Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takkone_gw

36' Range Hood Choice

Takkone
11 years ago

I've got a 36" Capital Culinarian on the way. 4 burners plus flat top griddle. I'm looking at wall mounted range hoods, either canopy pro style or chimney style hoods. I have no upper cabinets on the wall where the range is going. Ceiling is a sloped ceiling only 7.5' high on the range wall and goes up to about 11' high on the opposite wall. The room is 23' x 11'.

Most chimney hoods I'm looking at are 600 CFM and only 20" deep. I don't think those hoods will cut it. I'm trying to choose between a deeper chimney hood 600 CFM 36" wide x 24" deep mesh filters or a canopy hood 36" wide x 25" deep with metal baffles. The chimney hood bottom is totally flat, while the canopy hood has an inch or two recess underneath creating a better "catch" area.

I have a crawl space underneath the kitchen and if I need make-up air I would but a vent directly under the stove in the floor.

Am I kidding myself with going with only 600 CFM? All the rage now seems to be with 1,000 CFM and up models. But to me it just seems overkill unless you are running all burners plus over full bore.

In general, do the pro-style canopy hoods give much better ventilation compared to the more consumer designer chimney hoods, regardless of CFM rating?

All I really care about is when I stir fry I want the smoke to go outside of the house.

Comment (1)