Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twoblackdogs_gw

Help! Range died. Need suggestions ASAP!

twoblackdogs
11 years ago

My ~20 year old Kitchenaid Superba convection gas slide in range bit the dust over the weekend. So now need to replace it. I don't really want to spend more than $3500, and it has to be another 30" slide in range - which limits my choices -

Would prefer self cleaning, but may consider ones without. Right now looking at the following:

Dacor Distinctive DR30GIS
KitchenAid Pro Line Series KGSS907XSP

Comments, suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Comments (5)

• jwvideo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

IIRC that Dacor runs about $2800-$3000 and does not have a self-cleaning oven. If you've searched here on Dacor stoves, you don't need me to tell you that the reviews are mixed and anumbers of the negative reviews have been about the electronics.

That Kitchenaid does have self-cleaning and may be a lot like the Superba you are replacing. I looked at this model last fall when I was stove shopping. Seems to me it was more expensive back then, around $2400. I see AJMadison has it listed now for abot $2,050. IIRC, this stove has a triple tier 15k-btu-hr burner which can be useful with boiling water in larger pots. The other burners were standard capped-ring styles which were 12k and two 6k burners.

I passed on this KA because of some personal preferences. Let me emphasize that these are personal preferences. One of them is that I wanted to have both larger burners up front, while this one has the 15k burner at the left front with the 12k burner at the right rear. Second, for the way I cook and what I cook with, a 6k simmer burner would not get used much, and this stove has two of them. Third, Kitchenaid and Whirlpool have had a surprising rate of circuitboard/oven controller failures and shutdowns from self-cleaning operations. Do a search. I had the impression that the company had made some design changes in 2012 -- mostly adding a bigger circuit board cooling fan --- that was supposed to have fixed the problem, but I was not sure that had happened with the models I was looking at back then. Might want to research that.

Have you looked at the GE Cafe gas stoves. They are slide-in style stoves without the cooktop which overhangs the countertops (which is how most slide-ins come these days.) Models CGS975, 985 and 990. The first is similar in design to the KA with a few more features including a fifth griddle burner (which some like and some don't) and the option for locking out the control knobs (might be handy if toddlers are running around the kitchen. The oven is bigger, as well. The CGS985 turns the warming drawer into a "baking drawer." (It's basically like a 120v countertop toaster oven that has been shoehorned into a warming drawer at the bottom of the stove. The CGS990 gives you two fully functional gas ovens.

If you can/will consider pro-style gas stoves, have a look at the Blue Star RCS ($3500) and the NXR ($2000). Neither have self-cleaning ovens. The BS has open burners, a heavier duty construction, and a large following here at GW so you can find all kinds of info on them. The NXR is a very nice stove for $2k, which makes it currently the least expensive pro-style range available in the US. As you doubtless know, it too has a following here at GW. Both stoves can be adapted for use as a slide-in. One possible downside is that the NXR is almost 30" wide where most slide-ins are 29 7/8" wide. Might or might not make a difference to your installation, but something to consider.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 16:26

• julieste
    11 years ago

I'd had self-cleaning for a long time and went without it this time around because of all the reports here of ranges with the self-clean feature self destructing due to overheating their circuit board. Just something else to think about for you.

• twoblackdogs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

JWVideo - thanks for the very informative post!
    I guess I've been lucky with my KA over the years and not frying out the circuit board during the self clean. I'm going to check out the GE Cafe this weekend. Sadly since I live in a rural area, good showrooms are hard to find, and I'd actually like to see the range I get! Grr.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

>>>"since I live in a rural area, good showrooms are hard to find,. ."Me, too. Still, our state's biggest city -- a small town by most people's standards -- is an hour away and has a Sears, a Lowe's, and a couple of long-lived appliance stores . Between them, I was able to find and touch both the KA and Cafe. I almost bought a floor model of the Cafe Dual Fuel, but a bidding war took the price above my budget.

Interestingly enough, our small town's hardware store had a Blue Star RCS sitting on the floor (ordered but never picked up by the customer). The sold it to someone I know and she has been very pleased with it. Some friends of mine on the coast have had a 36" NXR for years and I wound up buying a 30" model from Costco. I had qualms about buying something sight unseen but went ahead because Costco would have let me bring it back for a full refund if I didn't like it. So far, I do like it and I take needinfo's point to console myself over the lack of oven self-cleaning functions.

• dixiedarlin10
    11 years ago

Relative in NJ recently installed this Jennair gas slide-in after renovating due to Superstorm Sandy. Has nothing but praise for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jennair gas slide-in range