Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janemadcap

DCS Range Question

JaneMadcap
10 years ago

About ready to pull the trigger on a DCS 30" range (not the self cleaning unit) and wondering what everyone's recent experience is with that unit. My friend has one and she loves it (the ignition craps out once a year and they replace it, but otherwise it's awesome). I love the easy to clean surface, the super low simmer and nice BTUs on all burners.

The issue for me is that my friend's unit is over ten years old and I have heard that the newer units get mixed reviews. What I'd really like to know is if anyone has purchased this unit within the last year and what their experience is.

I'm going to write a separate post about the NXR range we're returning and the Kitchen Aid dishwasher that we now love, although it was a rough road in the beginning ;o).

Comments (21)

• eandhl
    10 years ago

My AG DCS range in between the 1 and 10 years, 5+ and never had a problem. I am quite sure mine was purchased after F&P took over if that is any help.

• JaneMadcap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks eandhl, that does help.

• sudaki
    10 years ago

We purchased the RGT-305 3/12 though we didn't install until 4/13. We have been very pleased (once we stopped burning things because it was so much more powerful than our old electric coil). Excellent simmer, plenty of BTU for stir fry. The continuous grates are lovely. Pretty easy to keep the stovetop looking good though it is no longer pristine. Haven't done a lot of baking so I can't speak to the evenness of heat in the oven. Two minor issues: 1). Rarely, the igniter on the stove does not work when the oven is on. 2). They warn you not to broil with the oven ajar..... I had the oven ajar(oven turned off but it had been 400) as I was trying to cool it down to use the oven to keep something warm. As a result there is some slight bubbling on the underside of one of the knobs. User error :-).
    My range makes me smile every time I use it.

• JaneMadcap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sudaki, thanks, that's great info. I will tell you that my friend who loves her DCS tells me that the ignition is the weak link in the product, so you're not alone...

• amq5
    9 years ago

Hello JaneMadcap,

Wondering if you've purchased your DCS yet? We are about to purchase a DCS 36" all gas range and was hoping to get your feedback/experiences thus far. I've been using a electric range for the past few years but came from using a high end GE Profile. Needless to say, I'm very excited to get back to gas.

What was installation like? Any tips/comments? We are installing this range in our 2nd home so I'm coordinating from afar, any feedback you can provide would be much appreciated!!

• Betsy Kocsis
    9 years ago

I'm following your experiences closely since we are thinking about the 30" all gas DCS range too. Does anyone know whether the oven can hold a 100 degree temp? I used my old oven this way to make yogurt. I'm also interested to know how you like the oven for baking, for making pizza, and for broiling.

Thanks very much!

• xc60
    9 years ago

We just had a 36" DCS all gas range installed last week. This range is great, really like the low simmer and being able to boil water super fast. The oven heats fairly quickly and seems to bake evenly. Our pizzas have turned out perfect. We liked it a lot so far.

The install directions and diagrams could be better. If you are getting an RGU model the openings in the back are not as shown on the diagram. The gas supply area is at the left end of the bottom of the range and the electrical on the right ( if you are looking at the front of the range). The middle of the range is closed up by sheet metal from top to bottom and not open across the back as in the diagram. The supply areas are 12" height and around 6" wide right from the end of the range on each side.

• Betsy Kocsis
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, xc60!

Another question (for xc60 or anyone else): How noisy is the oven? Does the convection fan run all the time the oven is on and is there fan noise as the oven cools down?

And the burners don't click to keep them at the low setting, right?

I wonder if Sudaki or anyone else has figured out why the burners don't work occasionally with the oven on? That sounds like a manufacturing defect, no?

• xc60
    9 years ago

The convection fan starts to run about 15 mins into heating, it runs for about 45 mins after you shut the oven off. It's not to loud but you can hear it.

Our burners do not make a clicking sound on low and so far our burners all work when the oven is on. As I said we have no long time experience with our range only using it just over a week.

• Betsy Kocsis
    9 years ago

Thank you again, xc60!

I just found the dough-proofing instructions in the manual online, and I'm delighted to find the oven can be set at 100 degrees.

