Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieirab

built in refrigerators - are they worth it

vieirab
12 years ago

Currently doing a complete kitchen remodel. Would like to have a built in fridge but they generally start at 5,000 - 6,000. Were looking at a 36" subzero ($8,100). Are these systems worth it or are you better off with a stand alone counter depth at about $3,000?

Comments (8)

• wekick
    12 years ago

I used a built in because the one we had stuck out in a doorway. Not sure I would have otherwise. It made a huge difference in my kitchen though.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

are they worth it? Or, was this the right question? "Worth it" sounds like you need to justify it based on money or something that sounds like money.

Meanwhile, we have no idea what your layout is.

• wekick
    12 years ago

Posted by davidro1 (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 12:17

are they worth it? Or, was this the right question? "Worth it" sounds like you need to justify it based on money or something that sounds like money.

Most people do consider money, even if they have a lot. As my grandmother used to say, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

The OP may mean layout or looks but also the way it is made and the way it functions.

• vieirab
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We kick ....thats what I meant. Is it worth it relative to how it's made and functions vs the cost. I've heard they last longer, keep food longer, etc but have no personal experience with these units

• davidro1
    12 years ago

vieirab, your Q in the kitchen forum got more traction. The same point was made that your "Worth it" was a fuzzy question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double posted thread: built in refrigerators - are they worth it

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

I can't imagine my life improving much if lettuce lasted a few days longer in the fridge. One cold box might be "better" than another, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that the improved function is worth several thousand dollars.

To me it's all about aesthetics, and built-in or integrated fridges look worlds better than free-standing. The difference is as visible as the choice in cabinetry. It would be hard for me to justify spending that kind of money on an ice box, but if I could stretch my budget I'd probably do it anyway.

• jgopp
    12 years ago

I love my SZ built in, it is considerably better than my old fridge which was from the 80s. It does keep produce fresher considerably longer than I even thought possible. Is it worth the roughly 8,000 for the fridge? That is really up to you in your budget. For me it was worth it, looks and the ability to keep food fresher longer are a big plus. Also the warranty is killer.

• pspand
    12 years ago

no one can/should say you NEED at $8k refridg. However, i know a number of people who have SZ's from the 80's that look and work wonderfully today. As someone about to redo my kitchen who can't wait to get rid of my 8 yr old, noisy, often in need of repair at my expense, terribly irregular temperature control, Amana fridge I bought for $1600 and paid another $1000 in repairs I am taking the leap to Sub Zero land with excitement.

That said, I'm sure I'd do just fine with something of lesser price/quality but I plan to live in my home a long time and feel this makes it WORTH IT to me.