Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my Wolf induction experience

Posted by merryecho (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 11:13

Finished my new kitchen about a year ago. Had so much help from this forum that I want to share my experience so far. I thought I would get a commercial style range, as I have had before, but went with a Halogen cooktop because we only get propane here, no natural gas line. LOVE cooking with halogen. A big pot of cold water boils in just over a minute.
But- on the negative side, when I try to sautee something on high heat- say scallops- the burner shuts itself off after a couple of minutes. This wouldn't be so bad if the indicator light turned off, so you know the heat is gone, but the light stays on high- so you don't know you haven't been cooking until everything is cooling.
I assume this is some kind of overheat protection circuit, but they need to at least give you a beep when it happens.
Second- just shy of one year after installation I was cooking on 3 burners when there was a huge flash bang. That was the end of my cooktop. Wolf was very good about it (I was within my warranty period) and replaced the whole unit. The repairman did say he had to argue with them a bit though, explain that repairing would cost twice price of a new unit.
Wonder what would have happened if it was out of warranty?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my Wolf induction experience

Halogen is not Induction ! Could you clarify ?

Halogen uses lightbulbs, and to my knowledge there are no cooktops using this still on the market.

Induction uses a magnetic field to heat the pot you're using to cook.

o
RE: my Wolf induction experience

Agreed - please clarify if you have halogen or induction.
They are very different.
My Wolf is about a year old also.
It does not shut off cooking scallops - I use a high heat to sear those babies.
So far, no flash bangs -and keeping my fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here