Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Induction Cooktop - Metallic/Mirrored surface?

Posted by ctychick (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 11:29

I've chosen the the 36" Monogram version of GE's induction cooktop for my kitchen reno and I'm looking for opinions on the metallic (mirrored) surface option. If you have this or something similar, do you regret not going with the traditional black glass surface? Any drawbacks from a maintenance perspective? Are you happy with the aesthetic?

Either "color" will work with my kitchen. I know from experience that black tends to easily show dirt and crumbs and in my experience, after cleaning, streaks can be visible if you don't really buff them out with a microfiber cloth. But this is all to be expected from the standard and more widely used black glass. Is the metallic finish less prone to these issues? Are there other drawbacks unique to the metallic finsih?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Induction Cooktop - Metallic/Mirrored surface?

I was considering the ge monogram mirrored surface, but....I ruled it out because it required 12 inch clearance and that would mess up my drawer plans underneath the induction cooktop.

I've since pretty much decided on the wolf or miele, which require just shy of 5 in. Thermadore has the mirrored finish, for a lot more $, but it doesn't require 12 in clearance. Also around a 5 inch clearance.

The ge monogram also doesn't have the stainless border edge. I worry that raw/unprotected edge might chip (like my current cooktop).

Good luck!! All these decisions!

o
RE: GE Induction Cooktop - Metallic/Mirrored surface?

Thanks, Teehee1984. Very interesting. I'll have to check the specs. And I never considered the possibility of the edge of the cooktop being damaged without the ss rim. I was actually trying to avoid that rim because made the cooktop stand out too much. I'll have to research further and reconsider.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here