Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mondragon_gw

Fridges that can go right up to a wall

mondragon
10 years ago

I'm sure other people have dealt with this -

Are there any bottom-freezer, full-depth refrigerators that I can use? Or do I have to keep this GE Profile Top freezer model that I despise?

Comments (9)

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

mondragon, are you asking which full depth, bottom freezer refrigerator has a left or right hand refrigerator door swing to accommodate placement next to a wall?

From my somewhat exhaustive search for the same:

Kenmore Elite (seen at Sears yesterday)-may be post market model
    Fisher Paykel with or without water dispenser in door
    Liebherr and Subzero

It appears most refrigerator manufacturers have eliminated single swing (right or left) refrigerator doors. Reasons I've been told is a) lack of demand (niche?) and b) weight of door and c) popularity of french doors

Good luck!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

How can the weight of the door be an issue? Top freezer models have a single door, no problem (and they come in much bigger capacity than bottom freezer models).

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"Top freezer models have a single door"

There may be some of these out there new, but I have not seen one in a house in years.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Come on over to my house, Brickeyee! Of course, mine is 24 years old, but it works - and my kitchen remodel budget is going toward custom cabinets and quartz counters. We're not replacing appliances until they die.

When the time comes, I want a single door, bottom freezer. Our fridge is at one end of a U, and single door makes transferring things in and out of the fridge a lot more convenient. I only wish that the single door models came in a bigger capacity - the one we have now is over 25 cu ft, and the largest single door model I've seen is 22 cu ft. But by the time we get a different fridge, our teenage sons will probably be out of the house, so we won't need as much space.

My point remains the, though - if a top freeze model can support the weight of a single door, I don't see why a bottom freezer model could not. Maybe hinges aren't as sturdy as they were 20 years ago?

Oh, and I saw a Subzero fridge today - bottom freezer, single door. The door was so heavy I could hardly open the thing! While I agree with SparklingWater that french door fridges are popular, I don't agree that the weight of a single door is an issue.

• xedos
    10 years ago

It has to do with the thickness of the door and how far the handle projects from the face of said door.

If the handle project 3" from the door face you'll need a MINIMUM of 3" between the side of the fridge and the wall. Add for a thicker door or deeper handle.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Mondragon:

I think you might be asking about "zero-clearance hinging" or "zero clearance refrigerator doors"

Beyond that, it would really help if you could give us the dimensions you have to work with. I gather you have a space in a corner at the end of run of countertop. But, how wide is the space? How tall? How deep is that side wall? Also, do you have any countertop or a table across from the fridge? IS the fridge door opening into a passageway or does the handle have to go flat against the side wall (in which case you run into the problem that Xedos identified.)

• mondragon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The space is 33" wide. There is a lot of space above so there's constraint there.

Imagine a wide galley kitchen with a wall at the far end. The fridge is on the left side against the wall. There is no issue with the opposite cabinets.

The current top-freezer fridge has the same issue (now that I look) with the bottom right drawer - it can be opened, but can't be removed for cleaning. I've lived with that for a year and didn't notice, so I guess I can deal with the same in a bottom freezer style.

I found a refurb'd Kenmore Elite model 7834 that fits but there is no current model with those specs.

There is also a Kenmore 30" wide but I don't want to give up that space.

• xedos
    10 years ago

A fridge that solves your issues doesn't exist. You will either have to move the standard depth /wide fridge farther from the wall so the door(s) won't bang into them -or-

you'll need to buy a narrower and or shallower (counter depth) fridge so its doors won't hit the wall when open.

A built in fridge could also work , especially with a handleless kitchen from one of the European cabinet makers. With this setup you could get as close as 1" to the wall but you'll need approx $7000 for the fridge and another pile of dough for the fancy kitchen cabinets.

There is no magic hinge or door on a regular fridge that allows you to place it close to a wall, sorry.