Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Regular" ovens with steam

Posted by eleena (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 13:15

Do you think that the steam feature is going to become "standard" in most ovens any time soon? Just like convection 10 years ago.

I am debating whether I should get a full-size oven right now or wait till it has steam. If I am not mistaken, KitchenAid already has (or was going to have) one.

I can do without a larger oven for awhile but don't want to wait for 10 years. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Regular" ovens with steam

IMHO, it's a gimmick that will go away entirely. And convection isn't even close to being "standard". Most ranges and ovens sold are not convection models.

o

I'm not saying that the convection models sell in the larger numbers, but looking at the wall oven models on AJM, there are 250 convection models and only 95 non-convection. The percentage is even higher when considering only single ovens.

Convection is a fairly cheap feature, even when done right. Steam, depending on what is being implemented, is not.

Steam combi ovens will not proliferate, but they will not go away either. Their cost is beyond the interest or budget of most people, and most of what they do can be done in another manner: if all you want to do is put a crust on some bread, you
can put a pan with some lava rock on a lower rack in a regular oven, and pour some water in at the appropriate time; you can steam on the cook top, etc.

o

I don't think that steam combi's will become as common as convection - to make a combi you need to add a water boiler, much more intensive controls ( so you can set the amount of steam ) make the oven cavity more or less sealed ( so the steam doesn't escape ) and stainless so that it doesn't rust, and make the glass not shatter when it gets hits with condensation. On the other hand, Sharp has addressed all those issues in a countertop version 120 volt model for under $500 - I would think a regular manufacturer could make a combi steam wall oven at 240 volts at a price much more attractive than the current offerings from the high end manufacturers which are admittedly very expensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here