Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue star rnb vs rcs

Posted by bumpyroad (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 9:00

Hi all,
I am trying to decide between the Blue Star 36" RNB and RCS. I'm leaning very hard toward the RCS because, though I'm into cooking, I can't see spending $1900 extra on the 22K BTU burners, especially since I can cook a great (if I may say so myself) holiday meal for 15 on my 48 year old Tappan range. I called BS and asked about differences (specifically about lower grade stainless on the RSC). They said there were absolutely no differences in quality of ss, or anything - said differences were no color choice, no BTU custom choice, lower over-all BTU's and different color oven interior. My dealer is pushing the RNB - told me the RCS has no convection (wrong) and the RNB interior was double baked on ceramic. Thoughts?
BTW, is there anyway to tell how many BTU's the flame on my Tappan puts out? There is nothing in the (48 year old - yes I still have it) manual that says. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue star rnb vs rcs

Don't be too tough on your BS dealer, previous generation RCS ranges did not have convection ovens.

My guess on vintage Tappan range would be about 9k-12k btu burners.

Generally the cheaper range people are considering is the better value,and this is especially true here. The RCS with convection oven is a really really good value. You always need to pay that extra premium for more performance.

But there is a reason there are Dozens of RNB fanatics that post here every week and rarely an RCS owner raving about his range.

o
RE: blue star rnb vs rcs

I too am looking at the same question so I will follow your journey.

I also have a 45 yr old Caloric which works well( I really love the open burners with center and exterior flames) and when I tried to find out the BTUs (answer.com) they told me the info was not available, but estimated about 8000 so it looks as though the expert (deeageaux) knows what he is talking about

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here