Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schicksal_gw

Ordering a Miele Diamond - Filler Strips and Handle?

schicksal
10 years ago

I'm placing an order for a Miele Diamond dishwasher and warming drawer in the next day or two and am trying to figure out the accessories that are needed. Both will have a custom panel. The opening for the dishwasher will be 24" so I assume I need a set of side filler strips. Also, is a handle included?

The Miele site both says that one is and isn't included. The door handles link under Optional Accessories Not Included has the square handle highlighted with a note that says "Highlighted row indicates included handle." Very confusing... does one come with the appliance or not?

This post was edited by schicksal on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:52

Comments (12)

• schicksal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I nearly posted on the other thread about it until I was on AJ Madison and wasn't sure if the dishwasher and warming drawer come with a handle or not and it became two issues.

About the side to side dimension though - I'm a bit afraid of installing the cabinets that close together because in the future, what if 23 5/8" dishwashers are no longer available? It would be little to no cost for the cabinet people to make removable spacers though, to take the size of the opening down to 23 5/8". The cabinets are going to be full custom so anything is possible. Thanks for the picture - I was expecting something more like a seal or gasket.

• deeageaux
    9 years ago

Yes, you need a handle.

You can over size the door panel a bit to visually fill the gap

Most people recommend 24" instead of 60 cm/ 23 5/8" so you can switch to an American brand in the future.

In Europe 60 cm is standard. Europe will not switch to 24". I doubt Miele and Asko will make 23 5/8 for Europe and 24" for North America. I am pretty confident Miele will not pull out of the North American dishwasher Market. Bosch may make one size for America and one for Europe but I think their top of line models will always be European size.

• fauguy
    9 years ago

reuters,

My Miele Diamante Plus that I had installed a few years ago came with 3 gray rubber strips already installed (two on the sides and one on the top). It was like this from the factory. Since my opening was 24" wide, it filled the gap just fine.
    But even at the Miele Showroom in Boca FL, all the unites there are installed in the proper 60cm (23 5/8") space and they have those same rubber strips on the top and sides.

It was my understanding that the "filler strips" was even bigger, which is what someone said in here a couple years ago.

• schicksal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks about the handle! Now maybe we can place part one of our order today. I've installed plenty of appliances before so we're looking at AJ Madison because they seem pretty well established online.

I think the rubber strips are more like gaskets that do a lot of sound sealing, but the filler strips I completely misunderstood until reuters was kind enough to post a picture. For some reason I was expecting those to be like gaskets too because no one that sells them posts pictures anywhere.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

The photo to use for installation purposes is not reuters. His dishwasher is not properly installed and it's been an ongoing issue for him.

The one to use is the one posted by whirlpool trainee (Alex) on the other thread.

If you want to do the dw justice, have them install it in a 23-5/8 inch wide space. And be sure it looks like Alex's on top. There should be no gap.

I wouldn't worry about having to install a 24" dishwasher in the future. I would customize the opening since you are, arguably, buying the best dishwasher on the market and one which should have a 15- 20 year life. By then, it will be time to change out the cabinets anyway.

• reuters
    9 years ago

I agree with schicksal that those rubber strips are more like gaskets. In a narrow opening, they bend forward. In a wider opening, they go straight out.

I also agree with rococogurl that no one should rely on the photo of my installation for guidance. I just wanted to show schicksal what the filler strips looked like on my machine.

fauguy: I recently came across the post that described the filler strips as running from the front to the back of the dishwasher. However, I watched the technician install the filler strips that Miele sells today (for around $60), and they do not extend back very far. If there had been more expensive strips that went all the way to the back of the unit, I would have gladly bought them.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

I would go with a 24" opening. This is really a non-issue. 3/8's of an inch.

What I did for our Miele:I ripped a thin piece of pine - and stained it about the same color as the cabinets - with a touch-up pen. Use a little longer screw to go through the side of the DW and the filler strip.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

The size of the opening is not an issue if you dont care about the dishwasher being noisier than it should/could be.

• schicksal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

23 5/8 by means of wood strips, it is. I'm the installer except for the front panel and just planned on following the instructions to the letter, or picture in this case since there are no letters. :) The instructions give no tolerance for the top of the dishwasher against the countertop and small object you install in step 6/7 so I'll assume that it's "snug" but not overly tight so the gasket can get a good seal without transfer of vibration from the dishwasher to the countertop. It's odd that the larger piece remains in place for wood countertops but only a small one is used for stone.

The picture below looks great.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

Reuters,

I know this is an old thread, but could you post a picture bof what your unit looks like with the door closed and the filler strips on the side?

My Diamante Plus model from 2010 died on me earlier this year, and I just bout a new in box Crystal G6625 for $1200 to replace it. The one thing that I didn't like was since the cabinet (done in 2006) was 24" wide (had a GE then Electrolux), the that when the Miele was installed in 2010 there was a noticeable gap on each side when the stainless door was closed. But it it the door open, those gray gaskets on the side filled in that area where the side-mounting screws are.

Now with getting the new Crystal G6625 next week, I'm thinking about getting the Stainless filler strips just so it may look nicer with less of a gap on each side when the door is closed.

• fauguy
    5 years ago

I got in the filler strips earlier this week and the Crystal G6625 is being installed today. From the paper that came with the filler strips, it looks like the adhesive part sticks to the side of the dishwasher. Then you slide the dishwasher with the strips attached into the cabinet opening and use the 4 side mounting screws. I did see holes on the sides of the filler strips.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022