Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookinmama_gw

Bertazzoni vs. Blue Star

cookinmama
14 years ago

We are beginning an extensive remodel of our kitchen. I want to create a Country French (slightly old world) design. I would like a stand alone range that comes in black. I am in love with the looks of the La Cornue, but I've heard terrible things about reliability. Based on looks and reviews, I've narrowed it down to the Bertazzoni 36" heritage gas range or the Blue Star 36". I also plan to get one electric wall oven with warming drawer so I have a second oven with electric heat. I've read much conflicting reviews on BS service and reliability...but the good is very good. I will use the range oven primarily for roasts/meats. The wall oven will take care of the smaller jobs and baking. Any suggestions for wall oven would be appreciated, too. THANKS!

Comments (23)

• parrym
    14 years ago

Seems to me, the difference between the two ranges is a classic case of form vs function. Blue Star has a much larger oven and the best burners around (i.e function). The Berta looks real pretty and is adequate for most people/tasks (i.e. form).

What is more important to you, getting the best looking range that fits your budget/decor (Berta) or getting the best cooking range that fits your budget/decor (BS)?

• cannes
    14 years ago

These are two ranges I was looking at. I was in love with the idea of 22k btu... but when I sat down and really thought about my cooking style, I realized I will never use all that power. My Bert on high(15k) gets any pot boiling in a couple of minutes. That is sufficient enough for me.

As for the look of each... the BS is very commercial looking and quite bulky. I have a tiny kitchen in an old house and thought the Bertazzoni would "fit" better.

I've been using it for over a year and love it! I have never regretted my decision. And when I see my guests reaction to it, I smile from ear to ear with pride!

• deeageaux
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1401460}}

Bertazzoni

Bluestar

Bertazzoni

{{gwi:1401463}}

Bluestar

Bertazzoni

Bluestar

• chris11895
    14 years ago

Mojavean - that gave me quite a chuckle, thanks for the laugh!!

• cookinmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mojavean...thank you for the hilarious response. I laughed so hard! The funniest thing is you are so RIGHT! I looked at both ranges yesterday, and I walked away wanting to love the Bluestar for all of its power but I kept saying...it's just ugly. I am going with the 36" Bertazzoni. I think I'm even getting it in burgundy. Thanks for all your thoughts.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

Deeageaux, GREAT! That's the spirit.

chris and cookinmama, thank you, glad you enjoyed. Oh, and I know you are going to be very happy with the Bertazzoni, cookinmama. I fell in lust with a Ferrari Red 36" model sitting in a Hollywood showroom. I have a weakness for hot industrial design and I almost bought it on the spot. But when I saw the hulking Blue Star I knew I could never go back to the lovely Bertazzoni. There is just something about all that cast iron that suits me better but that I know will not satisfy others. Really glad you had a chance to see both and make a good decision for yourself.

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Really love my Berta though it's the more modern ss. Cannot wait to see yours.

• cookinmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rococogurl, which model do you have? Have you had any problems with the range heating up the house?

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I have the 30" ss modern one (3rd photo down). We have an open kitchen to 3 rooms and no vent hood. No abnormal heating issues with oven use (it vents in back) though there is an oven cooling fan.

Very happy with oven and burners (plenty of power for me and the 15K burner has a star configuration which produces extremely even heat). My range has a gas oven which requires a thermometer.

Before purchase I emailed with several owners from older threads here, all positive, and have found my experience to be consistent.

Here is a link that might be useful: my range

• sayde
    14 years ago

Oh rococogurl, I love your kitchen, and I love your range in your kitchen. All the elements work so perfectly together! (This is beginning to sound like a post that belongs on the kitchen forum)

I think this thread highlights that it is really not possible to choose a range or any appliance without considering the style, the vibe of the kitchen.

• mojavean
    14 years ago

rococogurl, that is a superb kitchen remodel. The lovely Berta is eye watering, a perfect accomplice for the Liebherr. Very nicely done.

• cookinmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've never even heard of Liebherr. I was going with 42" built in FD KA, but now I need to go check these out. It's lovely next to the Berta!

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

Mojavean,

Thanks for the excellent humor! I really think you nailed it.

How appropriate that the Bluestar cook is a picture of Julia Child. Who is the hot babe in the black dress? I do want to keep looking at her, but I'd rather cook with Julia (who incidentally used a Garland - BS commercial line?)

• cookinmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ripjnk, that's not just a pretty face in a black dress. That's Giada De Laurentis who has her own cooking show Everyday Italian on Food Network. So the analogy is not only funny but dead on. After much thought, I've decided I'm more a Giada than a Julia...which ain't all bad. :)

• mojavean
    14 years ago

The lovely woman is Giada De Laurentiis, a popular denizen of TV's Food Channel as well as frequent appearer on the Today Show as NBC's special correspondent covering unobtainably expensive travel with unspeakable hotness. She is the granddaughter of 70s blockbuster producer Dino De Laurentiis and is, like Julia Child, a Cordon Bleu alumnus. Ms. De Laurentiis's Italian heritage and stunning good looks made her the perfect selection for how best to depict Bertazzoni within the allegorical framework of the photo essay.

• rjpjnk
    14 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. I thought she looked a little familiar. So this is really a perfect analogy. Well done.

Does she always dress like that on her shows? I don't think I would hear a word she said. Doesn't make me think of cooking. Again, with the analogy I suppose ;-)

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Love movajean's photos.

Thanks for kind words on my kitchen. It was a budget remodel (no new cabinets).

cookinmama, it may not be for you but the Liebherr is definitely worth a look. Lots of pros; few cons if it suits. We are super happy with it.

• wolfgang80
    14 years ago

Does the 24" Bert come in colours?

• cookinmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wolfgang, I think you have to go to 30 before you get color.

Here is a link that might be useful: 24

• wolfgang80
    14 years ago

Thanks for the response. I was on their website and it appeared that they were not offering colours on the 24 but they didn't explicitly state such, and I had hope that they may have just left it out because it seemed weird that you could only get some of their colours on certain larger ranges.

• elaineycabaney
    13 years ago

Rococo girl, Love the Kitchen and appliances. Of course you kept those cabinets, why not? Love the color--I was thinking of something similar for mine even though I need new ones, but I'm willing to paint. Also want white marble and thanks for the tip on the sealer. I am planning baskets for above my fridge too. Had them in my last kitchen and they worked out well, sooo light, making them way more useful than cabinets I think.

What brand of DW did you get? I've seen very positive feedback on the Leibherr fridge.

Wolfgang80, I noticed on AJ Madision that there were some poor reviews of the 24" Berta. Don't know if it's just a coincidence regarding the size, but you might want to check into it. The posts were all older I believe, so they may not be relevant at all.

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

elaine,

I needed new cabinets but that escalated the whole thing and a year later I'm not regretting the decision to paint. It's holding up really well and the biggest lifestyle improvements have little to do with the cabinets.

Re dw -- went with a Miele Optima. It's pricey but my dealer gave me great leeway on the appliance package (also got the Berta rebate).
    Super happy with this dw (most are) and all the other choices recognizing things can go amiss with whatever one buys. Fortunately, I've had 0 issues with anything (unlike previous kitchen where repairs went on for years).