Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Bluestar's ''Inspired by Marcus' Range OMG

drjoann
13 years ago

What does anyone know about the new "Inspired by Marcus" range that was unveiled at his restaurant in Chicago, last night?

Yesterday, there were tweets that something big was going to happen & this morning, there was a tweet with at link to some pictures:

http://twitter.com/bluestarcooking

The only thing I could quickly find by googling is in the link, below. Scroll down to the April 15th entry. The thing looks s#xy, but nothing on the Bluestar site. The article says they won't be out until June & there will only be 200 of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down for Marcus + new Bluestar

Comments (56)

• jakkom
    13 years ago

That was an evil, evil link - I just want you to know that, LOL!

I want it in Bronze, I want it in Bronze, I want it in Bronze........aaargggghh

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    13 years ago

I don't know the price of these units yet but i am sure the price will kill some of that WANT......lol

• sayde
    13 years ago

This new offering just raises so many questions. If they are using their wall oven swing doors on this range, can you get the swing doors on the 30"? If they are building them one at a time can you get pretty much whatever you want? Why not a hot plate and 2 burners on a 30" -- you can get that on a 27 " Cormatin -- and apparently they are targeting the buyers of ranges who really care about such things with this new offering. I like seeing the innovation but it makes me nervous to see them doing this when they still have some pretty basic QC issues inside the stoves. Haven't they been reading what gets posted on Garden Web? What I really want are the beefy burners and a rock solid oven, plain and simple.

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

trevor - don't be a killjoy. Yes, I'm sure they will be way spendy, but I'm allowed to lust after one for at least 24 hours. LOL!

• friedajune
    13 years ago

I'm confused by a range with french doors. Typically a range has base cabinets on either side. Are the french doors, presumably hot while cooking, going to open and hit up against the cabinetry?

I dunno....I'm going to be the lone dissenter here. While the range looks cool--which I think is mostly due to the finish which we're not used to seeing and shouts "bah-linggggg"--I don't get the idea of an open burner range without a drip pan and with french doors.

• weissman
    13 years ago

drip pans? we don't need no stinkin' drip pans!

Hey, if you can afford this range, you can afford to get a new one when it gets dirty :-)

Seriously, though, I had an open burner range without drip pans - the top of the range lifted up for cleaning - kind of like the hood of a car.

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

The range is gorgeous. But, isn't copper a "living finish"? What is that copper going to look like after 6 months of hard use in my kitchen? Will it develop the classic matte-green patina of copper? Or do they expect me (well, my butler actuallay) to polish the copper doors and knobs?

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

The range is gorgeous. But, isn't copper a "living finish"? What is that copper going to look like after 6 months of hard use in my kitchen? Will it develop the classic matte-green patina of copper? Or do they expect me (well, my butler actuallay) to polish the copper doors and knobs?

Copper turns green if left outdoors at least 7 years.

Indoors in will turn the color of an old genuine copper penny. Dull medium tan like color.

If you want brand new shinny probably polish with copper polish every 6 months. If you want it from turning color probably polish every year.

I will just have Maria do it:)

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a description of the finish that I found on the blog linked to, above:

"But what really helped deliver the wow factor tonight was the stunning, and some would say "blinged out," Infused Copper finish. This, combined with the sleek contemporary design, French-door oven, chunky knobs, slim handles and personalized signature plate, made the range truly ogle-worthy. Of course, you donÂt have to get it in copper. Samuelsson also handpicked five other colors: Statuary Bronze, Ginger Spice, Enchanted Silver, Enchanted Sand and Matte Black."

I figure the real expense is going to be the cost to clone a Marcus to accompany every range. That must be why they are only releasing 200 of them, this year. :^P

• drjoann
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a link to the blurb on Marcus' website:

Here is a link that might be useful: New Range

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

So,what is the price on these babies?

• llaatt22
    13 years ago

More on the fab 200.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliancist.com coverage

• guadalupe
    13 years ago

The range is a prototype and the finished model will have the glide out drip trays, this model has a air wash that will reduce door heat to not to worry status they are only making it in 36" At the press conference they were asked a lot of questions and the article is on the bluestar cooking.com site just click on the article

• dcunited_2009
    13 years ago

I was in Chicago and attended the event at Marcus' restaurant. This range is going to be incredible! What was shown was a prototype to show the basics of the product. Yes.....it will have a drip tray. Yes...there will only be 200 in 2010. Yes.....this is going to be extremely allocated. If you want to buy one....contact the distributor responsible for your area and have them reserve you one. Those that are proactive will succeed in purchasing this product. Good Luck!!!

• PRO
    13 years ago

dcunited...........do you mean call your retailer to reserve one, or has Bluestar now decided to go direct via distributors and cutting out the retailers .............

Been as you are a bluestar distributor I assume you know the answer.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Available in a 30" model or a 36" model, the range's cooktop can be custom configured.

