Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Weird problems with Bosch induction cooktop

msl511
9 years ago

I've just started using my 500. I'm starting to think I may be one of the very few people who regrets this purchase on the grounds that the more complicated a device is the more ways there are for it to have problems.

I was making some pasta last night. I put a covered pot of water on to boil. When it came to a boil, I put took the cover off and rested it on one of the other burners, just because it was a nearby flat place to put it down. The only burner I had on was the one with the pot with the pasta. After a few seconds, the cooktop beeped and showed all E's. I swore and ran for the manual. It said that if you saw all E's, it was because the on/off button was pressed for more than 5 seconds, to clean the buttons, remove any objects from the cooktop and reset it. I really don't think I pressed the on button. Bosch CS was minimal help when I called today, but they seemed to think it possible that the lid on the burner was the problem. Really? Are they seriously telling me that if any burner is on, I can't just rest something on another unused portion of the cooktop? Whose idiot idea was that?

On to today's problem. I made a 6 qt pot of soup this morning. It simmered quietly for 3 hours, then I turned it off. I wanted to move it off the cooktop, but it won't budge. I know I can lift it. I'm the one who put it on there. It's like some kind of seal has been created. I'm really hoping it just releases as it cools. Any thoughts on what's happening here? Would a paper towel under a pot prevent this problem in the future?

Comments (11)

• llaatt22
    9 years ago

How do you "rest" the hot lid, exactly?
    Right side up or on handle and rim?

How often and what steps are involved in cleaning your cooktop and 6 qt pot?

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    9 years ago

I can't speak to your first problem - I've never had that happen on mine and I rest lids on the cooktop frequently.

As to the problem with the pot "sealing" itself to the cooktop, that can happen when: (1) There is some moisture under the pot and (2) the bottom of the pot is thin enough and the sides rigid enough that as the pot heats and the bottom expands, it raises in the center just slightly, forming a suction. A better pot or a paper towel under it will prevent this from happening.

• apalmieri
    9 years ago

I have had all E errors after a pot has boiled over, but once I dried the spill it stopped. I've never had anything stick to my stove top.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I've had a pot "stick" to my Bosch induction cooktop, but never so much that a little jiggle wouldn't get it to release.

• msl511
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It let go when it cooled off, but before that, I didn't want to jiggle too hard since it was very full of hot soup. I need a bigger stockpot.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I have a sister brand unit and have done both things.

Yes, it was your lid causing the EE's. It was enough like a pot to activate the sensors but they knew it wasn't a proper pot and wanted you not to try to cook in it. Try turning it upside down, or put a potholder under it, or put it on the counter, instead.

I've had the same stuck problem with my steel stockpot--many times. :) Agreed about the moisture and the suction. You need to be brave. It's just suction and not stuck like with glue. Sometimes adding a little more moisture by dribbling around it with a paper towel (sponge can be too much) works. In general, however, I just grab the handles tightly, and give it a slow, but very firm, twist. That seems to loosen it much more easily than trying to push it straight or lift it. You can also wait for it to cool down, but you probably don't want to. :) (edit--Oh! You did that.)

Drying the bottom of your pot and the surface of the stove (in case you've just wiped it) helps prevent the stuckness, but when you're making soup, a little moisture running down the sides is enough to make it happen. Try the twist. It works, even when the pot is full and very heavy.

BTW, you'll also probably get beeping and EE's when you rest your hand on the controls, put a damp sponge down on them, spill on them, etc. This is the unit's way of saying, "WHAT THE HAY?? STOP THAT!!"

This post was edited by plllog on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 17:17

• Fori
    9 years ago

As an aside, I wouldn't leave a paper towel under a pot for 3 hours without checking it every so often. I KNOW it isn't likely to get that hot, but if it does, it'll be embarrassing. I managed to ignite a paper towel...not doing a long low simmer but still, it can happen. :D

• venmarfan
    9 years ago

As per Kaseki's post in another thread , I have cut small circles-2 to 3 inch - from a silicone baking pan liner and put 3 in a triangle pattern over each hob-should prevent that suction sticking but also prevents pan bottoms from scratching the ceramic surface. I used the fairly cheap solid silicone liner, don't try to cut up a pricy fibreglass reinforced Silpat. After 1 1/2 years they have just darkened slightly and the remaining sheet can supply 2 or 3 more sets of these discs- just give them a soapy rinse any time you clean the top and reuse.

• plllog
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention, on mine, if you don't touch the controls for four hours, it feels abandoned and turns itself off to pout. Yours likely does this too. Just adjust the temperature every now and then, even if it's just up one, let it register, then back to where you started. You probably don't even need it to register. Just letting the cooktop know you're there is the important thing.

• PRO
    stixnstones
    2 years ago

I hate hate hate my Bosch cooktop! It errs anytime you put anything wet on it even a spoon. I’m not talking about the controls, which err when you touch them briefly with a wet finger too. I’m talking about the general range. You CANNOT put a wet lid, sponge, spoon,finger or boil over a pot anywhere. It constantly throws a Boschy hissy fit beeping at me. Forget about cleaning it, impossible. It even has a child/cleaning lock button but does not stay on long enough to wipe the top 2 x. Biggest regret of my life!!!