Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Cafe optional SS backguard damage

Posted by Vince7274 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 9:29

SS is discolored - large brown stain -from heat at center vent. Have not found anything to clean it. GE tech has ordered replacement backguard but has no explaination on how/why this occured. Anyone else have problem and found a solution?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Cafe optional SS backguard damage

You called for a technician because your range was dirty?

o

Did you try a paste of Barkeepers Friend?

o

Barkeepers Friend - thanks for the tip. I'll try to locate some and give it a try.
Oceangirl67 - My concern is that nothing I've tried has worked. The metal appears to be scorched as opposed to soiled. The vent design forces the exhaust to chimney against the ss face of the backguard causing the discoloration.

o

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can have some Bar Keepers Friend at your house in two days for $5.08 delivered.

Here is a link that might be useful: BK's Friend

o

That's standard for any high heat range. Nothing will work to "correct" it. GE customer service dweebs should have told you that this is completely normal and will reoccur should you replace the stainless.

o

Does that mean users will have to start using the dreaded aluminum foil over that area?

o

Is it safe to assume that without the backguard, the tiles (if that's the backsplash) would be suffering from the discoloration? Or is this an exhaust problem?

o

Is it safe to assume that without the backguard, the tiles (if that's the backsplash) would be suffering from the discoloration?

Ceramic tiles wouldn't discolor from the heat. They were fired to much higher temperatures than that in their manufacture.

o

Update:
GE is refusing to replace the backguard because it is an "accessory" thus not covered by range wattenty. Hour plus on phone to different reps to no avail. Finally customer relations agreed to send the replacement but no installation.

Tried BK Friend - paste soft cleanser in hidden area. Changes look-reflectivity of the stainless and won't give it a serious try until replacement backguard in hand.

The high backguard looks good but now think it is impractical and not worth the price.

o

This is what stainless does, depending on its quality. I have All-Clad pans that look fine. I have a Henckel pan that darkened after its first use. Guess which one was cheaper?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here