Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

A "different" question about oven size

eleena
11 years ago

There have been several discussions about whether or not one needs a large oven. And yes, I know that one can fit a 20 lbs turkey in a Gaggenau 24" regular (not steam) convection oven and that BlueStar 24" range has a very spacious oven. I am not at all obsessed with large ovens, quite the opposite, actually. I think they take too long to heat up and may be "wasteful" for a family of three.

I have a steam-oven that I intend to use most of the time. I don't even *need* a big oven as I'd rather get a speed-oven and get rid of the countertop MW.

However, having a regular size oven is pretty much a "must" for resale, so I planned for one in my tall oven cabinet.

I am considering a 30" oven and a 27" oven. I am going to have a face panel made for either, so looks are not an issue.

The heights are ~28" and ~22" and the capacity 4.4 cu. ft. and 3.0 cu.ft., respectively. The price difference is NOT a consideration.

I'll use it only occasionally, like for parties and if I need to make a large butch of cookies for some reason (I hardly ever make cookies, btw). And I never ever roast a whole turkey and do not intend to b/c I think a turkey breast is pretty sufficient plus requires no carving and no dealing with left-overs for days to come. Wink-wink.

The 30" model will eliminate the resale concerns as it is a 'standard" size. However, if I go with the 27" one, I can have another 30" drawer underneath - and I could really use another drawer!

Do you think it could be a deal-breaker if I suddenly have to sell the house (which is not likely but could happen)?

The difference of 1.4 cu. ft. is pretty substantial, e.g., the entire speed oven is only 1.2 cu. ft. But will I miss that capacity? Especially if I get a speed oven?

WWYD?

Comments (12)

• gtadross_gw
    11 years ago

I have a 27" Viking wall oven and boy does that thing rock! Heats up in no time and is solid as a rock. Plus it's still pretty decent sized inside. I use it for my everyday cooking. For big holiday meals and parties etc, I have a 36" bluestar range. The burners are the best and the oven is equally as impressive. It just takes longer to heat up. But it's broiler blows away the Vikings.

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

But what if you didn't have the BlueStar (or another similar large oven) and only had your Viking and one or two 24" ovens (~1.2 cu. ft. each)?

I know you could "get by" but would you be happy with the setting?

• jadeite
    11 years ago

My only oven is a 27" Electrolux wall oven. I would prefer a larger oven because I bake large batches frequently, but I don't miss it. The Elux heats very evenly over the entire interior so I bake cookies on three racks at a time. I've roasted a 22lb turkey in it, with room for a second pan with sweet potatoes.

We installed the Elux and took out the 27" GE Monogram which was ancient and failing. When househunting, I didn't really notice that the wall oven was 27" instead of 30". It made no difference in our choice of the house.

Cheryl

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Jadeite!

That is what I was hoping to hear: three racks of cookies or turkey plus side dish!

Do you know what capacity your oven has?

• jadeite
    11 years ago

You're welcome. The specs say it's 3.5 cu ft. I think this is higher than actual usable space because of the various bits and pieces that take away from the interior - the convection fan at the back, the slots that the racks fit into, etc. I haven't measured the interior to see what the true interior capacity is.

Cheryl

This post was edited by jadeite on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 17:10

• gtadross_gw
    11 years ago

I think I could get by with just the one 27" Viking wall oven. I measured the interior space and it was maybe 1/4" smaller than a 30" GE profile.

• eleena
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

• Fori
    11 years ago

For resale, most people won't even notice if an oven is 27" or 30". Get what you want! (more drawers!!!)

• xedos
    11 years ago

"Do you think it could be a deal-breaker if I suddenly have to sell the house (which is not likely but could happen)? "

It COULD be...............but so could the cherry or white cabinets you chose. Or, the berber carpet, or the tile in the bathroom, or the wall paper.

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to game the market. Not even your realtor who does it everyday for years and years can say with any certainty what will sell your house.

Few people will even notice whether you have a 27" oven or a 30" one. I wouldn't even say 30" is standard. It's definitely heading that direction , but plenty of 27" ovens are in kitchens and are sold everyday. Most will notice if you have a 24" one, but even then it might not be a deal breaker. Besides, if it came down to just that, you'd simply credit the buyer $2500 at closing to buy whatever size and brand oven they wanted and take the old one with you.

Furthermore, you aren't going to recoup the dollars you put into the renovation at closing anyway - so you should get what YOU want and will use instead of what you think a buyer will want. P.S. - it won't be the same things you do. Go for the drawer.

jadeite - how many more cookies do you think you could get in a 30" oven than the 27" one ? I'm guessing the same as you'd probably end up using the same sheets you have now.

• eleena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds good.

"Furthermore, you aren't going to recoup the dollars you put into the renovation at closing anyway".

Isn't it interesting how it works? If I had to sell the house tomorrow, I'd lose everything I spent on the remodel. High end energy efficient windows and doors would probably help to sell quicker but wouldn't bring the price up at all in this market. :-(

I just had to place my bet on staying for at least 10 years - or getting a new job elsewhere with much higher pay. :-)

• xedos
    10 years ago

"or getting a new job elsewhere with much higher pay. :-)"

and higher housing costs too ?

good luck with the renovation.

• eleena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL.

No, I am not planning on moving to SF Bay area or Manhattan. In most other places, it wouldn't be much more. Right now, we live in an area where housing isn't cheap (nothing is) but the pay is much lower than the country average. :-(