Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karrillion

Bosch Induction Cooktop: Is the NIT5666UC a new model?

karrillion
9 years ago

Hello! First time poster here.

I've been scouring Gardenweb and other places for ideas on my first induction cooktop and have found Gardenwebbers to be a very informed lot, so I figured this would be the place to ask questions.

I'm moving from a GE gas range to induction and, I suppose, an electric oven, since all my reading points to electric as the way to go for baking.

I'm leaning towards a Bosch cooktop because of the timers and the ability to select the exact heat setting you want without the +/- although I was also looking at the GE Profile.

In my searches I found the Bosch NIT5665UC which is around $2300. Then I found the Bosch NIT5666UC for $1700. It appears to be the same cooktop with a slightly different appearance. Here are the links on the Bosch website:
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/cooktops/induction-cooktops/NIT5665UC.html

http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/cooktops/induction-cooktops/NIT5666UC.html

Is the 5666 a newer version of the 500 series with a lower price?

As an aside, I'm looking for an inexpensive wall oven. I don't bake a lot, but I also don't want a cruddy oven. Consumer Reports really loves the Whirlpool WOS92EC0AB, but I've read it has a noisy fan. Does anyone here have any recommendations on a Thanks!

Comments (14)

• kmg67
    9 years ago

Yes that is the new model. I saw this earlier in the week as I am looking at the 30" which also has a new model. I noticed for the 30" model is no longer allowed to be installed over a wall oven although you still can with the 36".

For wall oven, check out the GE JT5000SFSS. Reasonably priced and favorable reviews.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I noticed for the 30" model is no longer allowed to be installed over a wall oven although you still can with the 36".

This of course makes no sense (as well, the installation instructions for both the 30" and the 36" are identical, with the exception of the cutouts). My 30" NIT5065 is installed over a Fagor wall oven and both are working perfectly well. Just leave enough room for air circulation.

• karrillion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great, thanks!

The GE JT5000SFSS is actually one of the other wall ovens I'm looking at and leaning towards. If the Whirlpool didn't have so many complaints about a super noisy fan, I wouldn't be as concerned, though the price difference between the GE and Whirlpool isn't too much anyway.

Appliance shopping is stressful! Now I have to figure out which countertop microwave I want. So far, the Panasonic Genius Prestige NN-SE982S is looking promising.

I'm also looking for an island exhaust hood, so it's back to searching GW. =)

• thisishishouse
    9 years ago

Hi karrillon. FYI, re island hood.

We too are going with the NIT5666UC. Putting it in a peninsula that overlooks our family room. For a hood, we're going with the Frigidaire FHPC3660LS. We like that it's sleek and minimally intrusive. We wanted something that disappears.

• karrillion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been looking at the Frigidaire as well, but since the cooktop is 36", all the research says I need the 42" hood. Is that correct? I've also been looking at the Xtreme Air PX01-I42 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Ixf5_oI9o which looks pretty similiar.

Your project sounds a lot like mine. I demolished a 12' wall and put in a 14' LVL beam. I'm about to gut the kitchen, put in new sub-flooring, plumbing, and electrical hopefully this weekend. When the cabinets come in, I'll have a peninsula overlooking the dining room.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the appliances. So far, Appliances Connections seems to have the best prices, free shipping, and no tax, at least to GA. How's the pricing you've seen for your appliances so far?

Thanks!

• kmg67
    9 years ago

I'd never heard of Appliance Connections before. I'm probably buying at Goedekers. Pricing looks similar and shipping is free.

• thisishishouse
    9 years ago

all the research says I need the 42" hood. Is that correct?

I went into the appliance showroom asking about a 42" hood (not sure if in the Fridge or XOMI) and the sales guy steered me towards the 36". Price was the first thing he noted. The price of 42" is double the 36". He also noted that since inductions don't throw off that much heat or gas byproducts, you can get by with less venting. He said unless I'm using all the burners at once (which I rarely do), it would do the job. Plus, on the Bosch, the largest burner is smack dab center. The highest heat cooking would be dead center below the vent. I've been living with a recirc for years, and no vent before that, so to save $6 or 700 I can probably tolerate a minimally sized unit.

• mtimmer
    9 years ago

Back to the original question, we've been on the fence between induction and a gas cooktop and had been leaning toward the Bosch (if we went induction). One issue with the new 500 series induction--for the 30 inch version--is that it no longer lets you directly enter the cooking power. Instead you have to push a +/- switch.

That doesn't seem to be the case for the 36 inch version, which is odd to me. One of the things I liked best about this model is being able to directly input the cooking power.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

That is a huge bummer of a change! I love my 500 series with direct select (a +/- button would drive me crazy).

• mtimmer
    9 years ago

Agree. Wondering if I can still find the older model.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

You know that the new ones are quite a bit less expensive than the old ones. You can probably get the new 30" 800 series for less than the old 500 series.

• mtimmer
    9 years ago

Well that's certainly good to know. Maybe induction actually still is in the running...

• karrillion
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Bosch NIT5665UC is about $2300 whereas the NIT5666UC is $1700. I'm getting the 36" for the very reason it comes with the direct select temperature. I have no idea why they took it from the 30" unless it was a cost-cutting measure. The direct select is also the reason I'm choosing it over a similarly priced GE Profile 36".

So far, here are all the appliances I'm getting:

Bosch NIT5666UC 36" Induction cooktop
    Bosch HBL5450UC Wall oven w European convection
    Xtreme Air PX01-I42 42" Island Mount Range Hood
    Panasonic NNSE982S 2.2 cu. ft. Microwave w inverter

I might get a new dishwasher and front-load washer/dryer, but I'll have to save that for a bit later once I pay for the new hardwoods, drywall, and granite countertop and let the financial dust settle for a while.

This post was edited by karrillion on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 15:32

• kmg67
    9 years ago

If you need a new dishwasher and are already getting 2 other Bosch appliances you might want to look at some of the package rebate programs they have. You maybe be able to save a few hundred more by purchasing 3 appliances from them.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler