Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bph2_gw

buying appliances online

Bph2
9 years ago

After several weeks of research, we are ready to purchase our appliances for the kitchen renovation. We found the range, refrigerator, DW and microwave we wanted at Warehouse Discount Center. The savings were about $1500 on the total over the local Lowes, Home Depot and Wholesale Appliance Center.

My question is has anyone used Warehouse Discount Center and if so, were you pleased with them?

Comments (8)

• Bph2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually about $2000 less. I forgot about sales tax that would have to be paid here.

• Bph2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH just reminded me we are not saving sales tax, just deferring it until next April 15. Oh.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I've bought from US Appliance and AJ Madison online before without any trouble, as well as an appliance dealer from NJ on Amazon.

The one caveat is that you may need to bring them in from your driveway. Not a problem if you have a hand truck. They're $40 at Harbor Freight :)

• Bph2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

schicksal, we were wondering about curbside delivery and may buy a heavy duty hand truck. We will clear out one garage bay to store the appliances in and was wondering if the delivery person would just back up to the bay and off load them there.

Also, we went to a local appliance showroom (Wholesale Appliance Center) and the salesman questioned whether the appliances we found from WDC were new in box or scratch and dent or maybe refurbished. I have asked WDC about this but have not heard back yet.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

It all depends on the person who's doing the delivery. I've had it range from curbside = curb to getting things in the house. Typically a box truck will do residential area deliveries and whether it can back in or not also depends on the driver, slope and area.

But a hand truck from Harbor Freight is really cheap and makes quick work of getting things in. All your friends will want to borrow it when they move.

• chisue
    9 years ago

Are you comparing pricing delivered and uninstalled everywhere? What's the warranty situation if you self-install? Did you ask the locals to price match?

I'd be a little concerned about the lag between delivery and installation. Will the seller claim the appliance was perfect on delivery, and problems are your fault?

• Bph2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

chisue, our renovation has not begun. The cabinet maker said the cabinets could be ready in six weeks. He and the GC will coordinate this (they have worked together many times). The GC will install and I will ask WDC about this also. Hope they will respond soon. The lag time between delivery and install, even if we order this week should be no more than 8 eight weeks. Of course that does take 2 months off the warranty.

The local place cannot come as low on the prices, especially the GE Profile induction range ($2200/2800). But they discount from the prices shown on the showroom floor.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I've renovated two kitchens--everything was purchased online from AJ Madison--and in one case, I ordered from UK. Never a problem.