Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madymo3d

Whirlpool oven code E3 F2

madymo3d
12 years ago

Last night I turned the oven on to bake brownies. After about 30 minutes I check on the brownies and saw the broiler element is on and my oven thermometer is pegged hot (probably 600F+). I turn the oven off on the control panel and the broiler element stayed on. I cycle the breaker in my electric box and the oven comes back on full blast. It seems to be stuck in self clean mode. At some point code E3 F2 or E2 F3 came on. According to one web site, this is a code for oven temp too high.

My first instinct is to switch out the control panel circuit, which looks to be $200-300, which is borderline not worth it. The breaker is off now. If any electricity goes to it the self clean mode is on. I feel this is a very bad failure mode from a product design perspective. If anything should fail, and they always do, it should fail to turn on, not full blast with safety device disabled (door unlatched) and possibly starting something on fire. I could have gone to sleep or left the house thinking the oven is off meanwhile it's on full blast all night.

I did run the self clean recently, maybe 1 week ago and have used it once or twice since.

Comments (3)