Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

GE Microwave smells like plastic burning?

Posted by christine (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 13, 09 at 11:08

We have a GE over the range microwave that is about 10 years old. Last night after all the festivities had ended, we tried to use the microwave and it had a very distinct smell of burning plastic. We (and others at the party) used it for various things during the evening so I am not sure when it started. It does not seem to be heating the food up, and my husband says it sounds differently when it is running, like a locked down coil (he has worked with coils before in an old job). We're afraid to use it at this point.

What the heck could this be??!? I appreciate any help anyone has to give.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: GE Microwave smells like plastic burning?

sounds like its time for a new microwave.

RE: GE Microwave smells like plastic burning?

Weed - any further insight on that?

We were hoping it's possibly something repairable...

Anyone else have any ideas?

RE: GE Microwave smells like plastic burning?

Even if it could be repaired, it will likely cost you more than buying a new one. You've gotten 10 years out of this one - it's probably dangerous to use at this point - throw it out and get a new one.

RE: GE Microwave smells like plastic burning?

Weissman - we have considered that, they are not that expensive. Even if we can't fix it, it would be nice to have some idea what went wrong, you know? It was running fine at 3pm, then at 7pm it stunk up the place for no apparent reason. I can't deny there is curiousity about it. Additionally, I'd like some definitive answer that it is officially dead. We haven't run it at all since we smelled the smell.

FYi, the house and microwave are 10 years old. We have not gotten 10 years of use out of it.

So moving is an over the stove model. Is this as simple as mounting it and plugging it in? Is that simple? It appears there are just grease vents, not actual exhaust vents, bit I haven't checked in detail. Any thoughts?

RE: GE Microwave smells like plastic burning?

It could well be wire insulation that started to melt. If you really want to delve into what's wrong you could check out

As far as officially dead, almost anything can be repaired but the parts and labor cost would make it more expensive than a new one - and frankly once a MW starts to go, it can become dangerous.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here