Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Sub Zero 532 21 yr/old. Coupla hundred bucks? Should I?

deedles
10 years ago

Hi, mostly hang out over on kitchens and I'll probably x post but wondering what you all think about taking a chance on this 21 year old SZ 48" sxs. Went to see it this morning. Freezer was fine, thermometer read 8 and going down in just a couple minutes that I had it in there. I could hear the freezer fan, nice and quiet, no strange noises. The fridge... after a couple minutes the T/M said 57 and then the seller got his probe type T/M and a few more minutes it read 41 @ 8 on the temp dial. Couldn't hear the fan in the fridge side? It's a spotless unit, no yellowing or rust or sign of any mold.. the drawers all slide nicely, doors seem to shut tight and I didn't note any cracks in the seal. Seller said they contacted SZ for repair history and there is none... so, all is original? Lotsa hours on the compressors if so. Contacted a local repair place who suggested he put the probe into a glass of water for a more accurate reading. They said can still get parts and the worst thing to repair is a compressor at 1K.

I'd like it and wouldn't even mind replacing a compressor if need be.

Anyone out there keeping their older SZ going and glad of it? Is there anything else I should check for? We can't afford a new one at this point in time but we could sure afford this one even with a repair or two. Thoughts/advice/cautions? Thanks.

Oh. They are asking 350.00 but I'll bet I could get it for closer to 200.00.

Comments (5)