Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yolandarae

dishwasher and hard water- limeaway?

yolandarae
15 years ago

My dishwasher is a GE triton about 5 years old. Our water is extremely hard. My dishes aren't coming clean. I ran limeaway through a couple of times and got a bunch of crud out. It's a real pain though. Is there a better way short of installing a water softener? Any detergent better than others for hard water? Will lime away hurt my dishwasher? When I remember, I pour a little vinegar in the rinse cycle. Where do I find citric acid to clean it out with? If I must get a new dishwasher, what do you recommend? On a budget of $700 or less.

Thanks,

Yolanda

Comments (16)

• cpovey
    15 years ago

Actually, you have a simple problem and remedy. Get some Dishwasher Magic. It is a DW cleaner. The main ingredient (about 50%) is citric acid, but it contains some detergents, and other things as well. The container is designed to dispense the contents during the hottest part of the wash, so that it does the most good.

You might need to start with a double dose (2 containers in one wash or sequential containers in two washes) to help remove the build-up. Then use as necessary, maybe monthly. Follow the directions.

Many grocery stores carry it, as does K-Mart.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Get some Lemi-Shine. I use regular DW detergent in the prewash cup & about 1-1.5 T of Lemi-Shine in the main wash cup.

Walmart & Target both carry the Lemi-Shine granules in my area but not the rinse aid. I'm using a vinegar variety of JetDry for the time being.

Anyway, my DW went from being just about useless to being my pride & joy--and all thanks to another GW'er who posted about LS. (I have moderately hard water.)

Here is a link that might be useful: LemiShine

• yolandarae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've heard of people using the breakfast drink mix "Tang" to clean their DW.
    Anything to that?

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

Found out about Tang 20years ago and have been using it ever since. It really works well, the acidic acid cleans out the wash arms so that they clean like new.

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

"Where do I find citric acid to clean it out with?"

Here is a link that might be useful: the last Tang and Citric Acid discussion... ;-)

• kelly726
    15 years ago

I can totally relate to the hardwater / dishwasher issue. Link below is to the product I use which I like b/c it really gets the powdery film off my plates. And I probably mix it in with my detergent powder every other run.

Here is a link that might be useful: dishwasher cleaner

• yolandarae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is fruit fresh citric acid? That's all I could find in the canning section except pectin.

• sparky823
    15 years ago

Get you the Dishwasher Magic and let it do the job. All YOU have to do is stick it in the silverware basket and it dispenses at the right time to do the best job and it is GREAT. Under $4 at Wal Mart

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Fruit Fresh is sugar & ascorbic acid. Basically sugar & Vitamin C. What you need to look for is 'Mrs. Wages Citric Acid for Home Canning Tomatoes'.
    If you can find the Lemi-Shine (under $4 for 15 oz), it will be more cost effective. Better yet is to buy citric acid in bulk.

Dishwasher Magic is a one-shot treatment. It will really clean up your DW using just one cycle. Lemi-Shine is great for maintenance or getting the DW cleaned up over several cycles.

• bbqbear
    15 years ago

sounds like if I put my used up limes out of my gin & tnics in the DW, all will be well

• bbqbear
    15 years ago

sounds like if I put my used limes of my gin & tonics to good use in the DW, all will be well

• Joe Blowe
    15 years ago

Too many gin and tonics last night?

• john_com
    15 years ago

I guess that means the more you drink the cleaner your dishwasher will be...gulp

• judithn
    15 years ago

I second the poster who suggested Lemi-Shine. $3.99 for a jar at my local Wal-Mart. The repair man who came to fix my appliances took one look at the inside of my Asko and told me I had to get the stuff. He told me to run a few empty loads with full strength lemi shine then to mix it with my regular cascade powder 50-50 ration for every load. It has made a huge difference in our dishes and all the caked on calcium inside the door of the DW is gone.

• yolandarae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. I did do the dishwasher magic. Noticed a slight differece. Used the lemi shine and noticed a huge difference. I'm gonna have to start using less detergent now. I noticed quite a bit of suds in the rinse cycle.
    Thank you for solving my problem! I'm thinking about running a load of lemi shine through my He3t frontload washer. Any thoughts on that? I know there is a separate forum for laundry. Just thought I'd ask for opinions since we're on the subject here.
    Thank you so much!

• yolandarae
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just found lemishine rinse aid at my grocery store!