Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Switch out Bluestar Burners - A Tutorial

Posted by gtadross (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 12:55

How to Switch out Bluestar Burners

If you want to switch out Bluestar burners, to either add another 22K burner, or simply move the locations around of your current configuration, you should watch this video posted by mojaveen (a valued contributer on this forum): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMXNqCSBmo

I’m going to outline the steps below as best I can.

Tools Needed:

½” deep well socket wrench with 6 inch extender
Phillips head screwdriver (potentially)

Background Info of Parts:

In every burner, you’ll find:
1. Grate - the cast iron piece on which the pots/pans sit
2. Bowl - the cast iron piece on which the grate sits;
3. Burner head -the eight-armed burner with gas holes. (Note: the 22K or 18K burner has two roles of gas holes on each of the eight arms; the 15K burner has only a single row of holes; and the simmer burner only has gas holes in the center ring and none on the arms)
4. Venturi Tube �" the silver tube connected to the burner head assembly through which gas flows. (Note, any front burner, of any BTU rating, will have a shorter Venturi tube than any rear burner).
5. Orifice �" the brass nut with a hole in it that regulates the gas flow. A 22K burner uses a size 47 gauge orifice; a 15K burner uses a 28 gauge orifice; and a simmer burner uses a 49 gauge orifice. I don't know why the sizes get bigger as the hole gets smaller but that's just how it goes I guess.

Steps to Switch out Burners:

1. Remove the cast iron grate and bowl of the burner head you want to replace, as well as it’s neighboring cast iron grates, etc. to make some space.
2. Unplug the electric wire connected to the igniter
3. Pull off the burner head and venturi tube by gently pulling both toward the back of the range
4. Put the deep well socket wrench and extender into the area where the Venturi tube ended. That’s where you’ll find the brass orifice. Turn the socket counterclockwise to loosen. See video for guidance.
5. If you want to switch a 15K for a new 22K, you’ll have to also replace the orifice with the proper size, noted above. Re-insert the proper sized orifice using the socket wrench. Do not overtighten, as this is a brass piece and a gentle hand is required to avoid overstripping, etc
6. Simply reinsert the Venturi tube/burner head assembly onto the orifice, line everything up so it’s good and level and you’re done.

Now, if you want to switch the location from the front to the rear, or vice versa, there'll be one additional step as the front burners have shorter venturi tubes than the rear burners which have longer venturi tubes. You'll have to unscrew the Venturi tube off the burner heads whose location you want to move, and switch out the long venture tube for the short one. Very easy. Just two screws and offset washers that hold the tubes in place.

Lastly, you may have to adjust the air shutters slightly to let more air in or less air depending on what you need. The air shutters are at the end of the Venturi tubes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Switch out Bluestar Burners - A Tutorial

Thanks for posting. I originally crossed the Bluestar off my list because I wanted a simmer or the 15 in the front of the range, and didn't like the idea of paying them to move the burner around ( I was quoted $384 to move a burner) . It is definitely at the top of the list now. Barry.

This post was edited by Barryv on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 8:24

o

That's pretty steep just to move a burner. You could upgrade to another 22k for less than that.

o

Gtadross, thanks again, I got my Bluestar and swapped the position of 2 of the burners with no problems. Barry

o

Thanks so much for the into, any idea what the part #'s are to go from 15K to a 18K burner on the Bluestar 36"?

o

gtadross:

Higher numbered gauges are always smaller, in wire, sheet, and shotguns.

Please recheck your first message, find list no. 5. The BTUs vs orifice gauge values are not consistent with your ending sentence. One would expect a 22k burner to have a lower gauge number than a 15k burner.

kas

o

kaseki, you are correct. that was a typo (i wrote that post out on my iphone).

so the correct orifice guide is:

47 gauge = 22K burner
48 gauge = 15K burner
49 gauge = simmer burner

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here