Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buildinva

Induction Slide In Range Recommendations, please!

buildinva
11 years ago

I'm having a difficult time with this decision! What do you have and love? Or hate? Are any of the under $3,000 models good? Anything new out there? Help please!!!!!

This post was edited by buildinva on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 9:00

Comments (16)

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

I think you meant to ask this: for a budget of $3k, are there any slide-in induction ranges besides the GE PHP925STSS, the Kenmore Elite Slide in Model# 45013, and Frigidaire's hybrid radiant-induction range, FPCS3085LF?

The way you phrased your request implies that you didn't t believe anything that anybody said in the already existing threads on specific models. In cse the search function did not work for you, I've put a line at the bottom of this post to take you to the long-running thread on the GE slide-in.

Or, perhaps you were flummoxed by Lowes and Sears currently listing the GE for $3199 and did not realized that you could get price matching by showing them that the likes of AJ Madison are offering it for $2877 with free shipping. (I think I saw a posting here recently that noted either Plessers or Goedeckers was offering it for $2499.) A friend of mine told me that Sears is actually asking $2700 for the stove when ordered on-line. Apparently you have to add the stove to a "cart" to see the actual price.

FYI, the Kenmore slide-in is made for Sears by Electrolux-Frigidaire.

New stuff is forecast, but, at present, the only confirmed new slide-in mentioned here is the one that GE is supposed to be releasing late this year. Fauguy has reported that the new slide-in model is supposed to be less epxensive, probably a PHP915 to match the PHS915 free-standing model.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE slide-in induction range

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 15:59

• llaatt22
    11 years ago

The next month or so is often when present induction range models in production are discounted to boost final orders and the early fall has new models coming with incentives, much like how new cars get marketed.
    You are asking about a very small niche within what remains as a niche product category. Basically you have a choice of one from GE and two from Electrolux, plus Kenmore variants.

If you are replacing a gas range, getting another gas range seems like the way to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears gas ranges page

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

>>>"If you are replacing a gas range, getting another gas range seems like the way to go."Maybe yes, maybe no. Otherwise, very good point. On the upcoming GE induction slide-in, the new one is probably an addition to the line rather than a replacement for the present PHP925. Has your old stove died and are you in a position where to need something right now? If not, you;ve got a lot more choices.

Also, a very perceptive comment by laat2 that you consider actual stoves. When you compare one real stove against another, you may very well find that one stove serves you better than another, and the one you prefer might be a gas stove. So, even if you think you are looking for induction, you may well find that one particular gas stove winds up meeting more of your requirements a little better than the induction stove that fits within your budget.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 1:15

• sewlutions
    11 years ago

I believe that Whirlpool, Maytag, and Kitchenaid now have induction slide in ranges. Each is a little different from the other.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

You do know that all three brands are owned by Whirlpool?

I had no idea that WP was offering slide-ins in addition to the current free-standing indution stoves. If you have a link that shows the slide-ins, plese post it. I'm sure a lot of lfoks here would be interested.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

As of now, Whirlpool and its brands don't have an induction slide-in, but I wouldn't be surprised if one does come out.

Regarding GE, the current PHS925 is the first slide-in that GE had, with the PHB925 being a free-standing. There is a new PHB915 free standing coming out this year, as it was on AJMadison for a few weeks before they removed it. The only difference I noticed was the PHB925 has stainless on the edges around burners, while the PHB915 was black ceramic on the sides of the glass-top. There's no info yet if there's going to be a new slide-in, but with the PHS925 being a few years old, I'm would think a new model would come out either this year or the next.

• fauguy
    11 years ago

This was the phb915

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/PHB915SDSS.html

• coco4444
    11 years ago

I still love mine, although a fresh look at the thread I started suggests some people are having problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: electrolux slide-in induction

• sewlutions
    11 years ago

My bad! Whirlpool, etc. Is a free standing range. I'm just glad to see more moderate priced induction ranges.

• sewlutions
    11 years ago

My bad! Whirlpool, etc. Is a free standing range. I'm just glad to see more moderate priced induction ranges.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up.

• buildinva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input! This website is so helpful, and I really appreciate the time everyone spent responding.

JWVideo--I have read dozens of your posts and really respect and appreciate your knowledge of appliances. Thanks for your input. Flummoxed? Bewildered? Confused? Yup, I definitely am! Honestly I'm overwhelmed by the entire process of renovating. Neither my husband nor I have any skills in this area, and we are finding the hundreds of "small" decisions we must make are suffocating at times. We know it will be worth it in the end, and some days are better than others! This week has been hard.

No, I did not know that Lowe's would price match AJ Madison. That's awesome. Thanks!

I have had a gas range for 10 years and love it. HOWEVER, our new house does not have natural gas on the property and getting it there is about $2,000. Since we don't need it for anything else, that lead me to consider induction. I have seen the demonstration, viewed it at a friend's house, and spent hours reading the pros & cons. I'm actually really excited about it and think it will be great. Not to mention our summers here are ferocious and I would love to put less heat into the kitchen.

I just wish there were more options to choose from!

laat2--I think you hit the nail on the head. I didn't fully realize the "niche" idea until you said it, so thanks. That was helpful.

fauguy--Thanks for that information. Unfortunately, I need this range by July for our new (old) home we are renovating.

Co-Co--Thanks for the link. I have read your thread, and the slow pre-heat time on the oven is one of the reasons I was looking for another option. I use the oven frequently, and love that my currently one is hot in just a couple of minutes.

I guess I was really hoping for a new option that I hadn't discovered on my own!

This post was edited by buildinva on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 16:52

• llaatt22
    11 years ago

If you are a long time user of gas ranges and your next range must be electric and a slide in, try to wait and see if more induction choices turn up in the fall.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

>>>"I use the oven frequently, and love that my currently one is hot in just a couple of minutes.Thanks for the compliments.

You may be unduly worried about oven preheating. To be sure, the ovens in the slide-ins (and many other electric and dual fuel stoves,) have "hidden" baking elements and those can take a little longer to preheat an oven. But really, most oven heat sensors and alarm/beeps are only measuring how hot the air in the oven is. That heats up really quickly even with hidden bake elements. Thing is, a major part of oven heating --- and a major factor in even baking, convection or no --- is radiant heating from the walls. Myhrvold's Modernist Cusine group go on about this at some length (worse than Cooks Illustrated, if you can imagine that). But they are right about it. It takes almost any oven (except a speed oven) a while to get properly pre-heated. Really,, when an oven display beeps to tell you it is hot, the oven is rarely properly heated. You need to give the whole compartment time to properly heat up, which general takes time. I find it makes a BIIIGGG difference in how well an oven bakes.

So, I wouldn't worry about the heat-up time unless it goes out beyond half an hour.

Wish you luck with your shopping and construction. Sounded like fun until you actually had to deal with it, huh?

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 16:41

• buildinva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, JWVideo. That's helpful, too. You are right, this sounded a lot more fun before I began! I knew it would be hard, but I didn't think it would be paralyzing at times. It's ok--it's a good stretch for us.

laat2--I wish we could, but we are moving in this summer and can't be without a range.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Oh, and on Lowe's price matching to AJ Madison: kinda seems to be variable and dependent on the whims of the local Lowe's store personnel. I've linked to a thread below that discusses this subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about price matching by Lowe's and BB