Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bober

Service experience in San Fran/Bay: Wolf,BlueStar,American Range

bober
10 years ago

I've read so many conflicting reviews for these ranges that I've decided:

1) Any of them should meet our needs for cooking
2) Cost for either product is within budget (looking at 36" range)
3) Service experience will probably be the deciding factor for me

That said, if you live in San Francisco or the bay area and have had experience getting service & support for range products from these companies, let's say within the last 2 years, please let me know positive or negative, how that went. If you care to share who did the actual service, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance...
-Bob

Comments (13)

• 59 Dodge
    10 years ago

Be sure to read the threads about porcelain problems, BOB.

Not even "good service", may "save the day" if you have porcelain problems, (especially for a range), alto the ovens can be a pita too to get porcelain problems corrected.

Gary

• bober
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Gary - seems to me there is NO or little consensus that porcelain problems have been admitted by or resolved by any of these or other companies, so it's a bit of a crap shoot. I could be wrong. Please do correct me based on what you've learned, and or if you have any recommendations for minimizing that problem, even if purchasing some other pro style 36" range. I still could do a rangetop but I imagine the porcelain problem still exists if I buy a single or double oven.

I am flexible in what I buy as I think many products will suit my cooking needs. I will need to purchase something within the next 2 months.

• 59 Dodge
    10 years ago

I would really do separates.

Why?

Wekick has a range, and unfortunately the thing is "Totalled", unless they are willing to "Fork out some serious Dough", and then apparently there is "little or no warranty" on the replacement porcelain.

See the post that claims the "New Wolf Warranty" is only 60 days on the porcelain, ~~~~~~unless~~~~~(read the fine print) LOL!

I would rather take the loss, (if I had to), on a single oven, than on a range.

I did do a search for Porcelain problems Electrolux Ovens, and have not, (so far), found any recent problems, and Elux never had as serious problem with it as their "Well Known Competitor", but I will keep searching, in case I missed one or 2. Of the ovens Elux replaced, we never heard of any further problems, but of course the "Wheel Was Not Squeaky", anymore , so some of the posters just "Dropped off GW"!!!

I can not recommend an Elux cooktop, as I've not bothered to read reviews on them, and reviews of them are pretty scarce here in GW, ~~~~~I would go with one that you see more reviews on,. plus you mention "Pro Style", so that leaves Capital, Blue Star and American, and I'm not sure all of them are available as Rangetops and/or cooktops,

Gary
  • Fori
    10 years ago

Bob, have you seen an AR on display anywhere? I went to our local(ish) dealer (Atherton App.) who didn't have one on the floor because they don't sell many. Well DUH! Of course you don't!

Anyway, I'll bump this thread because I'm curious!

• bober
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fori,

a couple of months ago I saw one at Cherin's on Valencia St, in SF.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Thanks Bob!

• malabacat_gw
    10 years ago

There is an AR on display at Friedman's Appliance in Pleasant Hill.

• orangerhymes
    10 years ago

Box Appliance services Sub Zero/Wolf products in most of the Bay Area. They know Sub Zero/Wolf products very well because that is all they service.

However, they are pretty busy so sometimes it takes a while to get an appointment. However, if it is something urgent (like a refrigerator not cooling), they'll move their schedule around to fit you in sooner.

• Fori
    10 years ago

I'm not Bob, but thanks for all the info, all!

• bober
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. Would love to hear about Blue Star & AR. I don't know anyone who has either but a few that have Wolf products. I like what I hear about the BS range & AR (although a bit more apprehensive) though and would love to hear something about their service in the bay area.

• bober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

back to thinking BS 36" range. Anyone know anything about their service in San Francisco or bay area?

• Fori
    9 years ago

If nobody has experienced their service, that means they don't break...right? :D

• bober
    Original Author
    9 years ago

or not many people own them :-)