Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Star Broiler

Posted by catman (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 13:06

We moved back to our renovated house last week. I have a 24" BS range. When I broil with the oven door closed it cycles on and off. When I do it with the door open the greasy smoke misses the hood and my smoke alarms go off. The BS book says it's supposed to cycle so I'm assuming that the door should be shut. Letting it cycle seems silly because it sits for 30 seconds or a minute with no heat. What good is that? How do you BS owners do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Star Broiler

They takes the batteries out of thier smoke detectors, Catman

o

Catman: I don't have smoke detectors yet installed, as I live in a shell of a house while its beeing completely rebuilt inside.

I pop my door open but I do have a 27" deep hood tho and that seems to capture a lot of any smoke that the broiler produces. I would also say I don't use my broiler too often for really smokey things like searing a steak for example as I have a grill and do it on there.

o

If I'm searing a steak, I leave the door open a crack so that the thermostat won't cycle on and off. And like dodge sez, take the batteries out. For other foods that actually cook under the broiler, I close the door. But of course those foods don't smoke anyhow.

o

Dodge, ty and alex, thanks for replying. I tried it again yesterday so here's a revision. The hood works better than I thought. The first time I only was running it at half speed because it has been catching all the smoke from the stove top that way and I didn't think I'd need more. So yesterday I ran it at full and it does catch the smoke with the door open. This time I had a grease fire because I put a steak in a flat pan and the puddle around it caught fire. So I pulled the rack out to blow it out and I could see it all going into the hood anyway. And it didn't set off the smoke alarm. The hood's a 30" BS with a 1000 CFM BS blower on the roof.

I'm not used to such a hot broiler even though it's the real reason I wanted the stove. You can char meat and the inside is rare.

o

You probably know this, but, if you use a broiler pan with a rack that elevates the meat from the bottom of the pan, you'll have better luck not catching the fat on fire.

I rarely use the big one that comes with the range, I just put a small grill over a shallow pan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here