Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Siemens/Bosch dishwasher won't heat properly

Posted by martinlarsen (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 8:45

Our Siemens SE36A290SK dishwasher (identical to the Bosch model, except for the name) does not heat properly. It runs for many hours before finishing because the water never gets hot, only lukewarm, and the dishes aren't clean.

At first I thought it was the infamous "Runs forever, showing 1 minute" error caused by a defective relay or soldering on the controller board, but it does actually finish the cycle after about 8 hours. The timer starts at 199 minutes, slowly counts down to say 60 minutes, then goes up again to perhaps 130 minutes and so on. Finally it counts down to 1 minute and stays there for a long time while the machine is still rinsing. Normally it would be at the end of the drying cycle now. At last it finishes, though. It also does heat, albeit not very much, and eventually the water gets somewhat warm but it takes a very, very long time.

I have replaced the relays wity no luck. Also the solderings look fine and there are no other signs of problems on the board. Then I bought a clamp meter and measured the power consumption for the heater to be around 900 mA which explains why the water does not get hot.

Do you think the heater is defective or could there be another cause?

Basically I would like to know what I should do next to locate the problem. I am familiar with fixing stuff, having electronics as my hobby.

Thanks so much in advance,
Martin, Denmark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Siemens/Bosch dishwasher won't heat properly

Have you cleaned the pressure chamber and the heat exchanger located behind the left side of your dishwasher?

Alex

o

Alex,

The pressure chamber has been the cause twice for a similar problem as described here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0413510827197.html

Although the symptoms are much the same, there are differences not present this time:

- the special sound stemming from the lack of water in the sump
- the ability to help the dishwasher finishing the cycle by throwing 2-3 litres of water into it

Also, it does actually finish the cycle after 7-8 hours.

I am pretty sure the pressure chamber or heat exchanger isn't the cause this time. But I could check if you think it could be the cause even though the symptoms are different.

But what about the power consumption of the heater. At 900 mA at 230 V it consumes only around 100W. Even if the pressure chamber or heat exchanger was clogged, it would consume the same power, wouldn't it? I guest there is only a on/off function of the heater.

If not the heater itself, I am wondering if there could be a bad connection somewhere etc.

By all means correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions about how it works!

o

Yes, the heater can only be on or off. If the water level switch isn't satisfied, it won't let the heater turn on.

I skimmed the Universal Repair Manual from the German forum (only available in German) and it says:

Machine doesn't heat or gets stuck
- does is fill?
- does it drain?
- does it recirculate?

If yes -> check for defective relay.

If the relay is okay, the dishwasher probably doesn't take enough water in -> check the pressure chamber and the heat exchanger for clogs.

o

Can you give me a link to the repair manual?

Thanks.

o

Here's the General Manual and here is another one on how to clean the heat exchanger. You could also try Appliance Junk's Google Drive, which has service manuals for US Bosch dishwashers - these lack the heat exchanger, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here