A review at AJ Madison said the oven vents to the front, which makes it awful to cook on the stovetop when the oven is on. This doesn't match what I am seeing in the online user manual, which indicates the oven vents to the rear. Can you tell me which is correct?

Again, many thanks for the info.

• xc60
    9 years ago

Your welcome, :)

Yes, ours does vent from the rear. We have the RGU-366 model, but from the website it's does look like they all vent from the rear.

• weissman
    9 years ago

There's a difference between the convection fan and the cooling fan. The convection fan only comes on when you use convection - it starts as soon as you turn on convection and stops when you shut it off. It's the cooling fan that will come on by itself when the oven gets too hot and will continue to run as long as necessary to cool off the oven. You can shorten this by opening the oven door when you're done cooking to cool off the oven quicker.

• xc60
    9 years ago

Ok after reading weissman's post, I checked my range closer. Yes, I can hear the convection fan turn on instantly when I turn the convection bake on. It is very very quiet, a gentle humming sound you can barely hear. And it is the cooling fan that is louder that comes on after about 15 mins, it vents from the rear. Thanks weissman, it all makes more sense now. :)

• jwvideo
    9 years ago

This may be quibbling over technicalities, but it seems to me that the cooling fan blows at the front not because the oven is too hot but because oven heat may be radiating into the space where the oven electronics are located. Rather like what computer fans do. If it vents out the back great although that is not the case with the many other stoves with oven electronics at the front (e.g. slide-ins). They also are becoming increasingly common on many freestanding stoves, as well. As are complaints about how long they run after you are done using the oven.

All of which leads to another question. Doesn't the DCS have a switch for the convention fan like most pro-style ranges? If so, once you turn off the oven, can you switch on (or leave on) the convection fan to speed-up cooling of the oven?

This post was edited by JWVideo on Wed, May 7, 14 at 13:11

• xc60
    9 years ago

Our DCS does not have a separate switch to turn the convection fan on or off.

Our last Kitchenaid slide-in did have a fan that blew out the front vents as well as an electronic panel in front to control the range, it also did not have a switch.

• Betsy Kocsis
    9 years ago

I'm confused by the idea that the oven cooling fan might be cooling electronics. I thought the DCS all-gas range didn't have electronics -- well other than the electronic ignition. Are those the electronics the oven fan would be cooling? Or are there others on the range?

• cherry_bio
    9 years ago

We just got the 48" model installed. It's a beautiful range -- my husband and I just stand in front of it, gawking (we've never had anything this fancy in our house before!!). We've only started to use it so I can't comment on all its functions. But what we've experimented with so far -- WOW.

But I wanted to comment on the fan specifically. Fifteen minutes into roasting a pan of vegetables at 375, the fan started up and kept going until about 1 hour AFTER I turned the oven off. This is not the convection fan but the 'cooling' fan. Several posters have wondered what the purpose of this cooling fan is -- and my husband is theorizing that it has to do with keeping the range TOP cool while you're cooking in the ovens below. I think this is a better explanation than 'cooling off the oven' (because why would it come on WHILE I'm cooking??) or 'cooling off the electronics' (because there aren't any electronics). Anyway, just wanted to chime in with this possibility. I'm slightly bothered by how loud the fan is, and how long it stays on. But I think this is going to be a minor issue that will be far outweighed by how awesome this range is!!!!!

• thbmtnretreat
    8 years ago

cherry_bio are you still enjoying your DCS range? I am trying to decide on one for a Kitchen remodel.

• kable
    8 years ago

thbmtnretreat - we are loving this range every single day. We cook a ton and being able to do it on a range like this - wow - it's like a little christmas every day. The stovetop has a 15"-wide griddle on it and my husband uses it almost daily (eggs, potatoes, pancakes, grilled cheese, hamburgers). We've had a few issues -- both the thermostat on the griddle and the heating element (?) in the smaller oven went out. We had a local person come out and fix both problems. Small hassles relative to how big, beautiful, absolutely joyous the whole range has been for us. We LOVE this dang thing. It's my favorite thing about the entire house. Sorry I'm gushing but it's how I feel!!! I hope you can get one and I hope yours works out the same as ours.

• thbmtnretreat
    8 years ago

Thanks! With all the problems so manyovens seem to have, your news is good news indeed.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio