Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_amos

Should turntable be used in microwave convection oven?

organic_amos
10 years ago

Hi, I just bought a Panasonic microwave convection oven from 1987 ("Dimension 4", Genius, model: NE-9970C). I can't find a manual for it online, so I don't know if you are allowed to have the ceramic turntable (and roller guide) during convection mode (which can broil, and reach temps of 475F!). I know some of the newer models allow for the use of the turntable in convection mode. But I seem to have read somewhere the turntable was not to be used during convection for such an older model oven.

If anyone has a similar model or can tell me for certain, whether the turntable and plastic roller guide can be used during high heat convection, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Comments (10)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I don't know if this costs money...(I used to have that oven with the Quasar badge, but it's been so long I don't remember the answer!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Manual

• organic_amos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, but that's a link to the service manual, which is for repair technicians, and does not include information about whether the turntable is used during the convection mode. I've tried finding the manual for the NE-9970C online, and as far as I can tell, its not available.

• mfrog
    10 years ago

I have a similar microwave/convection oven. You take the turntable & rollers out & put the rack in when you want to convection bake or broil. When you microwave, you take the rack out & put the turntable & rollers back in. They are not interchangable.
    I will check to see exactly which model I have & get back to you. It's a fabulous oven, I bake pies & biscuits in it all the time, they come out better than in my big oven. mfrog

• mfrog
    10 years ago

I just checked, mine is a newer model, but I think the same rules apply. mfrog

• organic_amos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, but I'm still a bit confused by it all. Tell you why. On YouTube, there is an old Panasonic commercial featuring what looks like my exact model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7TvVuKf53k

They clearly show the cook using the grill pan, but the ceramic tray is present. I found a manual to an older Dimension 4 model (NE-993) that is relatively similar to my NE-9970c. It states that you use the ceramic tray and roller guide at all times! Moreover, it says not to put food directly on the ceramic tray. Yet at the end of the Panasonic commercial, they show a roast chicken directly on the tray.

I called Panasonic btw, and they were no help. They couldn't tell me anything about how this oven is to be used! They can't even sell me a rack. I would like to be able to use the convection, but it came with no rack. Now I'm wondering if I can just stick in a metal rack that will fit the width, or if that will cause arcing during the combination cooking mode.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

It's a little unrealistic to expect a company to carry parts for a machine that's 27 years old. You've probably got one of very few still operating (and real estate costs money!).

That said, have you tried looking on line at parts replacement places?

• xedos
    10 years ago

fleaBay !!!

• organic_amos
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've not had any luck finding a rack to fit my oven. Do you know if there is anything special about them, or can I use any metal rack that will fit the shelves?

• Colin Pye
    7 years ago

I've got one of these ovens, and yes, you can use the turntable and rollers in any mode. It's the same as the previous ones, such as the NE-9930. The racks from the previous models had ceramic feet, but the 9970 had racks with metal feet.

Recently, I got a new tray that fits the rails in the oven. It was made for crisping things like French fries, but since it is metal, and not insulated from the rest of the oven (with the tray or ceramic feet), I would not use it with combination or microwave only modes.

• Jerry Girodat
    4 years ago

The rollers on the turntable are made of Bakelite which will withstand the highest temperature your convection setting will reach. I have the Panasonic Dimension III Convection/Microwave and I bought it new in 1981. I've replaced only one component - the oven sensor. I'm very impressed with the quality and durability of this oven.