deserve your money.

• jolb57
    10 years ago

If its a display unit warranty become very limited like 90 days

• HomeCookAustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got one of the ebay ones, a six burner BlueStar, for about what the AR is at full retail. I will let you all know when (or if!) it arrives and once I've looked it over. Could be several weeks due to construction.

I was actually pretty torn between this and the American Range and would have gone for the AR if paying full retail.

• HomeCookAustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update: "Markdown Madness" on ebay did not ship my range. I had to get my money refunded through ebay.

I guess I'm back to looking at the American Range Performer, which may not be a bad thing.

• boredy
    9 years ago

I am also torn between AR and Blue Star! I initially wanted to purchase Thermador Pro Grand, but read that it is pretty problematic. I went to 2 stores, one recommended Blue Star while the other AR. The prices are about the same. How is the gas over oven compared to electric? I have never use gas oven before and both brand's 36 does not come with dual fuel that has 22K btu. Please advise, thanks

• Synergy451
    9 years ago

hello guys,

I am an authorized American range dealer and the manufacturer is planning a price increase on November 1st. I can compete with any pricing and I invite you to visit my webpage with American range performer series video outlining innovection as compared to convection and the performer series burners. I also sell vent a hood and Im the largest stocking dealer of these two products which means there will be no lead time. I invite you to contact me through our webpage on the model you are interested in.

Here is a link that might be useful: american range authorized stocking dealer

• alexrander
    9 years ago

More dealer mis-information hype. The Bluestar uses the same concept for their convection - the air is drawn in from the front and blown out to the sides. there is no difference between convection and innovection in these gas ovens- the info in this dealer's video is just wrong and he should apologize if he's suggesting the convection fan works differently in these two brands.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler