Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yoyopa

Help - Repair or Replace Problem - Gerhard's Appliances

yoyopa
15 years ago

I purchased high end appliances from Gerhard's in Glenside, PA. I was happy until a continuing problem with my GE Monogram trash compactor still goes unresolved. Thank goodness it's not the Liebherr or Gaggenaus! Immediately out of the box we noticed a problem with the unit and called Gerhard's. So far, two attempts to repair it have been unsuccessful. They have a "repair or replace" on the bill of sale. I want this unit replaced; they continue to try to repair it: now they want to replace the door and tracks. I did not pay for a refurbished model. Has anyone else dealt with anything similar? Any suggestions? I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

Comments (18)

• weissman
    15 years ago

It really depends on the terms of the repair or replace. If you noticed the problem right out of the box before it was installed, you probably could have immediately returned it for a new one. As far as repair or replace, they might be allowed for example three or five times to repair before they replace. You actually may be better off with them repairing it - a new one out of the box might still have the same problem. Be glad the store is stepping up to the issue - they could have referred you to GE as a warranty issue.

• yoyopa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I still don't know what to think. A defective toaster could be returned to Target for a replacement - no questions asked. Here, a brand new appliance, and not an inexpensive one, was immediately noticed as defective. There have been two unsuccessful attempts to repair - and who is to say the repair just won't be temporary or some additional problem exists now undetected that will arise later - perhaps after warranty; something is not right with this unit. I didn't pay full price for a refurbished model. I just don't know if that's what I'd call "stepping up to the issue." And this was a sale that included other items, not an unsubstantial sale.I'm trying to believe that customer service is not dead and that the store will, in fact, step up. But thanks for your thoughts. Has anyone else been subjected to a 'repair or replace?'

• theapplianceguru
    15 years ago

Having been on the retail side of things, hopefully I can shed a little light. The retailer, Gerhard's in this case, is the middle man. Once the appliance is used they can't just take it back with no resolution between them and GE or they'll be out the $600 or so dollars (if they did this, they'd be out of business quickly, as almost every full kitchen package will have at least one appliance that needs some sort of repair).

Now, if the product has an ongoing problem (which yours sounds like it does) they should be able to get GE, especially Monogram, to replace the unit. Something I found to help this along is you, as the consumer, actually getting involved with the Monogram people (they have their own customer service line) and for you to let them know the problems you have and what you expect (in a nice way). 9 out of 10 times you'll have luck with getting the unit swapped out - Monogram, as I eluded to earlier, is particularly good at this.

If it was me, I'd wait for the third repair to happen and see if it solves the problem. (I'd also ask Gerhard's to get you a 5 year warranty on the item at cost, which should be around $60-70). Hope you can find some sort of peace with this.

The Guru has Spoken

Here is a link that might be useful: The Appliance Guru Reviews, Advice, Giveaways and Commentary

• yoyopa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for your response/explanation. That gives me a better idea of the backdrop to this. Much appreciated.

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

So a dealer advertises you won't get stuck with a lemon, yet he won't take it back and replace it because he would be stuck with the cost of the unit so it would be better for you to be stuck with the retail price of the unit. SCREAM at them
    they are a big enough dealer with GE that they should get a simple return authorization.

• theapplianceguy_2009
    15 years ago

DON'T SCREAM AT THEM! You have to make it clear that you have received multiple repairs and that you would like it replaced, but yelling makes people not want to help you. It may cause the very people you need on your side (the salesman) to dig their feet in and say no. Most stores "repair or return policy" is simply the manufacturer's policy which means only if it is unrepairable, they will process a return.

• yoyopa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

UPDATE: STILL no trash compactor. Fourth repair visit tomorrow. I have been reasonable and have not screamed; however, now I am thinking small claims court or even class action. This repair or replace is a consumer's nightmare. Neither Gerhard's nor GE are doing anything. Tomorrow will be the last time I allow an attempt to repair. SO FRUSTRATING.
    I am waiting on a call from the owner's of Gerhard's since the salesperson does not return my calls.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

I've had 2 GE appliances replaced by GE because they were unable to repair the item while under warranty. I didn't contact the store where I bought it, I contacted GE for repair.

One was a GE profile trash compactor. I had a 5 year extended warranty from GE. A tiny plastic part broke on the door and the door would not stay shut. GE no longer made that particular part. So they replaced my compactor with a new one. It required documentation by a GE repairman that the part was not available. That was in 2004. The best part is that I only had 3 months left on the warranty.

My second appliance was a side by side GE Profile refrigerator at our vacation home. I also had a 5 year warranty. During the first year or two it just never seemed to stay cool enough on the refrigerator side. The freezer was fine. We thought it was because we were loading the refrigerator with room temperature and opening the door too often. GE service came out twice and changed some parts. But it still didn't help. I kept a large jug of water with a thermometer inside and kept track of the temperature. It averaged 38 but often it was 42. That's not a safe food temperature.

GE came out again for a 3 repair and this time the repairman told me to ask for a new unit. He told me that GE changed the design after this unit was made because of high temperatures in the frig. Now this took lots of phone calls and 2 more repair visits but GE came through in the end. They replaced it with a new side by side.

First- document everything- the time and date of every call, the name of the customer service rep and what they said. Keep track of all repair receipts. Then escalate - ask for a supervisor. Don't scream, just be reasonable but insistent.

Good luck.

• yoyopa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No call from Bud Gerhard. McMann, I was told by Eric, the salesperson, that the store is addressing the problem in conjunction with the GE Rep, and that GE is stalling on replacing the item. I was told by Eric that he asked the GE salesperson to call me because he was unsuccessful at getting the "return authorization" and maybe I'd do better - however, no call from GE and today is the fourth attempt - is this the way Gerhard's does business? Is this common among appliance retailers? It seems a vague and undedfined 'replace or repair' clause would not hold up if challenged in a class action - this is just unbelievable.

• User
    14 years ago

The manufacturer is the one supplying the warranty. Retailers don't have much pull with any of them either, small family owned or big box. I personally know of several issues that even big box stores were unable to resolve for a customer until they went through the whole cycle of repair visits from the GE authorized warranty techs. Even Lowes or HD can't make GE move faster or perform outside what their warranty specifies that they will do. The retailer is completely uninvolved with warranty issues, except to maybe gripe at their rep about it. They are not a service provider under that manufacturer's warranty, nor do they do anything but act as a conduit of sales between the consumer and the manufacturer. "Local service" is pretty much a dead issue as the mega corporations and bargain hunting consumers have really tightened down margins. They can't afford to take the financial hit of taking back defective products unless the manufacturer gives them the OK. Legally, it's all the manufacturer, as they are the ones providing the warranty, and the retailer is never even in the picture on warranty service.

THe good news is that they (eventually) get around to replacing an appliance if the consumer is persistant and documents the attempts at repair.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

Just some thoughts- If their sales receipt says "repair or replace" - you might have to live with a repair. However if you have 4 unsuccessful repair attempts I think that's enough. I live in South Jersey and I recognize the Gerhard name- is the Glenside store the main store? If they are unable to repair your compactor today have you considered going into the store and asking for the manager? This might be a big sales weekend for them and there should be a manager present and I doubt they would want an unhappy customer on the sales floor. If the GE representative hasn't contacted you ask Eric for the rep's phone number. I doubt they'll give it out but it's worth a try.

You could call GE- and start a paper/phone call trail there too. It's a real headache dealing with GE- you'll find yourself explaining the problem over and over and over- often to reps who are difficult to understand - and you'll be placed on hold, and they'll drop your call and you'll get frustrated. Oh gee I'm reliving my experience all over again. But in my case it worked.

Thankfully a compactor isn't a necessity and your kitchen can still function. Imagine if this were a refrigerator.
    Let's hope they fix it today and your problem will be resolved.

• yoyopa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Service guy just left. He opened the box and we all saw right away that the piece was damaged - that's it. I will not accept a fifth attempt at repair. I spoke to Rich Gerhard (co-owner of Gerhard's in Glenside, PA)and he said we will discuss on Tuesday. I wish I had gone with the Kitchenaid compactor which I had before with no problems. However, I went with the GE Monogram because the handles matched the Gaggenaus and Liebherr better. Let's see what GE and Gerhard's is willing to do. So far, this has been a nightmare - about two months now.

• heide08
    14 years ago

I'm just getting ready begin my own house reno in the phila area and have been visiting gerhard's for a while because they carry many of the high end appliances I am considering and they have a great reputation for service.

Yoyopa's posts are certainly concerning. If Gerhard's can't even deal with proper service on a relatively minor appliance I don't think I'd want to chance dealing with them on the major ones. Even if GE is part of the problem (and I will surely think 3 times before dealing with GE, too)

Anybody have great things to say about other appliance dealers in Phila/So Jersey area?

No retailer is perfect, I guess, but if the big reason I am considering dealing with the local brick and mortar instead of an online dealer is their service then...

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

Cheer up PC Richards is coming to PA

• maryland_irisman
    14 years ago

In many localities, if the same repair attempt is made 3 times on a new product and it has not been repaired,the product falls under a lemon law and the consumer is entitled to a replacement. You can call your local consumer affairs group to see if you have that available to you.
    I agree the store is merely the middle man. However there is a lot of clout that store has with getting you the attention you need. They can tell the GE Rep that if they won't address the problem, it is affecting the store's reputation in a negative way and they will have to stop offering GE products. If the Rep. stands a chance of losing an account, he'll surely do something. You'll see a lot of retailers who refuse to sell certain brands.
    The problem nowadays is one company may sell the same product under several brand names. I saw this first hand with Fedders and Norge window airconditioning when on a factory tour a few years ago. The line had a number of orders for Fedders and a number of Norges. All that happened was they put a different front on the Fedders and one that looked different under the Norge. It was the same exact equipment.

• yoyopa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good News - finally. After 4 attempts, Gerhard's is replacing the compactor. We spoke and it is in the works. I will report back when the new compactor is installed. Rich Gerhard seemed sincere in wanting to resolve this issue. Thanks to all. And, hopefully, the final update is forthcoming.

• hannaF
    9 years ago

When you use things, they will bust.You need to always consider downgrading as a choice for your appliances when they break. The move may really save you money. Read this: Don't replace, downgrade. Indeed, you have to consider the lifetime costs of an item rather than the immediate costs.

• nadianyc
    9 years ago

A bit off topic, but you mention that you also purchased Liebherr and Gagenau products from Gerhards. Which appliances did you purchase and are you happy with those? Specifically interested on your thoughts regarding Liebherr as I'm highly considering their refrigeration products for my kitchen remodel. Thanks!