The company is limiting production to 200 Inspired by Marcus ranges in 2010. Consumers can order their range through BlueStar dealers in the US and Canada - orders will start being taken on June 7th, 2010, with delivery 4-6 weeks later.

From the article cited above.

I guess more might be available in 2011?

So it may not be a unique run of only 200 ranges?

• dcunited_2009
    13 years ago

Trevor......my bad.....I meant to say "contact your distributor and they will reserve a range to be purchased from a local retailer". Thanks for pointing this out. You continue to be at the top of your game!

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Dcunited - "I was in Chicago...." Did you travel there just for the Marcus event, or--are you sure you're not part of the Abt family? Fess up!

• friedajune
    13 years ago

This article says the ranges will start at $6,000.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Tribune Article

• mojavean
    13 years ago

The range is hideous, the doors are silly! Where is one supposed to collect the sausage that inevitably escapes freshly removed pizzas? I have a very fast Chihuahua who will sense weakness as soon as I drag a range in here with cuckoo clock doors. She will have the cascading pepperoni in her mouth and be off behind the couch to feast before I have rested my indignant beer in protest.

Marcus Samuelsson, genius that he undoubtedly is, has not thought this whole thing through. The "Inspired" line is a Cuprous invitation to the hounds to rob us of our meals.

• dcunited_2009
    13 years ago

akchicago.....originally I was planning on flying in for the event only. But a meeting came up on Sunday that I had to attend which made KBIS in the plans. What was a one nighter became a three nighter. I love Chicago so it wasn't too bad!

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

I guess you can order one today.

Gee, I think someone stole their thunder.

• sayde
    13 years ago

It would be nice if they offered a swing door on the regular 30 inch -- one way they might be able to get around their hinge problem . . . .

The site says there will be a 30 inch "inspired by. . ." but there is nothing in 30 pictured on the web site. In any case it seems strange for them to offer fancy finishes -- it kind of works against their positioning as a workhorse and one wonders why they're doing this instead of fixing the problems they have had thus far.

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

mojavean...I am still laughing...can picture your little thief...with one eye on the feast being delivered by the "cuckoo clock doors" and the other on the fastest escape route! Have a 2 Doodles (also experts in the trade)who can open the refrigerator with only one paw and open the trash pull-out..Oh my, would they would love those double doors...piece of cake...and more!

But... as an earlier post mentioned...tis definitely bling with all that copper!

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Now there are some smart doggies you have, beachpea! My little pooch, Bushie, doesn't have the muscle to open doors but she is quite the opportunist when fortune and gravity roll the dice her way.

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

The other problem with the French doors is that you need two hands... It is enough to have those same two hands handling a roasting pan complete with 25 lb. turkey...let alone the pizza and your beer (wine in my case)

• wallycat
    13 years ago

Drool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They make a small range that opens to the side (on their website):
    http://www.bluestarcooking.com/images/zpic_rnb24_red.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1401630}}

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

The other problem with the French doors is that you need two hands...

No you don't. When you open one door the other automatically opens.

Plus, beast are not allowed in my house much less my kitchen.

No problema

• PRO
    13 years ago

Pricing MSRP

30" $6339
    36" $8010 6 Burner
    36" $8280 4 Burner

Any of the finishes will come under these prices.

• antss
    13 years ago

You folks with puppy problems just need better trainers!

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Yeah, right ...

The 20-minute rest nearly complete, Antss hungrily approaches Sunday dinner for a sample.

"Who says a Novotronic won't crisp a skin!!"

"Paging Antss!! A customer wants a discount off of list price!! Come Quick!!"

While Antss is away, his well-trained hounds daren't so much as sniff his future meal.

"Hey, the table collapsed!"
    "Yeah, I (wink) GOT-IT ACCIDENTALLY WITH MY ENORMOUS TAIL!!"

"Hey Fellows! Does the inside of this thing look done to you?? Wait a minute, what do I care? I'M A DOG!"

"Ruh, Roh, Better cheese it, here comes the heat!"

"Blasted Hounds! I'm calling Cesar Millan on you!!"

• foodonastump
    13 years ago

thanks mojavean, i just blatantly snorted into a conference call. too funny!

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

And I'd always pictured Antss in my mind to look just like Colin Farrell. Yup, Colin Farrell, standing in front of that Marcus/Bluestar range in my kitchen, discussing the copper finish, open burners and btu's....

(you blushing Antss? :))

• dan_no_9
    13 years ago

Bumpases!!!!

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

Mojavean...that was great! Smile.......

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Here's Antss on the phone ordering one of his people to pay a little visit to that dog trainer.

