Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf or Sharp Microwave Drawer?

Posted by applnut (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 11:08

Looking to replace a twice-repaired Advantium (now needing a third repair) on which we rarely, if ever, use the speed cook function, with a built-in sensor microwave that has melt and soften features. Want either a drawer or oven opening model (no side door), as it's in a wall stack at counter height.

Think I've narrowed it down to the new Wolf 30" Professional model MD30PE/S, mostly because we also have Wolf ovens (next to) and a Wolf warming drawer, which this microwave would be above, and because of the company's reputation.

Cons, for me, besides price (obviously), is that I wish they had someone more professional looking to better balance the L series. As the Wolf "professional" looks like an E-series add on to me.

Also looking at the Sharp 30" model KB-6525PS, which I don't like the looks of at all, but is a good bit cheaper and, at least in the past, I've been told that the Wolf model is simply a Sharp with a different front.

Anyone have any compare and contrast between the two? Reasons to look at one over the other that I hadn't considered? Other options I should look at?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info you can share!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf or Sharp Microwave Drawer?

It is my understanding that Sharp makes all of the microwave drawers, although the specs of individual brands might differ (and of course, the looks and prices differ).

o

Hi Applnut. I also have the Wolf L ovens (and the same porcelain chipping in my 2nd set as I did with my first). Directly across the aisle is my 24" Sharp MW drawer. While I don't like the curved handle of the Sharp, I chose it because of the price. My refurb model was hundreds less than the Wolf. Also, my drawer, located in the island, is hidden to the rest of the room.

Sharp makes all the MW drawers. Every other brand is just a re-badged Sharp.

I'm no help, really. Just to say I sympathize with your MW situation. And with your oven situation also. I'm not sure what to do there either.

o

not sure if this was mentioned but the sharp has a handle. this may not bother you if you put it above the oven but it was a no for us since we are putting it under counter and it may be blocked by seating on occassion.

o

AGK, if it's going to be blocked by seating anyway, what's the difference if it has a handle or not (it won't open regardless if there's a stool blocking it).

o

sjhockeyfan- the overhang is not huge so whoever sits there may knock into the handle with their knees or feet. i don't expect it to open but i think it would protrude enough to be uncomfortable for whoever was sitting there. that is in the case of our overhang though.

o

I was told last month that Sharp makes all the microwave drawers because Sharp holds the patent, and the only difference among all the MV drawers is in the appearance.

The Sharp model is much cheaper, but some don't like the big handle in the front, including myself. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to spend $1200 or more for a microwave, either. I ended up getting a commercial MV for a little less than $1K.

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 16:18

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here