Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
36' Range Hood Choice

Posted by Takkone (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 10:58

I've got a 36" Capital Culinarian on the way. 4 burners plus flat top griddle. I'm looking at wall mounted range hoods, either canopy pro style or chimney style hoods. I have no upper cabinets on the wall where the range is going. Ceiling is a sloped ceiling only 7.5' high on the range wall and goes up to about 11' high on the opposite wall. The room is 23' x 11'.

Most chimney hoods I'm looking at are 600 CFM and only 20" deep. I don't think those hoods will cut it. I'm trying to choose between a deeper chimney hood 600 CFM 36" wide x 24" deep mesh filters or a canopy hood 36" wide x 25" deep with metal baffles. The chimney hood bottom is totally flat, while the canopy hood has an inch or two recess underneath creating a better "catch" area.

I have a crawl space underneath the kitchen and if I need make-up air I would but a vent directly under the stove in the floor.

Am I kidding myself with going with only 600 CFM? All the rage now seems to be with 1,000 CFM and up models. But to me it just seems overkill unless you are running all burners plus over full bore.

In general, do the pro-style canopy hoods give much better ventilation compared to the more consumer designer chimney hoods, regardless of CFM rating?

All I really care about is when I stir fry I want the smoke to go outside of the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 36' Range Hood Choice

I think 600 CFM is fine but because you're lacking side cabinets to help capture the smoke, you might want your hood to be wider as well as deeper. This is especially the case if your wok isn't going in the middle. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here