• fun2cook
    13 years ago

I just saw the video/photos of this range for the first time this morning, then logged on here to read everyones comments about it. OMG is right! This range could turn me into a giddy teenager again. It has me rethinking my whole kitchen remodel. Thanks for the pricing info; just a couple thousand more than the cooktop and double ovens I was planning :). Can I take it with me if we ever move? But only 200 units, how likely is some lowly home cook like me to fall into that group? I fear they have them all pre-reserved for a select cliche, and I can't wait until the next release in 2011 to buy my cooking appliance :(. I'd love for them to add a video demonstating the french top. I can't find dimensions, but my guess is that the doors protrude beyond counter depth to allow them to open, like a counter depth refrigerator. By the way, if your dog ever tried to steal some sausage from that oven, I think he'd be one seared hot dog.

• fun2cook
    13 years ago

I just saw the video/photos of this range for the first time this morning, then logged on here to read everyones comments about it. OMG is right! This range could turn me into a giddy teenager again. It has me rethinking my whole kitchen remodel. Thanks for the pricing info; just a couple thousand more than the cooktop and double ovens I was planning :). Can I take it with me if we ever move? But only 200 units, how likely is some lowly home cook like me to fall into that group? I fear they have them all pre-reserved for a select cliche, and I can't wait until the next release in 2011 to buy my cooking appliance :(. I'd love for them to add a video demonstating the french top. I can't find dimensions, but my guess is that the doors protrude beyond counter depth to allow them to open, like a counter depth refrigerator. By the way, if your dog ever tried to steal some sausage from that oven, I think he'd be one seared hot dog.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

How are these selling?

Are they sold out?

Anybody here get one?

• sayde
    13 years ago

Has anyone seen a photo of the 30 inch Marcus? The photos on the web site are all 36 with the double door. Does the 30 have a single door or a double door? And what is the pricing?

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Sayde,

Look up at Trevor's post.

Pricing MSRP
    30" $6339
    36" $8010 6 Burner
    36" $8280 4 Burner

BTW. I thought you were nervous with your budget allotting $4k for a range? LOL.

• sayde
    13 years ago

Thanks deeageaux.

Definitely too "designer" for me -- in the league with Lacanche and Louis Vuitton! I'm more a Coach/Mulberry type myself and a BS RNB (now that V1 is here) or C Culinarian will be very nice -- having that much choice is already much more than we had a year ago.

• Chrisholmes_hstconstraction_com
    13 years ago

I just had a copper one delivered on the 23rd
    What a POS... The list of issues includes a smashed index finger. Before I post any more I want to give BS a chance to respond to me. sorry to be a downer but after 4 months of waiting I was very disapointed.

• cqb556
    13 years ago

Tried to get over the issues with the Doors but have decided to return it.
    They said they would make me a new range with a drop down door but would be 5-6 weeks. That would be 6 months of waiting.
    Other issues no name plate, one black knob, and poor finish.
    Got a great deal over $1800.00 less then msrp but still not worth the price.
    I can have a wolf ag or Capital Culinarian delved by the end of the month. What should I do?

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

If you still want the high powered open burner there is one choice left.

The Culinarian.

• ontherocks
    13 years ago

@cqb556. The last I had heard the Culinarians were still 6- to 8-weeks out. I would double check that ETA of two weeks for the delivery of a Culinarian. Or did you find a private stash?! ;-) Your secret is safe with me, comeon, you can tell me.

• cqb556
    13 years ago

a local shop has preordered a bunch and has one or two that are not spoken for. When told him that I might be returning my bluestar I think I went to the head of the line...
    I talked to blue star today great people BTW. They have a new knob design for the copper range. They offered to send them out today, but I told them I might return the range, so please wait till I have finilized my decision.

• wallycat
    12 years ago

bumping this up....
    anyone else have this and like it?
    Are prices coming down at all.
    I'm still drooling over the copper!

• coz77
    12 years ago

Is this discontinued? I don't see it on their website?

• friedajune
    12 years ago

I just saw one of these with the copper front at Abt Appliances, an enormous retailer just outside of Chicago. I really wanted to like this range, but I regretfully have to agree with the comments above by Chris Holmes/Cqb556. The range did not feel solid, and up close, did not have the luxurious appearance I had expected for that price. Abt also had an RCS on the floor, in the more standard stainless steel/cast iron, and it was interesting to compare the two ranges. The RCS was the winner, looked great. Meanwhile, the "Inspired by Marcus" range's french doors are rickety. Also, the racks did not pull out smoothly. The thing is, there was a Bluestar rep there (very knowledgable guy), but he spent a few minutes trying to close the french doors, and spluttered about the racks that wouldn't pull out properly (can you say, "awkwaaard"). Opening the doors was not easy either. The copper finish from afar was pretty, but close up, looked thin, like it was barely painted on, and didn't have the rich color I associate with copper. A big disappointment. The funny part was that when the rep moved over to the basic RCS, his face lit up - you could tell he really loved that machine. My advice is that if you want a Bluestar, buy an RCS or RNB, perhaps get one of the hundreds of paint colors available if you don't want the stainless front. Save your thousands that you'd spend on the Inspired by Marcus range. Just MHO.